Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone here using a Swacker broadhead? I tried the Rage 2 blade last year. i will try not to let this get into a Rage debate but I shot one deer with the Rage, a little high but not too high (still lung). I know this because my fletching stopped and didn't get a pass through. The arrow finally fell out about 30 yards away and that is where a faint blood trail started. No blood prior to that. The blood for about another 30 yards, then nothing...

OK, off the side track. I am looking at trying another mechanical and the guy at the local bow shop suggested Swacker mechanical. He said they were tough, good cutting width and there were no premature opening issues with faster bows. I was curious to see if anyone here had shot the Swacker broadheads and could give any feedback. Thanks in advance.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Heres my advice....leave the mechanicals at home and use fixed bladed broadheads...

Mechanicals can and will fail....a fixed blade wont provided it dont hit bone but that can be fixed by getting one with tougher blades.

Ever try Slicktricks?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
30 years plus archery hunting. Many animals harvested with a bow Stay away from mechanicals!!! Don't fall for the hype and marketing. Get a magnus ( 2 blade) or snuffer ( 3blade). Cannot believe people still use mechanicals. What idiots!!

I have never had a 2 or 3 blade head in over 30 years fail. Mechanicals are POS's.

Or listen to the BS hype and listen to the TV and guys that have been archery hunting 2-3 years. They know better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to my dictionary. Schwacker-fancy way of spelling schitt. Any quality fixed blade broadhead that flies true is more than capable of killing any game animal if you put it in the right place. Do note the word quality. There are some out there that suck just as much as the mechanicals. I would be looking at Slick Trick, Muzzy, Thunderhead, Magnus. Leave the mechanical hype on the shelf.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
I would be looking at Slick Trick, Muzzy, Thunderhead, Magnus. Leave the mechanical hype on the shelf.

My experience as well.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 no mechanicals. Call me old school, but you can get broadheads to fly like you field points. experiment with different shafts and fl etching configs. Don't get suckered into the speed trap.

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I never understood the mechanical hype. I have seen way too many failures. Any quality COC head flies just as well and ZERO chance of failure.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well you didn't ask me or any of us what we thought concerning the difference between mechanical's and fixed! You asked about our experience with Swackers? I have NO experience with the Swacker, I only shoot fixed (LOL)

Slick Tricks,

Randy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom264
Heres my advice....leave the mechanicals at home and use fixed bladed broadheads...

Mechanicals can and will fail....a fixed blade wont provided it dont hit bone but that can be fixed by getting one with tougher blades.

Ever try Slicktricks?

'Nuff said.

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rta48
Well you didn't ask me or any of us what we thought concerning the difference between mechanical's and fixed! You asked about our experience with Swackers? I have NO experience with the Swacker, I only shoot fixed (LOL)

+1

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started hunting with NAP Spitfire broadheads in 1988 in Connecticut and a few years later here in RI when they allowed them. I campaigned for them with fish and game for 3 or 4 years. I've got a degree in wildlife management and am a certified wildlife biologist (also certified to teach science) with 23 years of bow hunting experience. I hunt with and recommend Spitfire heads. I've used them for most of my hunting career and won't shoot anything else. My best friend who has hunted on damage permits, to the tune of taking deer in double digits the last 20 plus years, uses Spitfire heads... and nothing else. I recommend them, and there are at least a dozen hunters at my club who use them on my say. I hunt with them and process my own meat. I cut up 20+ deer a year for friends and see what broadheads do to flesh and bone, again and again. I've never seen anything that would make me want to change broadheads. The fact is they fly like field points and a 100 grain head cuts an inch and a half hole.

We're going on the hunt of a lifetime in Kansas this October. 8 of us. Most lifetime hunters. A biologist (me), two State hunting and bowhunting safety instructors, and 5 other hunters. We all shoot Spitfire heads. It's the only modern broadhead (except maybe a zwickey eskimo) that hasn't changed in the last 20+ years. That's as good a track record as can be.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Rocket steelhead is the only mech head I can recommend. They work great and are tough little heads that penetrait very well.

That said, Montecs are what I have used for years, and what I will continue to use. They fly great and I got 30"+ of penetration on a 160lb doe last year with a 53lb bowtech tribute. I don't need anything more effective than that.

Last edited by davet; 03/29/11.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, looks like the parade has been rained out.

Note to self, no one here has used a Swacker (Schwacker) broadhead and most people here say all mechanicals are POS even though I am guessing many have never used them.

I, too, have shot NAP Thunderheads for many years. I started with the 125g, then switched to 85g, trying to get more speed. I later went to 100g and have gone back to 125g. I have killed several deer with mechanicals so I didn't mean to get into the fixed vs. mechanical debate. (I am fairly certain that I asked for that type of input) I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the Schwacker as the local bowshop said he had great results with fast bows and no premature opening with them.
I am going to have to go back and tell him he is an idiot and the deer that he has killed with them muct have actually drowned in the creek as the mechanical could not have killed them. especially a Rage!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like they say...schitt happens. Mechanicals performing flawlessly is the exception not the norm. Tried several with pathetic results. I've even had a couple fixed blade heads fail(both due to shotty workmanship and design). But a quality fixed blade head that flies straight is a much higher percentage shot than ANY mechanical. Guess you better break out the umbrella grin

Custom Strings/Tuning
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by pondjumpr

Note to self, no one here has used a Swacker (Schwacker) broadhead and most people here say all mechanicals are POS even though I am guessing many have never used them.

