Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TC280 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Can anyone tell me what kind of distance i can expect to take a shot for wyoming antelope? I am talking about a hunters range ,not a long range shooters range.I just bought a 6.8 spc for my encore and i am considering using it in place of my 280 ackley. I have never hunted antelope before and am unsure what to expect.thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Depends on several things. Antelope hunting is usually as hard as the person hunting them makes it. It should be no problem to get within 100yds of an antelope. The tend to get a little more "spooky" during season, but a guy still is able to get within 100yds if he uses his head and "stalks up on them".

Hemi

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Practice at 200yds and you'll be golden....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hardly an expert but man I do like to hunt them. I did my 1st trip to Wyoming 4 years ago, was all duded up with a new set of big binocs, range finder, brand new 25-06/with bipod shooting 100 grain TSX ammo all set for reaching out there. Ready for some longer range stuff. Ended up getting my buck at a whopping 70 yards:)

In 2009 different story, got my best buck at a ranged 317 yards in a pretty steady wind. Last year I was back under 100 yards on my buck and 2 does. So, I suppose like Ingwe said 200 is a good distance to figure on. At least thats what I try for now.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I've never shot over 300yds, and I've shot over 200 yds only once.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We shoot about 4 every year here in Wyoming. Average? About 250 yards I would say. Based on how spooked they are you can get closer!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What everyone said.

Lots of times they will spook off to long range, but you can pick up and find another easier opportunity all day long.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TC280
Can anyone tell me what kind of distance i can expect to take a shot for wyoming antelope? I am talking about a hunters range ,not a long range shooters range.I just bought a 6.8 spc for my encore and i am considering using it in place of my 280 ackley. I have never hunted antelope before and am unsure what to expect.thanks

however far you decide to shoot and I am not being sarcastic. been there with myself and friends from 8 to 1140 yds.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Agree with Ingwe. Practice at 200. Although I did shoot one in Wyoming at 304 'cause I couldn't get closer and he was about to go...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
1st ever lope
Colorado 220 yards

2nd lope
S. Dakota 352

3rd lope
wyoming 192

Average about 250 yards.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
200-300 yards is pretty typical. I kept an eye on this buck all day. He finally moved behind a "bump" in the terrain. 200 yards shot .30-06 and 130 grain interlock. He was facing me and I center punched the heart. He dropped and didn't move. Yes, that is my daughter goofing around behind me...lol. Flinch
[Linked Image]

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one was 175 yards running. 100 grain Hornady Interlock at 3,400 fps from a .25-284. Coyote was 40 yards, same bullet. Not a bad day laugh Flinch
[Linked Image]

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Shot my one and only one at 49 yds.....with a bow.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few years ago I added up the ranges for all the pronghorns I've shot, plus all the others I've seen shot, and the average was right around 200.

I've killed two at 400+, but those were both really big bucks where the odds were strongly against getting any closer. One was a Wyoming buck that had been seen several times that season already, by various people, but never at less than 500 yards unless it was running like hell. So when I got within 401 (lasered) I took the shot. But I've also killed several other big bucks at anywhere from 80 to 250 yards in a variety of terrain from New Mexico up to northern Montana. )Hope to get one in Alberta someday....)

A lot depends on the terrain. Years ago, before ATV's overran so much of Montana's BLM land, my wife and I used to hike into the badlands with packframes. Our average shot, over several years, was 130 yards. In flatter country the average can be twice that, but unless you just prefer to shoot at longer ranges there's no real need.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
love hunting the damn things....also love trying to get as close as possible, once yah learn what spooks them and you dont do that and know how to use the terrain or have extra help you can actually get pretty close if yah want to......great thing bout speed goats is even if yah blow a stalk it usually isnt hard to find another bunch and start the process all over again grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
TC280 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Great info everybody,i think i will go ahead and use my 6.8 spc. 300 yds would be max, with 250 yds being allowing a little wiggle room.thanks again

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
love hunting the damn things....also love trying to get as close as possible, once yah learn what spooks them and you dont do that and know how to use the terrain or have extra help you can actually get pretty close if yah want to......great thing bout speed goats is even if yah blow a stalk it usually isnt hard to find another bunch and start the process all over again grin

Not to hijack this, but Ingwe if you don't mind what are a few things not to do. I kinda know some obvious stuff but anything else in particular that might help a rookie??

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i hunt public land goats that get spooky as hell after a week or so of the season......after a herds been shot at a few times all it can take to get them to spook is a pickup stopping on a road for any length of time or the silhouette of a person walking up right, dont do or look like that and your usually golden....

speed goats have great eyes but aint to bright and are actually quite curious......the wife and i will "play cow" popping up over a ridge with my wife walking leaning forward and im bent down behind her grabbing her belt, keeping most the goats looking at the side of us.....silhouette looks like some [bleep] up 4 legged critter and not a person, last time we did that we actually walked up to bout the 200 yard mark......if your by yourself, crawling on your hands and knees can work but your gonna need leather gloves and knee pads.....[bleep] sucks picking cactus spines out of your palms and knee caps.....

if all the goats are on one side of the road and your willing to jump out of a slow moving vehicle, so long as the truck doesnt stop they usually wont spook.....have someone drive the truck down the road while you jump out the passenger side and you can get fairly close sometimes....

also keep in mind to watch the wind, they may rely on their eyes to alert them to danger but they do have damn good noses and ive spooked some cause the wind changed.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My personal average is a bit less than 200 yds (based on the information that is readily available). For the daughters and grand-kids, it works out to a bit less than 240. The difference is due to the fact that most of the bucks that they shot were stalked by two people and we decided that, in many cases, closer was not feasible. The two daughters' composite average is closer to 300 as they are confident with long shots. They always use a solid rest and do not hesitate to shoot when they are sure of the shot, regardless of the actual distance. They have never lost one.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Few things not to do...
Dont let them wind you..
Dont skyline yourself..
Dont chase after them, drop 200-300 yards downwind and wait, theyll often make about a 90 minute circle...
Don't let them see you...I know..it sounds stoopid..but pretend they are gonna shoot back, and you'll be golden wink

DO...carry a small cow elk call...you can call unspooked ones with it, and you can stop spooked ones on occasion...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 17 invisible), 1,610 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,961
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.