Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have never tried either of these calibers on turkeys but I know a guy who has killed a truck of gobblers with his old bolt action Savage 22 Mag, I am thinking of a little turkey rifle and would like to get the better of these two calibers, I don't know if the 17 HMR has enough azz for gobblers, I know it's a flat shooting laser but does it carry enough energy with it's tiny bullet for Turkeys?..............Thanks Hillbilly.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
VA.

Check the energy numbers.

At 100 yards, the energy any 17HMR load is within about 20 ft lbs of any 22 mag load.

Plus, the 17s are usually so accurate that bullet placement is easier.

And shooting Turkeys properly with a rifle is ALL about shot placement, no matter what rifle you are using.

I prefer to take their heads off.

Last edited by jim62; 04/10/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I also agree with the shot placement Jim, it is critical, I will look at the numbers at 50yds as this will be more the ranges I will be shooting Thomas Turkey...........Hillbilly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
.17 hmr as they are ACCURATE.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've got one of the most accurate little 22 mag's I've seen and wouldn't be affraid of using it on gobblers. With that being said, you will have an easier time finding a load that shoots in a 17 hmr because it is more streamlined and every rifle I've seen from savage, marlin, ruger and cz will shoot lights out with the easy to find stuff from hornady. My old chuckster will shoot 3/8" groups at 50 yds easily, but I went through about 6 different loads trying to find the one that shoots that good. Finally settled on the remington 33 gr. accu-tip in mine (22 mag). Turkey arn't that hard to kill and I wouldn't be affraid of using a 17 on one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
VaHB...

.22Magnum.

The .17MHR lacks the azz.

More than a few have tried the .17 in recent years. I don't know a single one that hasn't gone back to the .22Magnum, or better yet, up to a .22 centerfire (the Hornet, Bee, and Fireball are just about perfect).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This might turn into one of those nightmarish threads about 17 hmr vs 22 wmr again. Hold up you guys while I go get my popcorn laugh. Is it too early to start drinking beer??? Popcorn and beer and oh yeah my nomex underwear blush

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I favor the 22mag. It has performed superior in terminal ballistics at all ranges for me, mostly used on fat PA groundhogs and not using 30 gr bullets in the 22mag.

But, if you are going for head-shots I would favor the 17 due to the flatter trajectory and slightly better average accuracy. This may actually be a good application for the 30gr 22mag loads that shoot flat and penetrate nothing though.

I favor the 22mag for body shots with 33gr loads and heavier.

My Marlin 22mag shoots some loads as accurate as my Dads CZ 17.

The difference between these two is minimal. The 17 shoots a little flatter and is slightly more accurate on average. The 22mag has better terminal ballistics for larger varmints. If you compare equally: light loads to light loads, heavy loads to heavy loads they perform very similar. The 22mag cannot quite match the trajectory of the 17gr 17 loads; and the 17 cannot quite match the a$$ of the 40gr and 50gr 22mag loads.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Start with coffee, have a glass or so of whiskey on the rocks, and then bust out the beer and combos, doritos, popcorn, etc...

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This might turn into one of those nightmarish threads about 17 hmr vs 22 wmr again. Hold up you guys while I go get my popcorn laugh. Is it too early to start drinking beer??? Popcorn and beer and oh yeah my nomex underwear blush

Considering I know where he hunts, and that rifles are legal here... as well as more than a few folks who hunt turkeys with rifles exclusively, it's a safe bet as to experience trumping guesses.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WPAH
Start with coffee, have a glass or so of whiskey on the rocks, and then bust out the beer and combos, doritos, popcorn, etc...

Damn that sounds like the right way to do it grin. You left out the nomex underwear though. Maybe after all that I won't need them laugh. I'll be too screwed up to care.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I also agree with the shot placement Jim, it is critical, I will look at the numbers at 50yds as this will be more the ranges I will be shooting Thomas Turkey...........Hillbilly.

At any range inside 100 yards I would not use the plastic tipped slugs on bigger animals due to the erratic penetration.

Use either the 17g TNT or 20g Game point slugs.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Have seen and retrieved toms punched through the wing butts with a .22Mag at 150+.

Try that with a .17HMR. Actually, please don't.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have killed several Toms through the years with a .223 but found it a little much for turkey, I know much depends on the particular bullet that is being used but none the less I think I would like to do a little Gobbler chasing with a smaller cartridge, I think the .22 Hornet is close to ideal but as I can't find a rifle in that caliber that suits me I think I will choose a nice little bolt action .22 Mag of some sort, I do know a hunter or two that hunt Spring gobblers exclusively with a .22 Mag and they do rather well, I don't know anyone in my circle that has even tried a .17 HMR on a Tom, and reading the wise advice given to me here I will go with something that I know is tried and true.......Now which rifle? that is the question.........Lots of nice .22 mag's out there these days.................Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Load the .223 down to .221 Fireball, .22Hornet, or .22Mag levels. Flexibility is a wonderful thing.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I checked CZ's site out and found that they make the Mod 455 American in .22 Mag, I have owned a few 452's and found them to be pretty accurate, though not the best at spent cartridge ejection, but from what I have read here and on rimfirecentral I think I had some bad luck with My 542's as this problem doesn't seem to be the norm for CZ rimfires.............Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Va, I totally agree but I don't reload anymore, I sold my equipment and quit several years back, I think it may be time to start again though as ammo prices are going through the roof!..................Hillbilly.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ah....

And, yes, it's time to start again.

If you can find one, CZ makes a lovely little rifle in .221 Fireball and in .22Hornet (the Fireball is a personal favorite), and Ruger's 77/22H in .22Hornet gets a lot of play as well. Both are light, handy, and the CZ especially has a notorious reputation of being incredibly accurate out of the box. That set trigger doesn't hurt one bit in that regard. The Ruger's can take some tweaking, but work fine for most of what you're looking for.

What ranges are you generally taking birds with a rifle?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Oh, in regard to CZs in .22Magnum; coyotewallace had one. I've never been a .22Magnum fan, but that one of his was one of the most accurate rimfires I've ever seen. 5-shot, .3"s at 100 were normal.

The problem with .22Mags is the same problem with any rimfire; you've got to find (or hope to find) one or two brands/loads of factory fodder that it likes, and then buy enough of it to keep it happen because the factory WILL change the load from time-to-time, and the rifle might not like it. You've got no tweak-ability, outside of what the factories produce. And, in .22Mag, there are less options for finding good fodder.

I'd take a .22 Hornet, K-Hornet, .221, or .223, with reload capability, any day and all day, over a .22Magnum for what it is you're looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.