Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Va, I Turkey hunt in the big timber mostly, straight up and straight down kind of terrain, the ranges I kill Mr. Tom even with a rifle are usually no more than 60 yds or so, most have been killed within easy shotgun range, I just like to hunt with a rifle sometimes as I am truly a "Rifle Whore" at heart (not crazy about shotguns) I don't even use a shotgun to squirrel hunt the early season, I use a rimfire, I haven't hunted in the Spring with a rifle in several years and kinda miss it.................Hillbilly.

GB1

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hillbilly go with the hornet you will not be sorry. I have shot many turkeys with both the 22 mag and 22 hornet and I take the hornet hands down.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Va, I Turkey hunt in the big timber mostly, straight up and straight down kind of terrain, the ranges I kill Mr. Tom even with a rifle are usually no more than 60 yds or so, most have been killed within easy shotgun range, I just like to hunt with a rifle sometimes as I am truly a "Rifle Whore" at heart (not crazy about shotguns) I don't even use a shotgun to squirrel hunt the early season, I use a rimfire, I haven't hunted in the Spring with a rifle in several years and kinda miss it.................Hillbilly.

I know that feeling, very well.

The Hornet is your huckleberry.

One of those Marlin 1894s that they did a few years back in .218 Bee or .25-20 would EASILY fill the bill as well.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I gotta feeling I'm in the midst of many "Rifle Whores" like me on this site, we have to congregate in places like this cause nobody else really understands our sickness crazy..................Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
You just now catching onto that?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I know a guy that swears by shooting them with the 22lr facing away between the wings(upper back/lung area), so either of the two you mentioned should do just fine.

I prefer the shotgun myself, but can't say I wouldn't try it if legal. I have a very accurate 22WMR that does a dandy job on wild hogs, so I can't imagine it not working on a tom at less than 50. It would be an insteresting challenge.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
You just now catching onto that?
Yep, just now catchin onto it, I'm a little slow.....Grin..............Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I know a guy that swears by shooting them with the 22lr facing away between the wings(upper back/lung area), so either of the two you mentioned should do just fine.

I prefer the shotgun myself, but can't say I wouldn't try it if legal. I have a very accurate 22WMR that does a dandy job on wild hogs, so I can't imagine it not working on a tom at less than 50. It would be an interesting challenge.
You are right Reloader, it is an interesting challenge, instead of blasting away at a gobblers head/neck area when he gets within range of your shotgun, you have to wait for that precise shot and sometimes that ain't easy, especially if the first time you see the turkey is when he pops his head up 25 yds away, in the terrain I hunt this often happens and is a tough situation if your hunting with a rifle. I have had many more Toms get away in these close quarter encounters when I was rifle hunting than I ever had when carrying a shotgun, if a Turkey pokes his head up at 25 yds and I'm shotgun hunting 99% of the time he's going to turkey heaven where he can get his 15 virgin hens and live with Allah.................Hillbilly

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yep.

Had a similar argument with a pard.

He said I was "unsporting" to snipe gobblers with a .22 centerfire; he was "doing it right" with a shotgun.

I asked him how wide his pattern was at 25 yards and at 40 yards. The answer was about 18" at 25 yards and about 30" at 40 yards.

I asked him how wide my bullet was at 25 yards and at 40 yards....

He got quiet. Fast...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I gotta feeling I'm in the midst of many "Rifle Whores" like me on this site, we have to congregate in places like this cause nobody else really understands or sickness crazy..................Hillbilly.

I was thinking that today at work. I was actually wondering how many people are like us in each town??? crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have many friends that "like" rifles/guns, but I know of only one guy that is close to being as big a gun whore as I am, and between us I am probably the sickest, I think not many gun owners percentage wise are like us...................Hillbilly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 28 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.