Print Thread
Hop To
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would like to buy a davis wall tent and stove that will handle 4 people at the max. What size should I be looking at?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Look at this months spcial.
I have this tent with an added window and the peak stove. its a great tent!!

March Special
14� x 16� Wall tent � water, mildew and FIRE treated canvas.
All of our tents come standard with:
5 foot walls (cut size)
Stove Jack � 4� 5� or 6" - your choice
Zipper Door
Sod Cloth
Ridge Pole Sleeves
Rope with metal tensioners
Steel Stakes
+ The special comes with these options FREE:

Internal Frame Angles

(black pieces in the photo) - normally a $150.00 option. We will also provide a complete cut list for the 1� conduit (EMT).
A Canvas Tent Bag
normally a $25 option.

Any of our other options - windows, screen doors, back doors, storm flaps, etc. - can be added at their standard price.
Normal List price is $1,111.76
This month Only $899
Call us toll free 1-877-ELK-CAMP (355-2267) to order.

** Any of our options can be added at regular pricing.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In my opinion Davis makes the best wall tent going..That said,I use a 14'x16'and with 3 hunters and all their gear I wouldn't want it any smaller.
It also depends on if you will be cooking and eating inside.It's real nice to have the extra room of a larger tent if needed.
I have always heard most folks by tents too small and regreat not going with the larger size.
If it were me and 4 hunters in one tent, I'd consider somthing a little bit bigger....Just my opinion

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I would get each of two hnters to buy a smaller tent with doors one each tent so they can be set up in tandem. Maybe 10 x 12's That way 4 can live more comfortable in the space of two tents and you have the ability to down size if a fewer number of hunters go and you can always set up smaller tent your self.

You would only need one stove for both tents.

Unless you are real friendly, a 12x 16 is cramped with 4 hunters

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been using a 14x16 for several years now with 4 hunters. It can get a touch crowded at suppertime but it is totally doable. Normally two or three of us sleep on air beds and they go on top of the other's cot until lights out providing plenty of room for chairs. This is on pack ins only though. If near the truck the gear gets put somewhere else or in a dome tent outside.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I would get each of two hnters to buy a smaller tent with doors one each tent so they can be set up in tandem. Maybe 10 x 12's That way 4 can live more comfortable in the space of two tents and you have the ability to down size if a fewer number of hunters go and you can always set up smaller tent your self.

You would only need one stove for both tents.

Unless you are real friendly, a 12x 16 is cramped with 4 hunters
Aside from cost, I really like this idea. Thanks!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If all activities (sleeping/meal prep, etc) are in a single tent, then go as large as one can afford. Our current party of 5 reservers the wall tent strictly for meal prep, eating and socializing, and drying of wet items. We do just fine with a 12 x 14.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/28/11.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have both smaller tents ( 10 x 15) and bigger ones(16 x 24), ad a 10 ft Hex tent

The big one could sleep 4 and have a kitchen. and a wood stove and was pretty nice,but as out hunting party dwindled I was forced with the problem of trying to put it up,which I could not do.

The 10 x 15 was a 10 x 12, but we had to roll our bed rolls up in order to put the kitchen panniers in to a cooking area, so I had it modified by adding another 3 ft panel.It works well for 3 guys now,but is tight.It is great for 2 guys.Still had a problem putting it up myself.

Now if alone,I take the hex tent.If we have a big party ,we take two tents and set themup in line and that works out great.

The problem of rolling up or stacking beds, etc is that if you are stuck in a tent for even a day or so because of storms or snow, it gets really tight with 4 guys and there is no room to hang and dry things out.Bed rolls get soggy from not being able to lay out opn during the day and you get colder each night.
I have been doing this for a lot of years and could not count the weeks I have spent in wall tents.Certainly over 100, and the two tents in line gives the most flexibility, and I don't like to be crammed in with every one tripping over every one else.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the 6 or so guys that usually inhabit our camp, a 16 foot square GP Small and roughly 8x 10 or maybe 8x12 circus tent with awesome fringe has been working out alright. However, my buddy just added a 16x32 GP Medium, so we can probably retire the circus tent, whose poles are in pretty rough shape anyway. We've had 6 guys plus most of their gear in the 16 foot square tent, plus a couple of dogs without any problems. Usually used propane heaters, but we now have a 30 gallon wood stove to work with. The buddy who just bought the big tent used that with coal in the GP Medium on a youth camping trip a few weeks ago to great effect.
All I'm saying is if you've got room, take the biggest tent you can get your hands on. It's nice to be comfortable.
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
14x16 with 5' walls gets my vote. I have one and it waws great but as more people joined our hunting group it got tight. Now we have a 16x20x5 walls with an 8-10' porch out front and use a diesel furnace now. 7-8 guys comfortably. We use another tent for our cook shack.

Internal aluminum frame is a must IMO. Had one with the old tent bought new in 1996. nOW THE NEW ONE BOUGHT NEW IN 2007.

Last edited by MightyPeace; 03/28/11.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If one 14x16 isnt big enough, get 2 at that price.

I dont eat or store my gear in the tent I sleep in

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a 14' x 16' wall tent, it works great for 4 people. and i use a propane heater in mine.

Kevin

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been sleeping, cooking,eating and storing gear in my tent for many years and I shoot an elk every year. I usually take a sponge bath of if ML seaoson a showeer every day.

You have to watch the wind no matter what you do. Stink a little or stink a lot, makes no difference to the elk.If they smell you,they are gone.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a pair of 14X16 Davis tents. Three hunters with cots/gear and room for cooking/eating is easy. Four will fit, but it's cozy. If not used for a cook shack, four is easy.

I like the 14X16 size, it's lots of room and one guy can put it up alone if necessary(but 2 goes lots faster). Rolled up it fits easily into a 32 gal plastic trash can. Hard container for storage is important, keeps the mice from eating it after it smells of bacon.

Have both a Peak and a Ridge stove. Either will run you out if you open them up. You can jam just a little more fuel in the big one, so it lasts longer at night. We use a little lump coal to keep fire going at night.

You will want a white plastic tarp, to serve as a rainfly/snow slider/UV shield/spark protector. White is important, a dark tarp will make the inside darker. Having it long enough to be a 6-8ft awning is nice to have a dry snow free area in front of the door.

We have one tent with the Colorado door. It makes a flap so you don't have to zip the tent every trip in and out. Wish I'd got it on both.

The Davis boys are the best, they are hunters too and have a clue about what works and what is fluff...

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the info, all.
Does Davis periodically run specials or is it a march only thing?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Davis runs some type of special pretty much every month.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a smoking good deal from my friend Stacey.

Give him a call.....$2100+ worth of nearly new stuff for $800!!!!

http://forum.semo.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=275278

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a helluva buy with the frame and stove included! For anyone who doesn't know, Cabela's wall tents are made by Montana Canvas.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.