Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by pondjumpr
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by pondjumpr
Ok, looks like the parade has been rained out.

Note to self, no one here has used a Swacker (Schwacker) broadhead and most people here say all mechanicals are POS even though I am guessing many have never used them.

I, too, have shot NAP Thunderheads for many years. I started with the 125g, then switched to 85g, trying to get more speed. I later went to 100g and have gone back to 125g. I have killed several deer with mechanicals so I didn't mean to get into the fixed vs. mechanical debate. (I am fairly certain that I asked for that type of input) I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the Schwacker as the local bowshop said he had great results with fast bows and no premature opening with them.
I am going to have to go back and tell him he is an idiot and the deer that he has killed with them muct have actually drowned in the creek as the mechanical could not have killed them. especially a Rage!
And before you get antsied up about me using mechanicals...I have used them in the past and have had 1 I repeat 1 failure and it was on a giant 130+ inch Coues deer in AZ. the broadhead was a Puckets Bloodtrailer (about 12 yrs ago) I too was sold on the "mechanical will fly true like a fieldpoint" gimmik.

That was sort of my point. I came on this site to ask if anyone had any experience with Schwacker broadheads. You, and a few others, decided to take it to a "all mechanicals suck" debate. Funny thing is, you had one failure (you didn't mention what the failure was... ie: bad shot placement, hit bone, missed deer, openned too early, etc.) and it was "about" 12 years ago. Then yuo proceed to say that all mechanical broadheads are junk and unreliable based on your vast contolled experiment of one thin "aluminum" that most people have never used or even heard of.
OK numbnuts.....I guess you missed this part.

I hunt with about 10 other guys on occasion and we share many many results so I do infact have a bunch of mechanical experience.....wanna know something? in our group the mechanical vs fixed blade is a common talked about subject and in our case most of our lost/unrecovered deer have been shot with mechanicals and very few with fixed blades.

I'm talking 15 years of 10 or more guys results every year is compared and we ALL but one have gone back to fixed blades....and the guy who hasnt usually loses 2-3 deer a year...and the rest of us guys are getting sick of it! mad
That last sentence.......it wasnt just 1 mechanical we all tested....it was just about EVERY one ever come up with.

So YES...I have been there and have done that!!!
Unlike others I base my thoughts/choices on actual experience....BUT like I said "do whatever floats your boat!"

If you would quit reading and start doing maybe YOU too will be able to come up with YOUR OWN conclusions....not noone elses.

Then again....maybe not. crazy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kid, if you looking for sympathy you're in the wrong place. Round here, we live off of real world results. Not something put together in a studio or on a computer with some fancy graphics program. There are those of us that have been around the block a time or two and have made some mistakes and have learned from them. Our goal is to keep others from making those same mistakes. We dont pull punches and we aint pollitically correct. So if you got your pantys in a wad cause what you were told wasnt what you wanted to hear, I feel for ya. But go ahead and do your own thing. And when that cracker or swacker or whatever its called fails, do come back and tell us about it. We'll be waitin for ya grin

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am having problems with my slick tricks...........they only cut a hole the size of a shotgun slug, 1 1/8 inch to be exact.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
*Grin*

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Muzzy's for me. Lots of deer and rodents, 5 turkeys and 2 elk....no problems so far. 20 yrs ??? Had one deer get away, but it wasn't a broadhead problem frown . I'd prolly squirrel hunt with mechanicals, maybe do some kitty management around the house blush

If I want to get some venison, damn sure won't be with a mech tip.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Shiloh Ranch in Oklahoma, a hog hunting spot that I frequent, prohibits mechanicals, with the exception of that NAP head that just spreads out the blades on contact. One fellow recently said he had one that would blow clean through a hog. Well, they had a good boar on the rack, so he tried....2" of penetration or so. The 3 blade fixed head flew through and disappeared.

You owe it to the animal to use a good, sharp fixed head broadhead for a quick kill, and not to follow the advertising hype on the TV shows.

I fell into the "mechanical hype"...fly like a field tip BS and had to trail a deer that was hit Perfectly, just behind the shoulder..quartering away...I've seen deer drop within 15 to 20 yrds. from the same shot with my fixed blades. What I found when I finally retrieved this animal was that on entry one of the blades had busted off and the the other was bent. This was the 1st and last animal I ever shot with a Mech Broadhead!!! I shoot the "G2 Montec 100g", resharpen them every year...deadly!
Mechanicals are for people who dont take the time to "tune" their Bow's to shoot a Fixed blade....my Montec's shoot like field points, the Key?...Practice, Practice Practice...then go into the woods!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All good and valid points. All I was saying earlier is that I asked about one specific broadhead and asked if anyone had any experience with it. I never said I didn't have any experience with any mechanical or fixed. Quite the contrary. I have experience with both. I just have limited experience with mechanicals and none with the schwacker machanical. That is the question I asked.
Tom calls me numbnuts because I pointed out that he hijacked this thread and he should have never replied. I asked for specific experience with one brand of broadhead. If soemone can find where I asked it mechanicals were a good choice, I will say I am wrong.
I am 99% certain that I am going to use the 125g Thunderheads anyways. Again, I was just asking about one specific broadhead because I know the issues with mechanicals. Some of you guys are just goobers!

By the way, if anyone is actually using a schwacker broadhead, besides Hank Parker, and would like to give me some feedback on it, feel free to do so. Otherwise, this thread can slowly go away.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I called you numbnuts because you assumed I have only have used/experience with 1 mechanical broadhead.

Thats all.

Now if your going to use the Thunderheads, those are a decent broadhead.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, at least I have chosen a "decent" broadhead in the past. I must have been able to feel my nads back when I bought them.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (300_savage, 7887mm08, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,490
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.