-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't find my pictures, but I had a bitty closet filled with reloading crap and two presses.
The trick was that I framed from corner to corner across two cleats/rim joists, with straight, flat 2x6's for a top. The working edge was 45 degrees, corner to corner, which gives the longest edge for the space. That SOB was strong, strong, strong, no need for legs, meaning more room for shelves and other junkola.
I liked the corner idea so much that my new bench setup has the same inside 45 on a 90 setup.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good looking portable bench Steve.

Of course what else would you expect from a jeweler/gun writer? smile

NRA Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will try and dig up a link I had on sniper's hide for a bench made on the black and decker workmate. I modified IIRC to have a spacer under the bench with two boards under the spacer to apply leverage when you cinch up the workmate. It worked great in a pinch and you can take it to the range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/12/portable-bd-workmate-reloading-bench/

Sniper's hide had deleted or lost the thread from a few years back. This is what I found in a search. It is very similar to what I built. You can bolt it right to a workmate or do what I did and create a 3-4" spacer that runs across the bench that the workmate halves grip against and below that or screwed to the spacer is two supports that run opposite of the spacer towards the handles on the workmate. These supports are trimmed to just less than the max distance you can open the top boards on the workmate to.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
An old maple dresser with a 1.25" thick top makes a good compact loading bench and provides a lot of storage.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Interesting use of space - and neat too! I usually end up cluttering up every available square inch of space on my bench(es)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Google "reloading bench" pictures and you will be inundated with ideas.

After looking at lots of such pictures, it becomes apparent that many reloaders use the worktop of their benches for storage or to put it another way, many benches are messy in the extreme and covered in "junk"..

As shown in some of the pics in this thread, if you are willing to be organised and had adequate seperate storage (ie draws or shelves) you don't need a bench with a big worktop...

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I built a top out of a flush exterior solid core dunnage door, picked up cheap from a supplier. I skinned it with plywood, built a frame, added wheels. I can move it around the room however I want or as necessary.

I added power outlets at the ends to run lights etc and a cord to plug it in.

I work off one side to do reloading, the other to do cleaning etc. It has a vice mounted at one end and a shelf under where I store tools, supplies, and Dillon quick change setups. When not in use I can push it against the wall out of the way.

Similar in concept to one previously mentioned, it could be any size.

Works for me.

Last edited by AJD; 04/07/11.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I would start by claiming the middle half of the closet. Instantly gaining twice as much bench smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, check my set-up out. It works very well and since I've got the scale elevated like it should be it saves space for the trimmer and the press:

[Linked Image]
I'm still likin the wall art there BSA..good for YOU !

It's not that hard to get comfortable with a set-up like this.

My mec grabber for my shotshell reloading is set up in a small area too:
[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I can't find pictures, but once mounted press and powder measure to an old bar stool when things were a little tight. Worked well for the couple of years I needed that set up, although the by the end the bar stool was getting a little worn out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After Northern Dave's post I would have a hard time wasting a bar stool like that.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Furnace room, under the stairs. Other shelves off to the left. Only the press is bolted down.

[Linked Image]

I really like how you've utilized the (under side of) stairs for storage. Gives me some ideas. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,803
Posts18,496,365
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.