Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495
The worst of it is, that after the north won, they didn't immediately send all the ex slaves back to their home country.

Nope, left em here and they are part of the ruin of this country in modern times.

Damn right rost495.

As to the OP #2

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gmsemel
The South should have freed the slaves first then fired on Ft. Sumter.

If the South had freed the slaves there would have been no reason to fight a war. Just look at the struggle before the war. Each new state joining the union had to be either free or slave. Then it could not join until their was a second state of the operated persuasion to balance it. The country was balanced equally between free and slave states and that balance was overturned when Lincoln was elected president.

The South should have freed the slaves before the war and set up a system where the former slave could have worked to pay off the cost of their freedom. That would have prevented the terrible war and the destruction of the southern way of life. However, the southerners were too arrogant and short sighted to do that.

[Linked Image from ]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I know some of you haven't figured this out yet, but this was over a long time ago.....

and the NORTH won. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
As my granddad use to say, tongue in cheek.. If we would have known what the future was going to bring, we'd have picked our own da*^ cotton...

That is a wise man.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tzone
I know some of you haven't figured this out yet, but this was over a long time ago.....

and the NORTH won. laugh

buwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaaa

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron,

From your description of your family history I think you should read a book called the Frontiersman by Allan W. Eckert. It's all about the whites settling in the Ohio River area. A good portion deals with Daniel Boone and the town he started named Boonestown. If your kin was hanging around in that group there may be some mention of them. It's semi-fictional. the places, people, and events are true, but it was written as a novel so you can imagine they had to fill in some blanks.

Deal with it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by byc

and the NORTH won. laugh

buwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaaa

Actually, by checking the two posted links, I'm not sure my family was here before the war started. I couldn't find much on them. The furthest I can find back to is WWII where both of my Grandpa's were in it.

One in the Army, one Navy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Born and bred in SC, ancestors fought for SC first, South second, same for me!

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Allied or Axis??? grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Pete E

Allied or Axis??? grin

grin

Both for the good guys.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From eastern Kansas and my ancesters fought for the North. To hear the old-timers tell it, not because of federal loyalty but because they were so pee'd off at those Missouri bushwackers crossing over and making life miserable. I believe 2 served in the 5th Regiment Cavalry and my grandpa claimed they were part of the Redlegs from Josie Wales film fame. I get the feeling it wasn't about national politics, but rather considered a Kansas-Missouri war. And, yeah, the feelings still run deep today. Some home town residents refuse to this day to talk to anyone from Missouri. At least they stopped shooting them!

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
roger that

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I think a lot of our issues today are directly related to the federalists winning that war of northern agression.
+1

You've surely watched the movie Hombre, about your area of the country. I love that movie. In the book by Elmore Leonard, the main character uses a Spencer, not an 1873 Winchester, like Paul Newman uses in the movie. The movie is still excellent though. Just fyi.

Interesting family history.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did slave holders really help themselves to the slaves? If so there has to be thousands of half bro's and sisters out there. The physical hygene of the slaves had to be attrocious. It seems that would have been a smelly poke; but i suppose with enough humidity one might get used to it? Surely the slave owner cleaned up before he crawled in bed with his real wife?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Did slave holders really help themselves to the slaves? If so there has to be thousands of half bro's and sisters out there. The physical hygene of the slaves had to be attrocious. It seems that would have been a smelly poke; but i suppose with enough humidity one might get used to it? Surely the slave owner cleaned up before he crawled in bed with his real wife?

It happened some, though not as much as it's made out I imagine. It's the reason there aren't many really dark skinned blacks in the U.S. now, look at a black person from the U.S. and one native to Africa and you can immediately see the difference. I'd imagine that most who were dallied around with by the owner were the house servants, they mostly lived in the main house and would be educated and well mannered, their hygiene would likely have been as good as the owner and his family.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
they mostly lived in the main house and would be educated and well mannered,

The slave owners only bred slaves with good hygeine. Thats good to know, cause a gal working out in the hot sun for 16 hours..pheew.

But if the clean slaves were in the house, when would the MR have a chance at a poke? Maybe when Ma ran to wal-mart?

And when these house slaves had children, that looked like the slave owners own children, wouldn't everyone be a little weirded out?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

yeah, right!

and the NORTH won. laugh

won what?

We Scots ha' been fightin' against tyranny since 1180 when the first Scottish flag was born - do you recognize where the Confederate Stars & Bars came from? We're still agin' the same tyranny today, ya'll...

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TheBigJonson

do you recognize where the Confederate Stars & Bars came from?

I do...ya'll!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
they mostly lived in the main house and would be educated and well mannered,

The slave owners only bred slaves with good hygeine. Thats good to know, cause a gal working out in the hot sun for 16 hours..pheew.

But if the clean slaves were in the house, when would the MR have a chance at a poke? Maybe when Ma ran to wal-mart?

And when these house slaves had children, that looked like the slave owners own children, wouldn't everyone be a little weirded out?

Watch despte the claims of some I wasn't around in slavery times. grin However to give you at least a partial answer to your question; misegenation went on before, during and after. As to the kids sometimes the daddy would acknowledge his get and sometimes he wouldn't despite family resemblence. I personally knew several in both categories. If the daddy acknowledged them they would usually take his name and everything was cool. I have no knowledge of what kind of deal was worked out with the legit wife but of the ones I did know the wife never really said any thing. It was just like the mulatto kid wasn't there even if he was spit and image of his daddy.

Know it probably sounds wierd to you but that is just the way life was then.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 45 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,234
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.