Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Where does one find a parcel of land on the sale black 50 yards wide by 800 yards long anyways?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Boy Oh Boy!! Our schools ain't doin very well!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd hate to have to watch you guys try to figure out miles per gallon!

grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I cant believe the number of responses....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How many grapes does it take to make a grapefruit?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Southern Idaho is laid out the same way in the populated areas. There are corrections every so many townships to allow for earth curvature, of course.

Yep. It's most everywhere. Everywhere the lay of the land allows it, anyway.
It's evident in cities this mile by mile plan has been in place for a very long time. The major streets are at mile increments, 12 city blocks to a mile. It's the same as the number of inches in a foot. How many cities have you seen laid out this way? 12th street, 24th, 36th, 48th, 60th, etc. It gets altered every time there' a correction line of course, but other than that.... These were once the only roads in the area, just like out in the country. Now they're where the major intersections are, and the stop lights that you wait the longest at...

This is the way it's been for a long time and there's no turning back now...

I'm sure, in a sense, Heavywalker is right about the absolute perfection of it all. Those durned surveyors were off a few feet here and there, running around driving all their little stakes and sticking their pretty pink flags in the ground. But all in all they done pretty good considering what they had to work with when they first started. They've been at it, what, a couple hundred years, nearing 250?
It is what it is.
And it's pretty darn close. Surprisingly so if you stop and think about it.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
Originally Posted by ajb05854
In normal sized land parcels, you could fit it on an 80. If you had a normal quarter section, it wouldn't be long enough, even if you went corner to corner.

If you want bare minimum of land, a strip 10 feet wide and exactly 800 yards long would be .55 acres of land if my math is right.

Now I see what you meant. Yeah, 12 acres like was said before.

That don't add up.
If it'll fit on an 80 it'll fit on a quarter section.
A quarter is two 80's side by side (160ac).

A quarter section is 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile. 4 of them = a full section of land.
An 80 is half that, 1/4 mile by 1/2 mile or 440 yards by 880 yards.

And don't forget the road running past it. A mile section of land is minus whatever acreage gets eaten up by the road and ditch. You pay taxes to the center of the road.

With half a section of land you could safely build a 1000 yard range so long as there is a hill or something for backstop. 1760 yards by 880.

ETA.
Or on two 80's end to end. 1760 yards by 440.

That works on my 160 acres. But I'm only setup for 600 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. It's most everywhere. Everywhere the lay of the land allows it, anyway.
It's evident in cities this mile by mile plan has been in place for a very long time. The major streets are at mile increments, 12 city blocks to a mile. It's the same as the number of inches in a foot. How many cities have you seen laid out this way? 12th street, 24th, 36th, 48th, 60th, etc. It gets altered every time there' a correction line of course, but other than that.... These were once the only roads in the area, just like out in the country. Now they're where the major intersections are, and the stop lights that you wait the longest at...

This is the way it's been for a long time and there's no turning back now...

The town of Twin Falls, ID follows suit, except....inside the central section of town is the old part of the city. Back when it was platted, the IDIOT who laid it out came up with this 'ingenious' idea of giving every house more sunlight by turning all the streets 45 degrees from north-south. So, every street comes into the bordering section line streets at a 45 degree angle. Navigating in this town is a nightmare. If the designer was still alive, he'd be lynched daily.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
One ONE acre you could have a range over 14,500 yards long ....if it was one inch wide.

Perfect!!! Oh yeah!
Might run into issues on days with a cross wind though. wink

Plus......your target and target stand would be 1"wide and 25-30 feet tall.
If flat country.......visualize the berm........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure, in a sense, Heavywalker is right about the absolute perfection of it all. Those durned surveyors were off a few feet here and there, running around driving all their little stakes and sticking their pretty pink flags in the ground.

I expect back in the early days those pretty pink flags were not to common. grin I do agree that the general idea was to have townships six miles square with thirty-six perfect sections but did you ever try to put something like that on the ground. I think if you actually measure those square mile sections that are talked about you will find them lacking a little here and there. I do think that with what they had to work with and the conditions that went along with it, they did a pretty good job, but not anywhere near perfect. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure you're right, Miles.
Close enough smile

Rock Chuck. I've seen towns and cities with that diagonal mess built in. 5 and 6 (and more) way intersections. Ornery pranksters! lol

Then there's places like Sioux City IA? Sheesh, what a nightmare.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Topography is a big factor, for instance I have 200 acres but because of the lay of the land the longest I can get is just under 500 yards. No neighbors, roads, or fire fans to worry about.

Question on the lead thing; If I sell the property "as is" and carry the loan with no bank involved would I have a problem?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Unless some gov inspector is going to be out there scratching around or you nor the buyer "alert the media" I'd say you're good to go, Spano.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Probably whoever buys it would want to keep all the ranges and you can be sure I'm going to try to fly under the radar on this.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are going to want a hill as a backstop so you won't have to worry about where the bullets end up.

[Linked Image from ]
H
H
I have drawn a quick sketch. If i done it correctly it will be attached as a jpeg. I hope this helps.

Attached Images
range.jpg (79.71 KB, 107 downloads)
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Boy Oh Boy!! Our schools ain't doin very well!!

The funniest answers,are from the guys that are always so quick to point out how smart they are.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hoytboy74
I have drawn a quick sketch. If i done it correctly it will be attached as a jpeg. I hope this helps.

Where are you going to find a parcel that fits your requirements?

www.paracay.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.