Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A recently completed study indicates the wolf population continues to trend upward. The management recovery goal was 350 wolves in the state.

The recently completed study shows about 825 wolves. Factor in the 2011 pups and the population will exceed 1000 wolves.

What would you do - give the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources a pat on the back or a boot in the arse?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/120034129.html

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our government is a pack of very accomplished liars.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The wdnr makes alot of mistakes but I think this one is a federal mess. I don't believe the numbers though and think its far greater.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This all sounds familiar....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds good to me smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
SSS!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Knew you would be pleased.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think the recovery "goal" has more to do with the loss of huntable game than the actual number of wolves.
IMO, that is the real reason they were introduced when most people didnt want them in first place. Why else would the feds be involved if it wasnt progressing an agenda?
Eliminate the game, and you eliminate that evil activity the leftists and enviro-nazis dispise so much. Its not about the animals, its about controling humans, using sneeky tactics disguised as "helping" the environment and "natural" habitat. Guess they dont like the fact that humans are part of nature too.
Where are these bleeding heart liberals crying about the baby elk calves and famers livestock that are eaten alive by wolves? The elk and other wild game are just the sacrificial lambs if they can stop humans from hunting them.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
On the other hand, it just might be the only way there will ever be a decent recruitment of hemlock and oaks again.

Do you worry so much about the trout that are eaten alive by these guys? I watched them tear one apart this morning while it was still flopping... http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wisconsin doesn't have enough oaks? Are you nuts?

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

Wisconsin doesn't have enough YOUNG oaks. And if you know anything about oak dynamics in the state - you will know that the old oaks are declining (as old oaks are wont to do, plus a little bit more due to loss of fire, development, etc).

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
A recently completed study indicates the wolf population continues to trend upward. The management recovery goal was 350 wolves in the state.
Yeah, that was the spiel we got a decade or so ago when the population was about 500+.. And they did NOTHING..

The recently completed study shows about 825 wolves. Factor in the 2011 pups and the population will exceed 1000 wolves.
No chitsky..

What would you do - give the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources a pat on the back or a boot in the arse?
I'd fire 'em all and start over...

Originally Posted by Huntz
SSS!!!
Yep.. Jest a few more targets, possibly.. (not ME of course... )

You really have to ask ?

Originally Posted by BrentD

Wisconsin doesn't have enough YOUNG oaks.

Maybe in some parts of the state.. But in others, I could show you a few million or so new ones..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Recovery was a minimum of 350 wolves. Adrian has stated a number of times that he would not like to see that level go much below 500 as populations are always volatile.......and going below 350 would necessitate going back on a listing.

He has also stated numerous times it is necessary and desirable for the state to be allowed to manage the population unencumbered.

Pat on the back. The DNR has satisfied their obligation for recovery and delisting.

Last edited by GrandView; 04/20/11.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The wdnr makes alot of mistakes but I think this one is a federal mess. I don't believe the numbers though and think its far greater.

The fed's called up the WIDNR and said "we're the federal government and we're here to help you." But, that does not mean the WIDNR is the victim here. They gladly threw in with the fed's.

Agreed - it is difficult to believe the numbers because of WIDNR's track record in wildlife counts.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Eastern Jackson county has a ton of small young oaks. Should I start wacking the wolves I see?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have no issue with wolves inhabiting WI. I do have an issue on the completed study as it pertains to #'s. The WI DNR has proven time and time again (with deer and bear) that it's never even in the ballpark, let alone playing the same game when it comes to their "counts"......

If the study says 825, you can bet it's more like 1500 or 200. I'm prone to wager on the former. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrandView

Pat on the back. The DNR has satisfied their obligation for recovery and delisting.

You need to take into consideration the genesis of wolf recovery in Wisconsin to determine if the WIDNR should be credited with a pat on the back. In short, they were not forced to establish a wolf recovery program. True to WIDNR's MO they jumped at the chance to "manage" another species. In doing so it created another bureacracy and revenue source.

WIDNR should never have got involved - let the Fed's handle the prickly situation.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Agreed - it is difficult to believe the numbers because of WIDNR's track record in wildlife counts.

No doubt. Should we revisit the bear count or the last 4-5 years worth of deer counts?

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are few things harder to count than deer. Not much progress has been made in that area either.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by SKane
If the study says 825, you can bet it's more like 1500 or 200. I'm prone to wager on the former. wink

Don't you mean two towsand?

Give us back our wooves you cheezers!

You know what it is dont you? It's those turkeys you guys have over there, you guys are trying to steal our wolves by baiting them with your turkeys aren't you?

Something clever here.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.