Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I also use the Ching sling, your scout look like the one of Finn Aagaard had, is it a Clifton model?

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
When Cooper coined the term "Scout" rifle, what did "Scout" refer to?

"The "Scout Rifle" was defined as a rifle suitable for general use by one man alone--as opposed to a firing group--and for targets of up to about 500 pounds in weight. The general opinion of the group was that such a rifle should be intended for use by experienced marksmen rather than beginners. It was further decided that the ideas incorporated in a scout rifle concept should be considered on merit alone, withoiut regard to marketability. While cost is acknowleged to be a consideration, it is secondary to excellence."

From the second paragraph of the documented Proceedings of the First Scout Rifle Conference held at Gunsite Ranch on 6,7,8 December 1983

If you can't improve on silence, shut the #@&% up!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Marseille

I also use the Ching sling, your scout look like the one of Finn Aagaard had, is it a Clifton model?

No the stock is High Tech Specialties www.hightech-specialties.com
Action is a blueprinted Remington 700 with a pedestal barrel by Dan Pedersen www.cutrifle.com
Built by Yost-Bonitz.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Scout build, that will happen some day...

Ishapore Enfield
Barrel chopped to 16.5"
XS Systems scout mount sleeved on
Front ramp sight installed
Lyman 57SME receiver sight installed
Talley QD rings
Burris Scout scope
Stock recut, reshaped to incorporate FL stock out front, and nose cap reinstalled.
Stock pack fitted.

Done.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
VA, most of those Ishapore 308's were ROUGH. The ones that Gibbs brought in were pretty nice. If you can find one, they go for $350-400 at gun shows. Put the XS mount on it and call it good. If it were me though, I'd just buy the Ruger...done.

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Don't like the Ruger.

And, it lacks a couple things that Cooper said were preferred, if not required. Feed lips for strippers, and access to run them in. Good irons. Non-proprietary mags.

A "perfect" scout would be something along the lines of the Ruger, but taking standard AR-10, M-14, or FN/FAL mags, with a stripper guide machined into the receiver for standard strippers. Good sights with a tritium-line or bead front. Adjustable receiver sight. Rail (obviously). The Ruger is close, but it falls short in a couple (IMHO) key areas.

Another scout idea is on a CZ mini-mauser, 7.62x39, 16.5" barrel. D&T for a rail out front, and modify a NECG peep for the scope base in the rear.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
"Russian 'Bear'" wink - Gorgeous K31! That would be more in my direction of a field-rifle, and certainly fulfills the purpose. The only drawback was K31's aren't exactly light, and their ammo is a little uncommon.
I think one of the reasons weight is a consideration to the Scout, as traditionally referred (see Eremicus's post), is that living off the land they need to maximize mobility, and thus minimize weight. You also don't want a bulky rifle/longer barrel with you, as these take longer time to "Swing" target-to-target, and are less portable/nimble. Granted, K31's arent exactly "long", but they still are longer than a smaller rifle.

A question then - the traditional European Battue - granted it's made for short range, many shooters of larger-calibers will agree that trajectory aside, they do have some hard-hitting range. If you were to make a "Bush-scout" or "hill-scout", one where you really won't get a good shot beyond 150m, a Battue with a good set of Irons/peep site could work, yes?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeFletcher

"The "Scout Rifle" was defined as a rifle suitable for general use by one man alone--as opposed to a firing group--and for targets of up to about 500 pounds in weight. The general opinion of the group was that such a rifle should be intended for use by experienced marksmen rather than beginners. It was further decided that the ideas incorporated in a scout rifle concept should be considered on merit alone, withoiut regard to marketability. While cost is acknowleged to be a consideration, it is secondary to excellence."

From the second paragraph of the documented Proceedings of the First Scout Rifle Conference held at Gunsite Ranch on 6,7,8 December 1983

Not what they defined it as...where did they get the term "scout"?

Hint...See Emericus' post.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish Ruger would have used a B&C stock. That laminate prevents it from ever being a true Scout.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Semi-autos are fine for wars and police actions.

War is what Cooper had in mind when he designed the Scout rifle you tard.

I think you are mistaken. What Cooper thought is easily verified inhis published articles, books and newsletters.

Where did he get the idea to call it a "Scout"? From a military scout. By the time Steyr introduced their rifle it was irrelevant in a military sense. Which is what I said at the beginning.

Cooper ALSO sold the Scout concept as a general purpose rifle capable of doing all the things outlined in the Scout Rifle Conference. But that doesn't change the fact that it's called a "Scout" rifle, or where the term originated.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Where did he get the idea to call it a "Scout"? From a military scout. By the time Steyr introduced their rifle it was irrelevant in a military sense. Which is what I said at the beginning.

Cooper ALSO sold the Scout concept as a general purpose rifle capable of doing all the things outlined in the Scout Rifle Conference. But that doesn't change the fact that it's called a "Scout" rifle, or where the term originated.

"Scout" as an identifying name really had very little to do with military operations, or any military soldiering. It had everything to do with an individual who was wise in fieldcraft and operated alone. The intended design of the rifle from the beginning was for engaging targets of 400 kilograms, much larger than enemy soldiers. Africa was never far from the man's mind. Ever.

I suggest reading "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth."

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There is currently a big argument going on over at the Scout Forums over what is a "true" Scout Rifle. Almost all of it centers on the weight limit which Cooper imposed. Seems the Steyr crowd refused to recognize anything over the weight limit as a "true" Scout.

About the only Scout I don't own is the Steyr... I had a nice black one on lay-a-way last year but just passed on it. One of the things one discovers when doing some in-depth reading is that they are prone to breakage... So one day I'll probably buy one but for now all my pseudo-Scouts as the Steyr people call them will have to do.

Remington 600/Leupold Detacho Mount/60s vintage Redfield 2X

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 Youth/B-Square mount/Leupold 2.5/NECG Peepsight

[Linked Image]

Marlin 1894s in .41 Mag...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ruger Frontier .308 and .358 with Leupold scopes and NECG sights..

[Linked Image]

.358 Targets from last week...

[Linked Image]

M4 Scout...CAR handguards/ARMS 14" SWAN Rail/Burris 2.75X/Burris FastFire

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/Semi-auto%20rifles/SW57012408029.jpg[/img]

Concept works for me...not for everything, but I shoot them a lot...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not what they defined it as...where did they get the term "scout"?

Hint...See Emericus' post.

You mean I should read ALL the words?

If I recall correctly Col Cooper mentioned Fredrick Burnham's scouting activities in South Africa as a point of reference to the Scout Rifle concept as well.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Mike,

Here are some pictures of wanabee lever scout Marlin custom in 45-70 after action. Not real scout but with scout scope or forward mounted red dot. Works very well in shooting running game. Concept that work very well when you take time to understand it as you certainly knows. Cooper was not a fool, his experience live on even in poor old France.
regards
Dom
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

all this wild pigs were shot while running in front of dogs. From 10 to 45m
The scout scope concept works very well even at very short range.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.