Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
My brother was given a field grade LC Smith that is in need of some gunsmithing. One of the hammer springs had been broken, and someone evidently took it apart without the knowledge or tools to fix it properly. He needs someone to do some rather extensive work on it, replacing and fitting some new parts that were trashed. I took it to a local gunsmith who looked inside and told me it was over his head. Can any of you folks recommend a place he could send it that would be capable of doing the work?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Darlington Gunworks in Darlington, SC.
Jim Kelly's speciality is doubles.He is slow or was but very good.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
A
A
Jim Kelly's speciality is doubles.He is slow or was but very good.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It shouldn't be "over the head" of any competent gun smith. It's not rocket science. If a 'smith isn't familiar with the nuances of a particular gun there are a myriad of ways to learn virtually evrything instantly theses days. A guide book, or internet tutorial combined with a COMPETENT 'smiths innate abilities should result in a good safe repair job. If my local 'smith gave me a reply like that I too would be looking elsewhere. Finding a 'smith who understands v-springs and the making/fitting therein is tough today. Most "smiths" anymore are content to limit themselves to working on mass-market guns-- autoloading shotguns, AR-15s, Ruger 10-22's, etc. and can't be bothered to acquire the skills that were basic to being a gunsmith a generation ago. That skill set (along with the accompanying attitude) is what I'm referring to when I use the word "competent".

Myself and my friends who collect Smith guns do our own work on them. For your benefit I called around and they all declined citing legal issues. Jim Kelly's name did come up though.

Good luck to you. I can guarantee that when your Smith gun is fixed it will give you much pleasure. They are among the best shotguns ever made in America. Their old ad slogan "A Thing of Beauty and a Joy Forever" wasn't far off the mark.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I was glad the young gunsmith was up front enough to admit that he was probaly not competent enough with the old shotgun to do it justice. I will have my brother call Mr. Kelly to see if he can help him get the gun back in shape.

I agree about the "Joy Forever" bit. I have had and have used LC Smiths for many years. It seems that every time I get a nice Field Grade some relative takes a liking to it. I usually wind up giving it to them. I have held on to my favorite Specialty Grade and use it often.

This Field Grade was given to my brother by an elderly neighbor who had been given it by an old friend of his who did not want it anymore because one trigger would not work.

I took off the side locks and found that the right hammer spring was broken and that the right trigger was bent because someone forced the lock back on without putting the trigger in the proper position. One of the firing pins was also broken. The hole into which the end of the top lever fits and the top lever itself had been buggered up a bit. I got my brother to get a bunch of parts from Numrich and feel that I could put it back together with a little careful TLC except that the firing pin he got from Numrich was not the correct style. It was a real hoot dealing with those leaf springs.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will second Mr. Kelly as the LCS-Fox gunsmith,,,He did the restoration on the lost "Bo Whoop Fox" and other creditable guns....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LC Smiths aren't the easiest SXS to work on and you should let only a experienced LC Gunsmith work on them. Briley would be my choice on quality double guns.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sure, they aren't the easiest, but like I said above it ain't rocket science.

Notropis, if you haven't posted a query over on the L.C.Smith Collector's Association web site, you might try that.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,420
Posts18,470,563
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.