Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My hunting partner shot his Gemsbok in New Mexico and bought over a loin. I am planning on grilling a couple steaks tomoorow for my son and I. Any recommendations would be great. Do you marinade the steaks and if so, how?

Thanks,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No experience with Gemsbok, but I would try wrapping in bacon and cook like any lean filet mignon

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do not overcook. It is lean so eat it rare. I wish I had friends like you

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My PH and his wife in Namibia cut it into 1/2" thick slices and marinate it in a little olive oil, vinegar, garlic and fine chopped onion for about 24 hrs. Then on an outdoor fire he sears the slices on a VERY hot grill just to sear it. He does it outside because the olive oil will flare up pretty high. Once seared they place the slices in a warm dutch oven next to the fire just to keep them warm an "rest" a few minutes before eating.

They are medium rare to medium, very lean and very tender. Just don't over cook it.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the help!

I have it in a marinade of olive oil, light dry rub and garlic now. I will let you know how it turns out.

ddj

Last edited by trouthunterdj; 03/22/11.

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That sounds good...like these other guys said...don't overcook it...I like it closer to rare..one of my favorite meats.Remember, like any steak, it will continue to cook inside after you've taken it off the grill, so take it off when you think it isnt quite ready...

It is some Goooooooood stuff!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
lucky.
that is the best game i've eaten. it's hard to go wrong with a little sea salt, fresh ground pepper and a very short time on the grill.

long before Rodriguez stole that goat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Treat it just like elk. It can be fantastic meat! shocked

Make saltimbocca with it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and serve with rosemary-roasted red potatoes.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks guys! It was spectacular. I found another reason to head to Africa...like I needed another excuse.

ddj

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
luv2safari, that is an awesome stove.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the wine recommendation. I agreed with a nice Cabernet. Perfect!

ddj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the old stove. It is a 1906 Ideal from San Francisco. It sits so low like the old stoves do, that I had to build a platform for it. It didn't take long to learn to judge temperatures in the oven by looking at the flame. wink

No "set it, and forget it" feature. grin

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only way to cook it is on a Braai.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Slider1
The only way to cook it is on a Braai.

there it is. put the venison overnight in red wine and unflavored yogurt, when you are done with the braai serve the meat with a dash of sour cream

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the tips, and keep them coming. I have a whole Oryx/gemsbok coming back (butchered of course) from my trip to New Mexico.
Cant wait to eat it.
W.:)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Woodsie, where are the pictures from your hunt?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
luv2safari:

Could you post the recipe for the rosemary roasted potatoes?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
My hunting partner shot his Gemsbok in New Mexico and bought over a loin. I am planning on grilling a couple steaks tomoorow for my son and I. Any recommendations would be great. Do you marinade the steaks and if so, how?

Thanks,

ddj

Do you know where he hunted and what the cost?

PM me if it is better for him at rboomhoweryahoo.ca

Thanks
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're easy...

Quarter red potatoes and sprinkle with olive oil and mix around. Salt & pepper to taste. I sprinkle a little garlic and onion powder on them...very little...so do it to your taste, then sprinkle with fresh rosemary if you have it or dried...the fresh goes Much farther...

I spread them in a shallow roasting pan and roast until just starting to brown and get crusty in a medium hot oven. In my oven the setting is "flame about to turn from all blue to yellow at the tips". wink

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.