Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got a B&C Medalist for my Win M70, and the floorplate appears to be so tight up against the triggerguard that I can't get the floorplate release to activate. Since it's an older two-piece action, I bought one of these plastic spacers from CDNN
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just was wondering if other M70 owners have seen this and whether some Dremel relief up around the front action screw/floorplate cutout in the bottom of the stock or by decreasing the width/depth of the spacer might give me enough wiggle room to get the floorplate release to work again.

Last edited by fremont; 04/13/11. Reason: Photos

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Also, I can't fit the magazine in with these sides intact. (Without inletting the magwell, which I don't want to do.) I indicated the four cuts I'm thinking about making. Again, anyone install one of these spacers when using a 1-piece Win M70 stock for an older 2-piece triggerguard/floorplate combo?

[Linked Image]

Murphy was a grunt.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes, until I bought some upgraded PT&G bottom metal, I was using one of these spacers for a push feed m70 in a stock for the newer 1-piece bottom metal. I did remove some material from the spacer to help it fit better. IIRC, I thinned the sides and the corners, and used a little love tap to get it installed. It's a tight fit and I didn't want anything floating around. I did not modify the stock at all, just the spacer. And at $5/spacer I wasn't too worried if I screwed it up. That said, the 1-piece PT&G bottom metal at $90 (for the anodized aluminum unit) was a good investment, works perfectly and was a complete drop in with no mods required. I would highly recommend going that direction if you have the funds.

Rob

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, Rob. Did you look at the stock Winchester 1-pc part? Stocky's has a link to the Winchester site, but the .pdf for the parts' catalog is from 2008. The 1-pc SS unit is around $45 in that catalog. I'll look at the PT&G model.

Re: the plastic spacer, any trouble with your floorplate release? I think my problem is related to the spacer under the front hinge; I can't easily get that front screw started, so I think the spacer may be too thick (plus, the floorplate release won't work).

Murphy was a grunt.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I did look into getting Winchester bottom metal. IF you can get it from them (good luck), I think by the time you get all the needed parts, it was well over $45.

As I recall, I did have a little trouble with the release. But I know I didn't "thin" the shim top to bottom, only side to side.

Rob

Last edited by Technoman26; 04/14/11.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
oh...one other thing, I'm sure those spacers are meant to be used with a Winchester factory stock, so they may in fact need some mods to work with the B&C although I'd think it would be a close fit.

Rob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of M70 S/A CLassics in the B&C Medalist stocks and use the CDNN adapter and 2-pc bottom metal. Have not run into any issues such as you describe on these

I also just received a B&C Medalist stock for a M70 L/A, and it has the same issue as you describe. The CDNN adapter and 2-pc bottom metal just don't seem to want to fit properly - regardless whether it's the B&C stock or a factory Win stock with a 1-pc bottom metal inlet. I'm not loosing a lot of sleep over it since I do have a PTG 1-pc unit on its way.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Which PTG model are you guys buying? Ain't excited about $199 for a SS L/A model.

Murphy was a grunt.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought the Aluminum unit anodized black which is now $94. I think I paid a little less than that...maybe $89. Anyhow, I bought the aluminum unit to save a little weight since it was going on a featherweight custom I was building at the time.

IMO, it's a good unit.
Rob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Technoman26
I bought the Aluminum unit anodized black which is now $94. I think I paid a little less than that...maybe $89. Anyhow, I bought the aluminum unit to save a little weight since it was going on a featherweight custom I was building at the time.

IMO, it's a good unit.
Rob

+1 - although I opted for the silver unit.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, it's fitted. Kept the original Win M70 2-pc. unit (floorplate + triggerguard). Cut the Delrin spacer where I noted (so the magazine would fit), and filed (slowly...) on spots where the floorplate was hitting the bottom of the stock on each side of the magwell. Luckily, the filing is hidden by the floorplate.

One other thing: The floorplate's front action screw hinge was about .020" below being flush with the stock. This seemed to be a major reason why the floorplate was binding at the release. A trimmed rubber washer seemed to square up everything by raising the hinge up flush with the stock, so now I can activate the release without difficulty.

Murphy was a grunt.
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shot it yesterday. 30-06 using 150 Hornady SSTs over less-than-max charge of H414. Also used the COAL length suggested in Hornady manual (3.230") and used Lee FCD to crimp at cannelure. (I now load that type of bullet closer to 3.290", but these rounds were from over 4 years ago.)

Got all three groups of 3-shots to fall within 1 1/8". Not bedded yet. Am considering not bedding, but probably will because I'm an inveterate tinkerer.

Murphy was a grunt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 24 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,362
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.