Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This beauty started life as a single shot 40-XB KS Varmint Special that I bought brand new in 1987 for $840.00. It had the Kevlar stock, factory 2 ounce trigger, polished blued action, and a 27 1/4" S/S heavy barrel chambered in 22-250. Through the years it's had three other stocks and more than twice that many barrels. Except for another barrel here and there, it's in it's last rendition.(hopefully) All set for some long range prairie doggin".

The action was trued and and the lug ground and pinned a long time ago. I sent it off to Eddie this winter to get Ceracoated in graphite black. The bolt was fluted by Karl, the Badger knob, handle screw, and bolt bushing handled by Gre'-Tan.

The barrel on it now is one that wouldn't quite cut it on my 1000 yard competition gun, so I had it cut off and re-chambered to this action. It's a 6MM heavy varmint 28" Rock 8 twist chambered in 6 Dasher. Current load is Lapua brass, moly plated 105 A-Max, fueled by R-15 and sparked by 7 1/2's.

The stock is a McM Marksman with sniper fill in black/dark gray/medium gray camo weighing 49 ounces.

Nightforce 40 MOA bases on top, Seekins high rings, and a 5.5-22x50 Nightforce with the NP-R1 reticle round out the package. Total weight is 14 pounds, 14 ounces.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So I took it out the other day for a little play time.

First up was a quick check at 300.

[Linked Image]

Next up was to move on back a bit.

So across the crick, up the hill, across two ditches, up another hill, and finally back down. Hit the rangefinder, 707.

[Linked Image]

All set, check the dope, click it, and let 5 rip.

[img]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6009/021nuy.jpg[/img]

Just enough mirage that I couldn't see the holes. Too much effort to go check, so I loaded up and went back up the hill some, and set up again. Rangefinder said 1052. Dialed it in and pounded out five more.

[img]http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8467/022lq.jpg[/img]

I think I'll leave it alone for a while now........

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Damn you're on a roll...

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dang a coupla somebodies did a few things right with that rig. Nice rifle and nice shooting. I definately likey. Turning green here over your ability to shoot at such long ranges! Veddy cool...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
aalf pretty nice "makeover" and fantastic shooting!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nice - I dig the Marksman stock - I'm looking for a platform for my 260 build, and am kind of against the A series of McMillans. Would be interested to hear your views on the Marksman over the HTG.....

Good Shooting, too.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B2

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've never had a HTG, so I can't compare it to anything. Seems to be an all yea or nay club, with no middle ground.

The A-5 stocks stole the forend design from the Marksman pattern. The butt is fuller on the Marksman and not as "squarish", and they handle bigger barrels like the A-5s do. I wouldn't do less than a Rem Varmint contour. They're great off the bags, bench, or bipod. Beings they are a fuller stock, they don't carry like a Classic, but I throw 'em over my back most times anyway if I'm hiking any distance.

I like 'em, as I have more than one......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bad azz set-up for sure. And 'one helluva shooter'.

Enjoy Easter dinner with your friends tomorrow Al. smile

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by aalf
I've never had a HTG, so I can't compare it to anything. Seems to be an all yea or nay club, with no middle ground.

The A-5 stocks stole the forend design from the Marksman pattern. The butt is fuller on the Marksman and not as "squarish", and they handle bigger barrels like the A-5s do. I wouldn't do less than a Rem Varmint contour. They're great off the bags, bench, or bipod. Beings they are a fuller stock, they don't carry like a Classic, but I throw 'em over my back most times anyway if I'm hiking any distance.

I like 'em, as I have more than one......

Thanks for the observations. I'm going with a pretty stout barrel from Brux -basically a heavier version of the Remington Varmint. My brother has a M70 with the Marksman stock and a M52, so I'm semi-familiar with their ergs (and weight).

I really like the look of your gun, and may emulate it with my own build. I do note that you have bdl bottom metal on yours - is it one of the repeater 40x's? Or is that part of the "makeshift" theme of the gun?

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

I do note that you have bdl bottom metal on yours - is it one of the repeater 40x's?

It is a single shot action. I had it inletted for a magazine and BDL floor plate.

Just wanted to leave possible options open for the future.....just in case......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like it shoots well..how does it compare to your competition gun? I really like the color scheme in patch camo...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B3

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
how does it compare to your competition gun?

It's odd that this barrel never showed me before what it's showing now.

It still can't hang with my 1K guns though.....

They've been proven over and over with multiple groups to their credit.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.