I may be taking on that 6.5x55 Steyr...Ack, decisions! crazy

HR IC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EricM
Originally Posted by Seafire
In today's world, I say get the rifle and action brand you want, the stock you want, and finally do the barrel you want thru a custom gunsmith.

If you have an action you already like, the barrel is a lot cheaper than a new rifle.

From ER Shaw to Pac Nor, to Douglas, they will all give you more than a field hunting rifle barrel at decent prices...

if you want benchrest accuracy, there are those out there also..

The 6.5 x 55 is just an inherently accurate cartridge..it is worth it getting the barrel length you want, the contour you desire... just the same as picking the scope you want...

Seafire,

I'd be all over that but I think going the custom route would really increase the price tag, no?

p.s. - I ran a build at ER Shaw and requested a quote. We'll see what they come back with.

p.p.s. - Was quoted $950 and 16 month turnaround time.

If I was doing one right now, I'd get an action and stock I wanted, contact ID&T gunsmithing in Ohio... they will install a barrel of your choice, usually with a 2 to 4 week turnaround for $200 or so for a Douglas barrel installed...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I cannot see building a 6.5 Swede, when they are so readily available.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I cannot see building a 6.5 Swede, when they are so readily available.

Well, I think I'd disagree with that statement... Back when I'd never owned one and wanted one, I'd buy the 1st one that I found (And I did...)

However, now that I've had a few of them, I'm more particular about the features of said rifle..

The Winny M-70's can be had, but they're not that common, OR available...

The CZ-550 is available, but heavy... (Down side for me...)

The Tikka, is available, (Tho' I've never seen one..) and light enough, but all the plastic parts is a turn-off for me...

Sako made a few AV's in 6.5x55, but I've ever seen only one, and I own it. smile

Same with Husqvarna's,... I've seen only one of those, And I owned that, as well...

Ruger made them in the Mk-II, but dropped them, so they are not available, but one might be able to find one... Tho' I never liked that hokey safety... smile

The best reason to build one that I know of, is then you can have EXACTLY what you desire, with NO compromises... That's reason enough in my book... Just my .02 Pesos worth...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have been down the custom rifle road a few times, and finally realized that unless it was an oddball chambering, it was a waste of money. I would get a Tikka, and never look back. Mine shoots as well as my customs...

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
FWIW, I talked to a nearby dealer of Tikka, and Beretta stopped importing the 6.5x55 a year ago. You can get one, but they're weeks out, and usually special-order from Tikka directly. Also expensive in this way.
The Steyr is good, but unique. Also about 7.7lbs, close to that of the CZ.
If you want a Lightweight gun with a "thinner" feel, go the Win M70, if you can find one. If you like a thicker-stock and slightly more "solid, refined" feel, go the Sako. But again, Sako is $$$, and any parts are going to be MUCH harder than the M70 to get.

Another to look into, see if its avail, is the Sako A7 in 6.5x55. It's a Sako barrel, Sako reciever and operation on an upgraded Tikka stock, with a Tikka/Sako bolt (3-lug of Sako, plunger-eject of Tikka). About $900 new, give or take.

Or, look into a .260 Rem for more choices. Most who have worked with it and the 6.5SE say it's pretty much the same round, both ballistically and in-practice. Though, still not identical.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I have been down the custom rifle road a few times, and finally realized that unless it was an oddball chambering, it was a waste of money. I would get a Tikka, and never look back. Mine shoots as well as my customs...

Dogcatcher, I don't think I'd buy a Tikka. As previously stated, I don't care for the plastic parts. I'll not dispute the accuracy of said rifle. From all reports it is phenominal. And I believe that.

But accuracy is NOT my only criteria in having a rifle... I don't care how accurate it is, If I don't like it, NOTHING is going to make me... smile And yes, I have owned one.... (albeit a .338 Federal...) I now have two other .338 Fed's... a Ruger #1 and a M-660 Remington...

If you like plastic and synthetic materials, and it doesn't bother you, well... then you have my blessing... But as for myself, Thanks, but I'll pass...

If I wanted yet another 6.5x55 (Which I don't...) , I'd buy a Ruger Mk-II and cabbage the barrel off from it and have it fitted to an older Tang Safety M-77. It would likely be a mite heavier than my preference, but I'll bet I'd like it better than most any other model available today... smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shadow9
If you want a Lightweight gun with a "thinner" feel, go the Win M70, if you can find one. If you like a thicker-stock and slightly more "solid, refined" feel, go the Sako. But again, Sako is $$$, and any parts are going to be MUCH harder than the M70 to get.

I'm debating between a Sako AV, M70 FWT Classic, and a Tikka T3.

I'm leaning towards the Sako or M70 (but would also like to get a Finnlight sometime in the future).

Here's the Sako: http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?gun_id=100166707

What do you think?

It looks very clean to me with nicely figured wood.

The M70 is pretty nice, too. Not as polished looking as the Sako but better wood than the M70 I posted earlier.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i vote Sako...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Dogcatcher, I don't think I'd buy a Tikka. As previously stated, I don't care for the plastic parts. I'll not dispute the accuracy of said rifle. From all reports it is phenominal. And I believe that.

Valid opinion. Personally, i won't buy another gun unless it is stainless/plastic! grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always said I would not buy synthetic/stainless. I neede to pick up a backup rifle for an off shoe hunt and all I could afford that was immediately available that fit well was a Tikka T3 blue/synthetic. It could not be supplied and the company(Wholesale Sports) substituted stainless at the same price. It has become my go to hunter. I still don't like the looks, but it carries well, comes to shoulder ligned up, anp plain shoots too good to not enjoy.

Although the plastic mags are expensive, they are tougher than you would believe. I drove over one with my truck front tire by accident(please don't ask) and there were no marks on it. The magazine was on the packed snow of an ice road. Close to 400 rounds shot in all weather conditions without malfunction or incident.

The Tikka would be my choice in a modern 6.5 Swede.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Shadow9
FWIW, I talked to a nearby dealer of Tikka, and Beretta stopped importing the 6.5x55 a year ago. You can get one, but they're weeks out, and usually special-order from Tikka directly.

I'd sell mine for the right price. grin Although that might be foolish, since it is the most accurate gun I own...

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought the Sako AV, 6.5x55 Swede for $1,150. wink

It's a Finnbear Hunter model, imported by Stoeger in the late 80's. 23" barrel and condition is near perfect.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If anyone following this thread is looking for a nice M-70 or Tikka T3 (synth) in 6.5x55, talk to soonerchessie.

The M-70 has nice wood:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...del_70_6_5x55_Beretta_BL_5_1#Post2856106

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have no use for a blued/wood rifle, but that looks like a nice gun.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I live in a dry semi-desert environment.

Blued/wood works for me.

I would still like to get a SS/Synthetic Finnlight sometime in the future.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good buy! that is a nice rifle!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by EricM
I bought the Sako AV, 6.5x55 Swede for $1,150. wink

It's a Finnbear Hunter model, imported by Stoeger in the late 80's. 23" barrel and condition is near perfect.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If anyone following this thread is looking for a nice M-70 or Tikka T3 (synth) in 6.5x55, talk to soonerchessie.

The M-70 has nice wood:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...5_1#Post2856106

Eric, great rifle/cartridge combo at a fair price. You won't regret it.

NRA Benefactor member
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Dr. Lou!

I just placed an order for a Leupold FX3 6x42 scope (LR reticle) with Leupold Sako ringmounts.

Should be slick!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want another Swede, I'll sell you my Ruger #1A. The price is $642,387 including shipping. wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do like Swedes... wink

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 204guy, 16 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,906
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.