-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a huge stash of 30 cal 150 gr that I use for target shooting. But back before I started reading internet forums I killed a moose, blackbear, elk and deer with Corelokts because I didn't know they were so bad.

Last edited by 358Norma_fan; 04/07/11.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
GB1

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Never had a problem with Corelokts, myself, for any sized game up to moose. have no interest (well, not much) in tipping over a griz/brown, so I don't worry about it. Keep in mind the "plain-jane" bullets of today are likely considerably better than they were when Nosler first invented the Partition, or Barnes the X.

After I got the premium fever out of my blood, I've gone back to Corelokts, Hornadys, and Speer plain-janes. Nothing wrong with any of them. The Fusion looks promising, but I haven't used it yet. I'll still go to a premium maybe for a light-for-use caliber (like .260 for moose, tho that 140 gr Corelokt did fine on elk), or just because I want to.

Taken at @ 40 yards with hand-loaded 150 Gr Sierra plain-Janes (work identically to Corelokts as far as I can see) thru a 17" barreled '06 last fall. I prefer 165 or 180 grain bullets in this caliber, but I've got several hundred of these things from a 1976 purchase......... Gotta get rid of them before I die. smile

[Linked Image]

Bad picture, but you get the idea.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 04/07/11.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reload em, they work fine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another very good standard bullet is the Speer Hotcore. I've shot many elk with them in a 270 and 2 with a 300 WSM. They penetrate very well and hold together even after hitting heavy bone. I'm told they've dropped them, though, and replaced them with something called the Deep Curl. I hope it's as good. Their website says that to reload Deep Curls, you MUST use their data from their website. Apparently they're a little different.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've always like the factory loaded 220 GR CoreLokts.

Great bullet performance on larger game and they group very well out of my old Win M70 30-06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How can you not love them 220 Corelokts. It was the standard with all the old timers upstate NY when I grew up. Maybe they knew something. Nice group there, wow. Light recoil too for some reason with them if I remember correctly.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy

Great bullet performance on larger game and they group very well out of my old Win M70 30-06.

[Linked Image]

I think anything would group good out of that rifle grin.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
killed everything from coyotes on up to elk (one at 485 yds. that went nowhere) with 180 grain core-lokts in 30-06 and nothing walked away; they also shot extremely well out of my rifle....tried them in my 25-06 and they were crap both on game and accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love Core-Lokts.....they are very accurate in my rifles.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[bleep] Ole CL's......Probably only harvest 20-30% of ALL big game taken in North America EVERY year. whistle

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The two most miserable bullet performances I've seen have been with Core-loss, with the exception of a 200gr in the 35 Remington, I'll not use the [bleep] things.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best use for a Corelokt is to pull it, insert an eye screw in it and use it for a fishing sinker. grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
My CL failures involved my shot placement as a preteen.

These days, I have no problems with them when they're launched from my arsenal of wimpy non-magnums. I don't use them often, though, on account of Interlocks seem to shoot better out of most of my rifles.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dusty246
How can you not love them 220 Corelokts. It was the standard with all the old timers upstate NY when I grew up. Maybe they knew something. Nice group there, wow. Light recoil too for some reason with them if I remember correctly.

I took my last Moose with 220 Core-Lokts in my '06. I was much more pleased with the results than in my previous moose that I took with a 450 Marlin and 350 Hornady's.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I placed a 270 Gr RN Rem Corlokts out of my 375 H&H, on my buddies wounded small Br Bear, 2" behind the front of his nose.
At close range, bear got back up and a shoulder shot killed it.

We later found I hit a small alder and bullet broke up, found lots of pieces when caping skull. Was a interesting day.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by idahostalker
So i was thinking this morning about bullets and how big of a difference each bullet really has on game. Now dont get me wrong, I LOVE TTSX's, partitions, accubonds, etc.. and thats all i really ever use in my rifles, but do you think they are actually worth the extra $$$? We all know that a corelokt will kill any deer, elk, moose, you name it, out their. But even though they are cheaper, are they actually cheaper in their performance? I have only personally shot a couple deer with factory corlokts, and they all have gone down quickly, but i cant say that i could really have a good comparison with other higher priced bullets. So i guess the real question is, do you think you would be able to tell any difference at all when hunting with corlokts or the other higher priced bullets? What do you all think.

I think you're asking several questions.

Ultimately, yes, I can tell a difference and that difference improves my confidence, so the premium bullets are worth the cost to me. After spending an additional $15,000 to buy a 4 wheel drive truck instead of 2 wheel drive truck, thousands of dollars in camping gear, time off work, and so on, do you really think I care about less than $10 more to use bullets I believe in? If it was all about saving money, I wouldn't be eating $200+ a pound venison, I'd stay home and eat store beef. Could I get by with CoreLokt only? Probably, but that's all I'd be doing, getting by. "Getting by" is not why I'm out there.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a MοΏ½bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Earlier on, dad, brothers, and I killed a flock of deer with 7 Mags with the 150g core loct with 63.0g of IMR 4350 and a 9 1/2 primer...they just work.

We got bored, switched to the 160g Sierra BTSP with 60-61g of IMR 4350 with a 9 1/2, deer flopped just a tad better.

154g HOrnady flat base is a very accurate and though bullet for deer and elk....will shoot thorugh 3 feet of meat easy with 63.0g of IMR 4350 and a 9 1/2. Hard to believe, but the 154g Hornady will shoot a clean through both large boar's shoulders.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy

[Linked Image]

Jack O' Connor would have thought nothing of taking out a grizzly or an African lion with that round. Now we "need" premium bullets and magnum rifles to kill deer. The American marketing system indeed has some powerful mind melding mojo.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Do I think that there are better bullets out on the market? Yes I do. Do I think that they will make any significant difference after hitting the animal? No I don't. Do I think that there is a reason to use premium bullets? Yes if it is more accurate in your rifle and it makes you feel better. My various rifles have taken many deer with Cor-Lokt's and other cup and core bullets and they all worked very well. Even two bucks that I took with 100 grain Hornady Spire Points out of my 243 that hand grenaded inside the chest cavity killed like lightning. I can't see spending the money on premium bullets for deer but that's just me. Having said that, a trip of a lifetime for some exotic game in a faraway place would get a full looksee in the premium line. Why? Because I would want every advantage that I could get and years of being told how much better they are than standard cup and core bullets would find it's way in to my mind. I would not want to take a chance on second guessing myself.

Last edited by Sportdog; 04/08/11.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A couple of things about Cor-Loks. First, the pointed versions aren't the same bullet that Jack O'connor used so effectively on the grizzlies he shot. They don't have the hour glass shaped jackets anymore that locked their cores. But apparently the round nose versions still do. I've never seen the round nose versions for sale to handloaders.
Under unusual conditions, the premiums do make a difference. I've seen the little 95-100 gr. Nosler Partition break some very heavy bone and still punch a hole in the critter's lungs. Something the same Cor-Loks won't do.
Some premiums also do a much better job of staying on course and killing when they hit brush on the way to the animal. I understand the law enforcement community now uses the Federal Throphy Bonded ammo for some hostage situations. That's because when shot through angled window glass they stay right on course. Something the Sierra Match Kings don't do.
It's your call. I have a strong tendency to pick bullets that work at any angle, under any conditions that I'm liable to shoot. That will seldom include the more fragile designs. E

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (16gage, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,741
Posts18,495,082
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.