Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Recently got a small flock of chickens. Very enjoyable and rewarding hobby, with the benefit of all the eggs you could possibly want, and then some, but that's only a side line to this post. As a result, I go out every night when it's pitch black and check that they're all in their house and on their roost before I lock them up against predators. This is almost three weeks now.

Early on, because of this practice, I bought one of those forehead lamps to guide my steps back there (All the automatic lights for the backyard are now turned off so they don't disturb my little pals while they're sleeping). From the start, when I went out there, I'd see reflecting back at me from the grass hundreds of little bright lights. I had assumed they were dew drops, but last night I decided to find out once and for all what they were, so I got down close to the ground and shined the light right at one. It was a set of spider eyes. Every last one of those hundreds of little lights reflecting back the light from my forehead lamp were a spider. Kinda creeped me out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dats Florida Hawk, surprised you just noticed it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Recently got a small flock of chickens. Very enjoyable and rewarding hobby, with the benefit of all the eggs you could possibly want, and then some, but that's only a side line to this post. As a result, I go out every night when it's pitch black and check that they're all in their house and on their roost before I lock them up against predators. This is almost three weeks now.

Early on, because of this practice, I bought one of those forehead lamps to guide my steps back there (All the automatic lights for the backyard are now turned off so they don't disturb my little pals while they're sleeping). From the start, when I went out there, I'd see reflecting back at me from the grass hundreds of little bright lights. I had assumed they were dew drops, but last night I decided to find out once and for all what they were, so I got down close to the ground and shined the light right at one. It was a set of spider eyes. Every last one of those hundreds of little lights reflecting back the light from my forehead lamp were a spider. Kinda creeped me out.

and they are coming for you..................

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Try calling for coyotes at night in Texas in tarantula country...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE
Dats Florida Hawk, surprised you just noticed it.
Yeah, I noticed all the disgusting spiders we have here in Florida (a bit of a drawback for me, for sure, as I hate the little critters), but that all those little lights were spider eyes is new to me.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're wolf spiders. I was showing them to my daughter, Melanie, when she was 12-13 years old. She didn't believe they were spiders so I took a hand held spotlight and tracked one down for her across the yard. She marveled at it and then......she realize that she had walked across the yard full of spiders.

She rode back to the house on my back just like a monkey.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GregW
Lots of little pairs of eyes looking at you?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by GregW
Lots of little pairs of eyes looking at you?

I'd say...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're watching him... laugh
Insect Spies

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cast a plastic worm out amounst 'em and watch what happens. It'll go through them faster than a cat can lick it butt and another will get it. Give 'em lots of slack and you'll have a string full of chickens...great fun. (Chickens, not spiders.)

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MColeman
They're wolf spiders. I was showing them to my daughter, Melanie, when she was 12-13 years old. She didn't believe they were spiders so I took a hand held spotlight and tracked one down for her across the yard. She marveled at it and then......she realize that she had walked across the yard full of spiders.

She rode back to the house on my back just like a monkey.
grin I can relate.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Cast a plastic worm out amounst 'em and watch what happens. It'll go through them faster than a cat can lick it butt and another will get it. Give 'em lots of slack and you'll have a string full of chickens...great fun.
grin I bet.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Find someone to take ya coon huntin' some dark night. Twill add to your education....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was paid to carry a gun and drive the swamp roads at night south of Jacksonville. Those night got real long after a full day of Navy. I would be driving along getting drowsy when a bright red UFO would streak skyward in a zig zag. It would always cause an instant adrenaline dump what felt like a couple of gallons. Wake me right up. Never in my almost two years of that job did I get use to those whippoorwills in the headlights. Seems like it was a hundred years ago but I still can feel the shock.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or spend the night in the deep woods on an overcast night with no light. There are all kinds of things that glow in the dark, and some of them move.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And Scott when one of those jokers hits yo' windshield that'll bring you back. Got out to look and there was a gazillion skeeters in its mouth..

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Whip-poor-will. I never knew what one of those was before. Just looked it up. Sort of like a miniature owl.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
damn hawk you ever been outta your house

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
grin OK, that's getting old fast.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

peeker go outside? shirley you jest! laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,006
Posts18,481,440
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.