-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crosshair-- what do you carry at work? Whatever it is, you might look for the most concealable version of that pistol available.

Otherwise, I'd go with the smallest .45 you can find.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds like you need to move, or just bend over and grab your ankles.

As for a 9mm not being a manstopper, I know two men who, before I knew them, got shot with AK's. One a through and through wound of the neck, the other through the face and side of the skull. They are still around. I've also seen what Winchester Ranger 9mm will do to flesh, I'll stick with a 9mm Glock.

A lot of the early Cooper trained instructors from Gunsite, trust their lives to a Glock. Larry Vickers, probably the best living 1911 pistolsmith, reccomends a 9mm Glock, with proper ammo.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Scott F,
I fully understand what you are saying and I agree with you. But the laws of physics are in play here. To have a smaller pistol, i.e. one that is easy to carry and conceal, as a practical matter it is necessary to have a smaller cartridge.

Having an easily concealable Kahr that will hold 8 rounds of what amounts to .38 special +p ammo is not a bad thing. A 45acp in the same package would be better and a 500S&W even better, but...

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the CW40 and the wife has a CW9. They both have been 100% reliable and very accurate through several hundred rounds each. The recoil is a little more stout in the .40 but still very manageable. They are pretty tough to beat, IMHO. You would not be disappointed with either.

Chuck

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I've told this story before, but feel it is worth repeating.

Several years ago, I was headed to the hunting camp, truck loaded down with rifles, shotguns and, of course, at least two pistols, including my Glock 23 duty pistol. I fiddled around in the bed of the truck a few minutes, preparing to buy ice and gas, then went in the store. When I went in the store, the regular clerk said "Did you see the two guys who just left?". I told her "No". She then stated, "They were trying to rob me, but I told them you were a cop and they left.". I was unarmed when I went in the store.

Take what you want from my experience, but even after 28 years of law enforcement, much of it undercover, it changed me.

Talk about a close call!!! crazy

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carry whatever you can hit with and are willing to carry all the time. I still like a 3� SP101 .357 with Buffalo Bore +P .38s and 4 Speed Strips carrying different types of ammo. It just works for me. I don�t know exactly what a P63 is, but, if that is what I had to deal with, I would learn to deal with it and go from there.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Carry whatever you can hit with and are willing to carry all the time.

My sentiments exactly. We all have our favorites but build, climate, etc. will determine what you are willing to dedicate yourself to.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A G23 and a spare mag should get you out of any trouble your dumb azz allowed you to get into in the first place.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by NH K9
Carry whatever you can hit with and are willing to carry all the time.

My sentiments exactly. We all have our favorites but build, climate, etc. will determine what you are willing to dedicate yourself to.

George

Isn't that the second rule of a gunfight, to have a gun? (The first is to avoid a gunfight if at all possible.) The easier it is to carry, and the more you make it a habit to carry, the more likely you will be to have it when you need it.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you don't like carrying hot I would look no farther than a SIG yes a few dollars more but ask yourself one question is your life worth it. If it isn't don't even bother carrying.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 03/27/11.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I may get flamed for this, but I've been toting a kel-Tec P11 for about a dozen years or more now. Once I ran 250 FMJ rounds through it, it has never malfunctioned once. I hand load the excellent Hornady XTP 124 gr projectiles for it, and they feed and function quite well. If I want to go to ankle carry, I use the original Meg Gar 10 round mags. 11 rounds with a couple of 15 round S&W 59 series mags for back-up gives me a certain comfort level. If I carry on my hip, I have three 15 round mags with me. I don't even notice it's there, and I carry it ALWAYS. I carry in the house, yard, even leave it on the toilet when I'm in the shower. I have many other choices, but have always come back to the arm that affords me enough firepower with all-day comfort. If it's not a problem to carry all day, I'll carry it all day. The long, heavy DOA trigger has improved my shooting on every other platform that I enjoy shooting, and my P11 flat out shoots where I point it. I only need see the front sight, and it's hit if within a reasonable range for this type gun. I live in a fairly good neighborhood, but we have seen an influx of undocumented folks in recent years, and I'm not taking any chances with my family's safety. Though the new folks don't realize it, I understand their language fluently, and I don't care for some of what I hear. They don't need to know that I know what is being said. I figure that's an edge that I may need one day. I hope not, but we'll see. I'm a retired investigator and I know what kind of nut jobs are walking around out there. I have also had my life threatened many times due to the nature of my work. My motto is; Forewarned is forearmed. If they bring it, they had better be good, because I am.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the P11. It is a great value and shoots well. I didn't like the fact that it doesn't have hammer block safety, which is a potential drop problem. My other issue is the fact that I carried it at times in an ankle holster, and the barrel would rust out every week when exposed to wet conditions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyoelk
A G23 and a spare mag should get you out of any trouble your dumb azz allowed you to get into in the first place.

