or primary extraction.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by rost495
I'd think shooting hundreds of 5 shot .25 moa groups at 100 yards I'd be thinking about competing in benchrest for sure.

Rost, I shot little bitty groups, at 100-200 yards, every week for over twenty years proving my police sniper abilities when I was active. It frankly bored me after awhile. That why I compete in F TR. It is hard as hell to shoot sub .50 moa 15-20 rds groups from 600-1000 yards, so that is where I now spend my time shooting. Like I said before .50 moa at distance is harder than .25 moa up close if you have right equipment.

Eddie, My comments of this not being new outside this website are frankly, this has been hashed and rehashed over and over again for last ten years that I know of. Not a judgement you guys are just late to the party. It was not a slag. Many here have never heard of my slings either but that has not stopped me from selling many thousands to the US Military either. Mikes work around HRT type teams is well known and respected. He is the armorer for LASD SEB ( one of the premiere HRT Teams in nation) I hardly ever see a Police Sniper class out here that does not have one or more of Mike's rifles in it. They all shoot well from what I have seen.

I have no vested interest in TacOps what so ever. I paid retail for my one and only TacOps rifle. I only wrote here to give first hand results by someone who actually owns a TacOps rifle. My world has that bit of information weighing a bit heavier than speculation.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Butch, I believe that is Tom Libby's group, shot in '09 and qualified for new World Record...

Last edited by pooch; 04/20/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know all he has to do is run the .00005 indicator into the chamber before taking it out of the lathe. Even a hack chambering in the headstock with good bearings will show no runout. A bad setup may make a chamber that is larger at the base, but not runout. If you have any machinest experience, tell me how to make an out of round chamber.
Butch

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
pooch,
That is correct. I posted that my smallest was .152 at 200yds. in a registered match. Hopefully you didn't read that I did that in the post. Read it again.
Butch

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
You know all he has to do is run the .00005 indicator into the chamber before taking it out of the lathe. Even a hack chambering in the headstock with good bearings will show no runout. A bad setup may make a chamber that is larger at the base, but not runout. If you have any machinest experience, tell me how to make an out of round chamber.
Butch

Butch I have zero machinest experience, I just find these discussions interesting, I have one ? is 50 millioths 1/2 of .0001

P
P
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Butch

Yes but I bet you can't make hundreds of rifles that shoot sub-.25MOA with FGMM 168gr ammo...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Yes but I bet you can't make hundreds of rifles that shoot sub-.25MOA with FGMM 168gr ammo...

[/quote]

Now here is something I wish would not happen. The bigger dick syndrom. Like I said lets leave egos out of it.

Butch and others I want you to think about this from a BR perspective. Imagine doing everything you can to a Remington 700 SA action to make it more accurate. Then have a chamber reamer mader for a BR type fit of Federal 168 grain ammo. Hold all tolerences as close as humanly possible. Think about instead of bring case, neck and bullet to be perfect match for bbl/chamber, make the bbl/chamber a perfect match for the ammo.

Then bed perfectly, finish perfectly and I bet you get one mighty fine shooting rifle.

Butch did not mean in any way to play down BR Shooting, I just prefer long range. BR develops many great things for shooting sports

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lets see pensword. I can only shoot a couple at a time and only do work for myself. There are better ways for me to make my money, but I can build an accurate rifle. There is a lot of BS being thrown about here. What do you consider a 1/4"MOA rifle? 3 shot group? one group? In a tunnel? Unlimited time limit? I think it needs to be decided before it is argued further.
Butch

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mike,
You are correct, it should shoot well.I don't think that I posted anywhere that I could build a better rifle than anybody. I can build a very good one though.
Ackleyfan you are correct.
Butch

PS I have to go to the Dairy Queen. I'm cooking tonight.Then it is Texas Rangers Baseball. Check with you in an hour.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 04/20/11.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Butch the guarantee as told to me was 3 shot group under .25 moa at 100 yards. He provided three groups under that size with my rifle. The five shot group was my idea as a test and is not what his guarantee to me was. As I said before TacOps market is mostly LE and most qualification tests for LE have historically been three shot groups. When I went to the old traveling FBI School it was a 1 moa group requirred to pass to 300 yards. Back in the day that was very hard because equipment sucked.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mike,
One of my shooting partners is a sniper with the BATF. When he goes to the range with me he puts up a target of a mans head. He puts one bullet in the forehead and puts his rifle up. He uses FGMM Ammo. We play with whatever then.
Butch

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Then you understand the put up two targets on top of each other. Shoot the group, file one target in admin file and keep one target for personal records stuff. LOL

I actually used to do two sets. One for cold bore shot and then second for group so I could prove how rifle performed after cold bore round.

