Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
I won 2 Hawkeyes back in the fall of 2008. I like the rifles but will say that the matte finish on those was delicate!

There could be a windfall here. Matte Hawkeye owners maybe tempted to dump their rifles in favor of the new blue therefore creating some good buys if you do not mind the matte finish. (speculation on my part) smile

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

HR IC

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As promised, the pictures of my NRA Hawkeye with the new finish. To clarify something from a previous post- the $787 was for the Hawkeye African. The dealer has $609 on the standard Hawkeyes. IMO, 787 and 609 are pretty decent prices around here.[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Not the best pictures, but still a decent look..

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You had me drooling until I saw the floorplate frown. It looks a tad tacky, but that is probably just me. That sure does look like the MKII. Very nice rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
I won 2 Hawkeyes back in the fall of 2008. I like the rifles but will say that the matte finish on those was delicate!

There could be a windfall here. Matte Hawkeye owners maybe tempted to dump their rifles in favor of the new blue therefore creating some good buys if you do not mind the matte finish. (speculation on my part) smile

You might be right, but I don't mind my matte finish hawkeye. I sure would like to buy a new one though.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The floorplate is coming off. I'll order a new one from Ruger and put this one in the safe. A little too much for me too, but I don't want to mess it up either. Ruger says it's a 24K gold inlay. If that's true, probably worth more than the gun! I'll use the gun as a hunter/shooter. Looks good, feels good and hope it shoots good. I'll find out soon.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beauty. I'm sure it is a shooter too. Whatever you do, don't get rid of the forend tip pressure that ruger designs into the stock (most of them shoot better with it). You may want to glass bed it and lighten up the trigger spring, but that is about it with that rifle. Good luck with it.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sure liked the old blue on the MK II. Perhaps Ruger has discovered that the easy matte finish does not ward off weather near as well as a deep polished blue can. I left a rifle on the mountain one cool fall evening when I was not able to get back for a second load with my young son before dark enclosed us. I was a bit woried that the cold spitting sky would smudge that new rifle. But the blue was untouched 16 hours later.

I'd like to see some short runs of matte stainless Hawkeyes in the old Zytel "boat paddle" stock. A trio of 308s for the boys would be perfect.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Klik,

How 'bout a 20-inch-barreled 308 with sights? Check-out this baby: http://ruger.com/products/m77RugerCompactMagnum/specSheets/37101.html

I want one of those with the new finish.

The "old" Hawkeye matte finish might not "ward off weather near as well as a deep polished blue can" but I would bet the real reason for switching back to a blued finish is simple economics. I don't know anybody who likes that gritty nasty finish, but I know a lot of guys that like a polished blued finish. I don't think the matte Hawkeyes sold very well. I didn't buy one, and I like Rugers.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've also 'welded' the bolt shut on the older blued rifles during a week long goat hunt.

The most rusted rifle I've ever owned was a blued M77

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bsa1917hunter - "NRA"...it would work IF your name was say "Nathan R. Adams". Letters do seem a tad large... Nice blue job however.
Regards, Homesteader.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've also 'welded' the bolt shut on the older blued rifles during a week long goat hunt.

The most rusted rifle I've ever owned was a blued M77

same here on a week long hunt.Never seen a rifle rust that easily.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That looks suspiciously like Whittaker's laugh , down by O-boro. I hate that place, I can't get out of there without buying something I don't need..................................It always seems to be some kind of CZ, for some reason. Now I'll have to look at the danged old Rugers, too. wink

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 63 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,734
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.