Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just got the latest incarnation of my favorite ballistics software.

Couldn't get to the SHOT Show this year (and never will again), so I wasn't able to chew the rag with ol' pards Ed and Hartmut at the NECO exhibit, where I've usually up-dated my QuickLOAD, QuickTARGET, and QuickDESIGN.

No sweat, no fret � I was happy with what I had.

But now I've up-dated 'em anyway, and the love affair is blossoming all over again, as if it were brand-new.

Seemed to take a summer vacation to install the new QuickLOAD. As far as I can tell, the basic QuickLOAD engine is the same as before, now with gobs more bullets, powders, and cartridge drawings.

And more than ever, two groups of handloaders puzzle me no end �
� those who'd benefit immensely from it but turn-up their noses at it
� those who buy it and then don't bother to learn how to use it (It's not, after all, simply the ballistics-software parallel to the magic mirror in Snow White � "QL, QL, on the 'puter, what's the best load for my shooter?")

The new QuickDESIGN didn't take as long to install (Thanks, Helmut!), and I haven't yet figgered-out what's new about it. I've been too absorbed in (a) revisiting my .224 Howell and (b) playing with necking larger cartridges down to 0.224, in search of the largest that can be so necked without exceeding the bore capacity with Hodgdon 50BMG. Last experiment was the .300 Winchester Magnum necked to .22. Haven't decided what to try next.

Did find that there's probably not enough more oomph with the .22-.300 to make it worth the expense, time, and trouble. The .224 Howell (.22-06 Howell) seems to be about as far as anyone wants to go. Over 3,300 ft/sec with the 75-grain A-Max ain't shabby � and doesn't need much "improving."

Beats playing with a top, a yo-yo, 'n' such!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What the latest version called (#) and is it available from their web site?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 3.5 and the update to 3.6 is 14.95 plus 5.00 priority mail shipping. I will be updating my version soon.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
My update is on the way. Thanks for the heads up!

Gary

Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just received my copy, v3.6, and the first thing I learned was to add 7% to the case capacity of large, straight-walled cases to get a closer representation. As per:

"In certain small-caliber cartridges, those types with relatively small combustion chambers and in some big-bore cartridges, those types with almost cylindrical cases (which often require the same types of propellant), QuickLOAD often significantly deviates from suggested published reloading data. ... (Candidate cartridges include the following and similar chamberings: 45-70 Government, .458 Win Mag, .22 Hornet, .30 Carbine, .416 Rem Mag, and all the old Nitro Express cartridges.) ... To correct predictions is possible to enter a somewhat bigger cartridge case volume, compared to what actually exists. This causes a corrective effect. For example, in the .416 Rem Mag, misrepresenting case capacity about +7% often results in good correspondence with published loading data."

Now, Dr. Howell, do I adjust case capacity to better represent the potential velocities I may get in experimenting with my .44 magnum? I have a load that I have chronographed, but QL predicts a slightly higher velocity than what I am actually getting, so to model some potential loads, should I adjust case capacity until velocity matches my emperical data and then work from there? Or, do you have a better recommendation?

If you like answering questions, I certainly have them, sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And to add, your original post is what finally convinced me to buy the software, and the little bit of playing I have done with it has led me to believe I will be playing "what if" for some time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm just a drastically over-educated yokel, still learning, still making 'way too many mistakes, CERTAINLY not a know-it-all on any subject, least of all on QuickLOAD.

I suspect that you already know more about QuickLOAD than I do.

Please don't mistake my enthusiasm for QuickLOAD for mastery of it. My ignorance of its minuti� far exceeds my knowledge of it. It's a thrill for me because I dote on learning more than knowing.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ahhh, but your experience exceeds mine.

I seriously doubt I know more than you about QL. But, I can certainly see it's usefulness. I just need to learn more about the quirks.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have next to no experience with modifying, adjusting, or manipulating QuickLOAD.

Also next to no experience with the cartridges listed in your quote. I've been studying necked cartridges almost exclusively, and I'm far more interested in the theories of interior ballistics than in specific loads for specific cartridges.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does the 3.6 Update include any of the New powders like LeveRevolution, Superformance and a couple older powders not in 3.5 like WST and Longshot?

Thanks
Steve

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to look.

Later.

Tried to C&P the list for you.

Couldn't.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
steve4102,

It may depend on your "version" of 3.6. I purchased my copy a little less than a year ago and it didn't come with Trail Boss. A month or two later, someone mentioned they had just purchased version 3.6 and it did have Trail Boss. New powders get added as they are done, so a copy of 3.6 purchased today will have more powders than a copy of 3.6 purchased a year ago. It would be best to contact neconos and ask them about the powders you are interested in.

It's the one thing about QuickLOAD that I don't like. You can have two identical versions with one being more up-to-date than the other.

That being said, Hartmut was generous enough to post the Trail Boss data for me to import into my copy.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My copy has Longshot and Trailboss, but no Leverevolution, Superperformance, or WST.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks guys.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am intrigued with Quickload. Bought it and have played with it. However, while I am able to fiddle with variables and duplicate a known load, I have very little confidence in predicting pressure or velocities once I make changes. Seems like if I change powder, OAL or whatever, I end up with numbers significantly off published load data (even factoring in different barrel lengths). Really like it, just haven't been smart enough to figure out to make it useful.

Edit: I would also like to have data for Leverrevolution and 2000MR.

Last edited by prm; 04/21/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What I gather, and will try to verify as soon as I am able to get away from work and go do some shooting, is that once you get all your parameters set, such as case capacity, seating depth, and probably the biggest variable, burning rate, you will be able to predict to a great degree just what velocity and pressure you will be dealing with.

The things I have learned in the short time I've dealt with it are that:

The case capacities I have measured have never exactly matched what the default parameter for the cartridge selected is. It always seems to be a little more. Generous chambers, I guess.

Seating depth is very critical. I didn't realize that it played such a part. The better your bullet is measured, and seating depth entered, the better.

Burn rate can vary quite a bit from lot to lot.

You may have to fiddle with bullet weight a little if you change lots, slight difference in friction, I suspect, may cause this.

I guess what it all boils down to is the old Handloader's practice of trying to keep components as uniform as possible, and re-work once a component is changed, even if just a different lot. The better the information you feed it, the better the results will be.

Edited to add: And there is no provision to predict any influence primers may have.

Last edited by Vic_in_Va; 04/21/11. Reason: add comment on primers
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I did notice that my measurement of bullet length is slightly different than what the default for a particular lists. Correcting it helps.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
QuickLOAD's estimates presume the mildest primers.

QuickLOAD's default powder temperature may not be right for your shooting situation.

The quicknesses and relative densities of some powders vary more, lot-to-lot, than those of other powders. This was especially true a few years ago, when a certain powder company imported different lots of its "same" powders from different suppliers.

I haven't tried any of those powders since that company was acquired by another, but I suspect that their quicknesses, relative densities, etc, are now much more consistent from lot to lot than they used to be.

All the data that QuickLOAD crunches MUST be right on for your load, else the program can not accurately predict the performance characteristics of your load. GIGO, remember?

You can't substitute a cucumber, sour cream, or shaving lather and expect the result to taste like a banana split.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

All the data that QuickLOAD crunches MUST be right on for your load, else the program can not accurately predict the performance characteristics of your load. GIGO, remember?

Absolutely. And when you get all the parameters set right, it is a very useful tool. It can do a wonderful job of telling you what is happening, and what will happen if you change, say, seating depth or vary the charge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,280
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.