Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5119986 04/05/11
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone shoot a Bisley?
Will a Bisley fit the same holster as a single action army or do they have to have a special Bisley made holster?
Had a oldtymer tell me the otherday that many cowpoke gunfighters prefered the bisley,the grip and especially the lower hammer..said the real rooster cogburn used one for years

Last edited by Kennesaw; 04/05/11.

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the Colt Bisley has the same frame and cylinder, just a different grip frame, trigger and hammer. It should fit a SAA holster, IMHO.

I assume you're talking Colt and not Ruger. Same for them, just got to get the right frame, old vs. new.

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks,I like those Ruger Bisley's!Who makes a good 45LC round?

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Kennesaw
Who makes a good 45LC round?

Me! Only the best...!

Seriously, I load my own on a Dillon 550B.

I never have bought that kinda ammo, so wouldn't know. If you're buying ammo, you need to reload...

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes i know,I gotta get some dies and brass but wanted to checkout the prices..if i can get 'em allready loaded for the price of componants i can get my brass stash built up that way and load my own for serious cowboy range & trail work..LOL..Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks,I like those Ruger Bisley's!Who makes a good 45LC round?

I do wink

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Three great pistol makers.

The only one of the three that I have is a Ruger Old Army conversion by Dave Clements. It's a 5 shot 50 cal. BP SS with Burl Rosewood grips. Is actually .477 caliber and shoots a 250 gr. bullet at around 1,100 fps. Check it out on Dave's site. Dave did the metal work, I fit and finished the grips, installed the Ruger medallion. An acetone bath took the black background from the medallions, making them better match the SS pistol. Very accurate with power not far behind a .44 Mag or a hot loaded .45 LC.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
SWWEEEETTT!! Thanks for shareing bigtime! I know your proud of that baby! How long is the turn around time on custom work?
Also where can i get a good set of real stag grips for a ruger Bisley?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Like all top end work, it takes a while. I would check with Dave on that. He's got a good web site covering his work, including the 50 cal. Old Army conversion. There's some good info on line to check, also, about this gun.

Stag is getting hard to find and expensive. Eagle Grips is one source and I think they'll custom fit to your frame, although Ruger frames are pretty consistent.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice pistola, especially the grips.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know much about Clements, but Bowen and Linebaugh customize Ruger Bisleys mainly for handgun hunting. They are made for heavy loads. They are expensive. If you're just wanting something for everyday use and aren't planning on hotrodding the loads in 45 Colt, a Ruger Bisley New Vaquero might be fine. Be advised that they should only be used with loads approximating the ones you'd use in a Colt SAA. A regular Ruger Bisley is a stout gun, just like the Blackhawk and also has adjustable sights. Going with an original Colt Bisley that's in pretty good shape will set you back muy dinero.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes i know,I gotta get some dies and brass but wanted to checkout the prices..if i can get 'em allready loaded for the price of componants i can get my brass stash built up that way and load my own for serious cowboy range & trail work..LOL..Thanks!

Best prices I've found for ammo is Gunbroker!

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Bisleys:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
hclark,Thanks for shareing!AWSOME SIX SHOOTERS!!!
check out this dreamgun builder link
http://www.gallagherfirearms.com/default.asp?page=1

How can i tell a old ruger bisley from a new ruger bisley?Any place to go to check serial numbers to date a gun?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
WOW! Nice. Those are the real deal.

I like that engraving. Did you find them like that, or commission the work? What calibers, etc.?

Thanks for sharing.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone shoot a Bisley?
Will a Bisley fit the same holster as a single action army or do they have to have a special Bisley made holster?
Had a oldtymer tell me the otherday that many cowpoke gunfighters prefered the bisley,the grip and especially the lower hammer..said the real rooster cogburn used one for years

I see in your subsequent posts that you're after Ruger versions of the Bisley, so I'll only address those. The Ruger Bisleys (adjustable sights) and (original) Vaquero Bisleys (fixed sights) are all built on the larger cylinder frame size, similar to the size of the Super Blackhawk. The shape of the grip frame doesn't matter, for holster sizes. They may or may not fit in Colt SAA (or clone) holsters. Colts and clones are usually a bit loose in hoslters sized specifically for the Vaquero.

The New Vaquero Bisley is built on a smaller cylinder frame, roughly the equivalent of Ruger's original .357 frame, same size as their "50th Anniversary Blackhawk." (I'm not aware of any currently made with adjustable sights, as with their original Bisleys.) Again, grip frame/shape doesn't matter for holsters. That cylinder frame is almost identical in size to the Colts/clones, and holsters are pretty much interchangeable.

-R44

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The original Bisley was made by Colt. Bisley and SAA differed in the frame, grip, hammer, trigger, and mainspring.
Ruger scored big when they released their Bisley, for many it is a great grip with heavy loads. The Ruger Bisley differs only in the way of grip frame. For a time, it was possible to buy Bisley frames and fit them to standard Blackhawks. Worked real well on the stainless models, because the carbon steel grip frames were all in the white.
The Ruger Bisley will fit in any holster cut for its parent gun-either the Blackhawk or the Vaquero. The Colt may or may not fit into the SAA holster-depending on how it is cut.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,489
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.