Dating myself but my second rifle issued ( early 1980s) was actually built by Gale Mcmillan, an M40 in a smear stock, with original and brand new at the time Leupold Ultra Scope. My first was off shelf Remington with 6x ART ( POS) scope. That M40 was soo much better than anything else I shot against it simply was not fair. This TacOps is the latest and most accurate with factory ammo, in a line of great sniper rifles I have owned

You may find this funny but TacOps has not built my F TR rifles as I need a rifle build for a different purpose to shoot special ammo that is no where near sami specs ( 155s at 3050fps)

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Mike,

No speculation here, I know of your products and your slings. In fact I have had a couple of your slings and think they are absolutely top notch and I'm sure will order from you again sometime in the future.

I have also handled a Tac Ops 308 and they are very nice. Are there any other smiths out there that produce a "tactical" rifle geared toward HRT teams that shoot as good Mike's. Absolutely with out a doubt. GAP,APA,KMW and the list goes on. I would have to believe Eric Reid can build a stick that would shoot as well too (but he's working for the Corps. again).

Bottom line is if a capable smith (there are a bunch out there) builds a purpose weapon with a good barrel, and uses a reamer that has been ground to tight specs for a specific ammo such as FGMM 168, good stock, bedding and so on. Asemble this together correctly, then shooting some .25 MOA three shot groups is no great feat.

I know I have shot an awful lot of 3 shot groups that were one hole only to be opened up on the 4th or 5th shot to lets say .3 to .4ish

I'm glad to hear that a lot of Mike's rifles are used out there where you are at, they should keep the money local. Mike's got to pay for that Beverly Hills address.LOL

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by eddief
Mike,

No speculation here, I know of your products and your slings. In fact I have had a couple of your slings and think they are absolutely top notch and I'm sure will order from you again sometime in the future.

I have also handled a Tac Ops 308 and they are very nice. Are there any other smiths out there that produce a "tactical" rifle geared toward HRT teams that shoot as good Mike's. Absolutely with out a doubt. GAP,APA,KMW and the list goes on. I would have to believe Eric Reid can build a stick that would shoot as well too (but he's working for the Corps. again).

Bottom line is if a capable smith (there are a bunch out there) builds a purpose weapon with a good barrel, and uses a reamer that has been ground to tight specs for a specific ammo such as FGMM 168, good stock, bedding and so on. Asemble this together correctly, then shooting some .25 MOA three shot groups is no great feat.

I know I have shot an awful lot of 3 shot groups that were one hole only to be opened up on the 4th or 5th shot to lets say .3 to .4ish

I'm glad to hear that a lot of Mike's rifles are used out there where you are at, they should keep the money local. Mike's got to pay for that Beverly Hills address.LOL

Eddie you getting close to making chips? smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Extremely close. You will all know, thanks.

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
All my guns I sell have a 1/4 moa guarantee.... *Grin*

P
P
Originally Posted by TacticalIntervention

Now here is something I wish would not happen. The bigger dick syndrom. Like I said lets leave egos out of it.

Butch and others I want you to think about this from a BR perspective. Imagine doing everything you can to a Remington 700 SA action to make it more accurate. Then have a chamber reamer mader for a BR type fit of Federal 168 grain ammo. Hold all tolerences as close as humanly possible. Think about instead of bring case, neck and bullet to be perfect match for bbl/chamber, make the bbl/chamber a perfect match for the ammo.

Then bed perfectly, finish perfectly and I bet you get one mighty fine shooting rifle.

Butch did not mean in any way to play down BR Shooting, I just prefer long range. BR develops many great things for shooting sports [/quote]

My comment wasn't about whose dick is bigger, but rather the bigger picture. Holding a tolerance in an instance is one thing, holding it through out a build, again and again, is something else. I was encouraging comparisons to be made on a like for like basis.

People will believe what they will. Some will be more excited about what's possible rather than what's perceived to be impossible. All I know is I'm glad I picked up the phone and called MikeR - my Tango's at Birdsong's and will be in my hands shortly. That's as big as they come!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I hate when these things become which is best threads because you can not call anyone brand "Best"

I have many rifles:

Tacops is most accurate with factory ammo and prettiest rifle I own.

My GAP F TR is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, with one hole groups of 10-20 rds at 100 yards. These are my hand loads and here is catch, I told GAP what length ammo and bullet and they cut chanber exactly for that round. Same chamber specs as last F TR rifle they built me. Thats great work.

Eric Reid GAP M40A3 is just plain work of art to be used in mud and sand and shoots well enough to have taken second place in 1000 yard event in a US F TR National Match. It will shoot any ammo on market and never fail.

My run to the hills sniper rifle is my GAP TIS Special rifle because it does what I asked it to do, shoot sub .50 moa, with 22" bbl and weigh in at 10lbs with NXS 3.5-15x50 scope on it. It will shoot sub .25 moa groups with hand loads but I wanted this with a looser chamber so it could be full of crud and still take a target out.

Now any of the mentioned smiths can do work that shoots sub .25 moa but right now TacOps is only one I know that guarantees every single rifle he makes to do so.

I rank everyone of those rifles best in class because they where purposely built to do what they do best.

This thread started as if the .25 moa guarantee was real from TacOps and I am here to say yes it is.

Last edited by TacticalIntervention; 04/21/11. Reason: Typo of .50 instead of .25
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 18 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,677
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.