I, too, have shot NAP Thunderheads for many years. I started with the 125g, then switched to 85g, trying to get more speed. I later went to 100g and have gone back to 125g. I have killed several deer with mechanicals so I didn't mean to get into the fixed vs. mechanical debate. (I am fairly certain that I asked for that type of input) I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the Schwacker as the local bowshop said he had great results with fast bows and no premature opening with them.
I am going to have to go back and tell him he is an idiot and the deer that he has killed with them muct have actually drowned in the creek as the mechanical could not have killed them. especially a Rage!
Thats fine!
It seems your mind is made up anyway so go ahead and get those Schwackers....and one day when a failure happens..and it will, come back to us and tell us.

And before you get antsied up about me using mechanicals...I have used them in the past and have had 1 I repeat 1 failure and it was on a giant 130+ inch Coues deer in AZ. the broadhead was a Puckets Bloodtrailer (about 12 yrs ago) I too was sold on the "mechanical will fly true like a fieldpoint" gimmik.

I hunt with about 10 other guys on occasion and we share many many results so I do infact have a bunch of mechanical experience.....wanna know something? in our group the mechanical vs fixed blade is a common talked about subject and in our case most of our lost/unrecovered deer have been shot with mechanicals and very few with fixed blades.

I'm talking 15 years of 10 or more guys results every year is compared and we ALL but one have gone back to fixed blades....and the guy who hasnt usually loses 2-3 deer a year...and the rest of us guys are getting sick of it! mad

But like I said you go and buy those Schwackers cause I'm sure they fly like field points (heres something...a properly tuned bow can shoot a fixed blade broadhead just like a field point too) and if when it fails....come back and tell us about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Haa! A Puckett's Bloodtrailer! That's the mechanical that gave all to follow a bad name. My last name is Puckett!

I got to a wild boar outfit in N.C. and before they let you hunt, they make you watch a video. In it, they say not to use mechanical broadheads, and they show a broken one... a Puckett's Bloodtrailer. What a dog that thin was.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Just an aluminum POS........with itty bitty tiny blades.

I have to say....probably the ultimate worst ever mechanical.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Few people here ( or anywhere) are on the mechanical bandwagon, outside of paid manufacturers spokesmen and the TV adds.

Get a package of slick tricks and put your efforts into something more important then the consideration of a mechanical. There may be a time in the future when they work consistently and become dependable. That day is looming and may actually be here now with one design or another. However I ( most of us) are not willing to be the guinea pigs to test the performance for the manufacturers. Especially not on our hard earned game and maybe the only shot you get in a whole season.

I like the idea of the mechanical, I just don't like the idea of a new "better" prototype from every manufacturer every six months. It's about as bad a new Microsoft Software constantly fixing the problems of the previous versions.

The Barnes X bullet was a dismal failure for consistency when it came out. I hated when my hunters used them more then any bullet made. They went thru a decade of revisions and new designs until finally creating the greatest hunting bullet available today. I use them exclusively now.

So I'm not anti Mechanical in theory,..... I'm anti mechanical doing the constant research trying to find which one actually works on my dime. The dust will settle eventually and people will see the cream rise to the top. Right now, nothing works with the consistency of a fixed blade..........not yet!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Just an aluminum POS........with itty bitty tiny blades.

I have to say....probably the ultimate worst ever mechanical.....
You are correct here, the Puckett was without a doubt the worst ever and also one of the first tries at a mechanical head, I would not base My opinion of mechanical broadheads on this, I have taken at least 20 whitetails over the past 8 or 10 seasons using the Wasp 75gr Jackhammer mechanical with zero lost deer, I did loose a nice buck last year in Ohio using a G5 Stryker, it can happen with any head, it has more to do with shot placement than anything..............Hillbilly.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pondjumpr

And before you get antsied up about me using mechanicals...I have used them in the past and have had 1 I repeat 1 failure and it was on a giant 130+ inch Coues deer in AZ. the broadhead was a Puckets Bloodtrailer (about 12 yrs ago) I too was sold on the "mechanical will fly true like a fieldpoint" gimmik.

That was sort of my point. I came on this site to ask if anyone had any experience with Schwacker broadheads. You, and a few others, decided to take it to a "all mechanicals suck" debate. Funny thing is, you had one failure (you didn't mention what the failure was... ie: bad shot placement, hit bone, missed deer, openned too early, etc.) and it was "about" 12 years ago. Then yuo proceed to say that all mechanical broadheads are junk and unreliable based on your vast contolled experiment of one thin "aluminum" that most people have never used or even heard of.

What if I said "I only use braided line while fishing now because I used monofilament one time, about 12 years ago and it broke when I was trying to land a fish. All Mono is junk and should be outlawed because some fish, somewhere is swimming around with a hook still in it's lip." "not only that, I fish with several guys who tried monofilament and said they had better success with braided line, too. One guy I fish with still uses Mono and we don't like him because he still loses a fish or two every year and we are getting tired of it! mad" wink

By the way, my mind isn't made up. I was just looking for someone with experience with that particulat broadhead because a local archer said he had good luck with it but I thought I would ask for a few more testimonials. I sort of thought that is what this website was all about.

In short, if you wanted to increase your post count, you could have just easily posted the word... NO!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (1badf350, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,504
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.