That should get you from one end of Laramie to the other in the middle of a melt down with no sweat. wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Writer
Crosshair-- what do you carry at work? Whatever it is, you might look for the most concealable version of that pistol available.

Otherwise, I'd go with the smallest .45 you can find.

We carry 30+ year old S+W 64's. I do not care for a revolver in a CCW carry. It simply is too fat and uncomfortable. That and I don't want to have to pocket a speed loader when a simple flat extra mag is easy to conceal.

Our departments training is nothing to base anything on. Squat and shoot in a pooping position. One day a year, most of that spent grilling and playing corn hole. %0 rounds a year, that's it.

My personal training is a different matter. All auto and lots of BUG stages. I use ether the P63 or the CZ82 for those. Unfortunately all I have is steel cased FMJ for those. I tried some silver bear HP, and saw zero expansion. Hornady won't feed in the CZ 82.

The two loads that make me consider the 9mm are the CCI short barrel 9mm, and the Remington Saber 9mm. I fired both, and others into our clubs clean clay bank while it was soaked and recovered them. Most impressive. I have no question that either one would change a gang bangers mind in short order.

In a gang attack it is usually the lower guy that is trying for stature that begins the attack. Shoot him. Whoever everyone looks to at that point, if they do, is the leader, kill him if he is attacking, even if he's not the most agressive. 18 years as a C/O, you learn group dynamics.

Then again, contrary to how the instructor teaches at our club, I shoot to cover. I want some obstacle between me and them. I want to give them a chance to break off the attack. I also want to present a tactically sound scenario to the cops. " I sought cover and they pursued me into it."

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by wyoelk

That should get you from one end of Laramie to the other in the middle of a melt down with no sweat. wink

He might get accosted by a college babe.... wink

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
i carry a full sized 1911 all the time. it works for me, but i am a big dude. its not that hard for me to conceal it, and the weight doesnt bother me. no doubt in the .45 ACP to kill what i shoot either.

living in the same town as Marty....

I DON'T carry a weapon with me...I do it for my OWN Safety..

My problem is, with the level of scum running around on the streets of our nation where ever you go, I'm sorry but I would be too tempted to use it....

and in Oregon here, criminals have more civic rights to than a law abiding citizen have...

if someone broke into my home and had my wife with a knife to her throat, if I shot and killed him... under STUPID Oregon laws, I would be guilty of murder at most, or manslaughter at a minimum.

It is illegal to kill someone in your home in Oregon, regardless of what they are attempting to do to your family involving bodily harm.

and I have to admit.. If I had to pull a firearm and use it against some low life, I wouldn't quit shooting until the magazine was empty. They'd have a hole in their head, their throat, their genitals and a few choice spots in between.

That is what the liberal left has turned this country into.
Criminals have more civil rights than they ever extend to their victims, or the state laws extend to the victims..

and all to often, the Courts are on the catch and release program for these criminals..

Gawd, you're an idiot!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bea175
Kahr P9 is hard to beat, my favorite conceal carry weapon
GMTA. grin

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Custom 1911 in a blade tech IWB holster - Glock 17, Blade Tech IWB holster, Taurus Milennium IWB holster, S&W 422 with Crimson trace grips, IWB holster when I go to the opera or theater.

I do recommend a cocked and locked pistol carry or revlover to less experienced folks. Too many AD with Glocks. The Taurus Milennium has a thumb safety, fires double action and allows for a misfire to be struck again with the firing pin if needed. Perhaps a minor attribute but one that has saved lives.

Terry

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Kel-Tec P11 has second strike capability too, and you never can tell when it might be faster than tap, rack, bang maneuvers. The old P11 is an inch thick, and the newer KT 9 is a bit slimmer, but the capacity is not as high.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/Sharps110/Shooting/Luke2236.jpg

I kinda like this one! Been shootin one of these since I was 10 years old! Load with 40 grs. BP and it moves a 255 gr SKWC along quite well! Sights are right on!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 270cowboy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 1,685 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,127
Posts18,523,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.