Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
was reading the thread regarding weatherby stock/recoil vs classic design.

what is the consensus for the average man (5'10", 180lbs). which stock has the advantage in the "recoil reduction" department?

thanks

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've shot both. It seems to me that the Weatherby style Monte Carlo has considerably more muzzle jump, that is why I would rather have a Classic style stock. I'm roughly average size. 6 ft and 215 lbs.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
hotsoup,

I have owned both styles, and I'll take the Classic design any time. And I have a fairly fat face. I'm 5'7" and 220. blush

Like the previous poster stated, the Wby design seems to have more jump. I prefer the recoil to come straight back. I've owned numerous .375 H&H's and .416's and NEVER had a problem shooting them accurately, even off the bench...

In fact, my favored stock design is the Remington CDL. Also fairly fond of the Winny M-70 FWT.

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

cbass, Grasshopper:

I'm 168 lbs, and recoil coming straight back is going to move me more than it does you guys! wink

- Tom

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Tom - I'm not a bruiser and I strongly favor the classic stock lines to shoot. Worst felt recoil I've had was a monte carlo or Weatherby style stock. It hurt. sick

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hotsoup
which stock has the advantage in the "recoil reduction" department?

thanks

Good question !

Bellow is from our friends at McMillan:

"It takes superior engineering to harness the power of today�s modern high intensity magnum cartridges. The McMillan Dynasty stock uses McMillan�s proprietary EDGE ultralight graphite technology to save weight without sacrificing strength. The stock offers a comfortable palm swell and a monte carlo cheekpiece that positions the head for scope use. The stock geometry is specifically designed to manage recoil when shooting the magnum calibers.The 24� match grade barrel is optimum for velocity and ease of carry."

Looks like they like Monte Carlo style

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer has a nice article on this exact subject in the latest Sports Afield.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, John hits it on the head. Height and weight is not the issue so much as your body SHAPE. Slope of the shoulder, length of your neck, shape of your face/cheeks etc. A tall slender person with narrower shoulders and longish neck will often much prefer a Weatherby style stock. A stockier body style might do better with a Classic but the best bet is to shoot several of both types and determine for yuourself what you like. Some like recoil to be directed up, some prefer it to come straight back. Few hard and fast rules, JB's artice (Mule Deer, here) is a CLASSIC in my opinion and should be a required read of any wannabe rifle looney.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I am 5'10" 175 lbs; I think perhaps body shape and proportion also affect which stock we prefer. For years I subscribed to the classic stock as that is what all the gun writers claimed was the best. Once I bought my Weatherby ultra-light in .25-06 I have strongly preferred the Monte Carlo stock. All of my present big game rifles wear Monte Carlo stocks. My brother claims that my Weatherby UL .25-06 kicked more than his Remington .300 RUM.

I believe that John Barseness wrote an article on body shape versus stock design in Rifle magazine a while back. Like all of John's writing I think it is well worth reading. GRF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For heavy recoil I like the Classic with a high thick comb, little drop,and a cheekpiece....best examples I can think of have been the Brown Precision,a "real" Griffin and Howe,and (maybe the best,for me) an Echols Legend.

This last turns a 300 Roy or 375 into a pussy cat.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Safariman, well said, looks like you beat me to the keyboard. smile GRF

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
The stock offers a comfortable palm swell and a monte carlo cheekpiece that positions the head for scope use. The stock [b]geometry is specifically designed to manage recoil when shooting the magnum calibers.

Looks like they like Monte Carlo style

Yet, they also have a Classic stock for the Dangerous game rifle in 416 as well as one with a Monte Carlo...which kinda implies stock design is more a matter of personal fit as already mentioned.

H
hotsoup Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
thanks men.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
both designs are about the same to me.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As you know, Bob I'm gonna be using the Echols Legend stock on the 375 Redneck and CASII are putting together for me so your report on the recoil taming qualities of the Legend are good news as it'll be fairly light for caliber when done.

The way life should be.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A model 70 Winchester in the Safari type rifle! This is indeed a good choice.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The term "classic" is certainly used loosely. Most of the "classics" I have seen have quite a bit of drop at the comb, contrary to what others have posted. I prefer a straighter comb.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Mule Deer has a nice article on this exact subject in the latest Sports Afield.

He devoted a chapter to it in his book "Obsessions of a Rifle Loony" as well.

(inserting plug for his book wink )

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
BTV Offline
B
Monte carlo, own both and much perfer the monte carlo for recoil management. I like a good cheek weld also, with a strait stock I always seem to be hunting the right spot while in the field.

If you outlaw Ninja rabbits with claws, then only outlaws will have Ninja rabbits with claws!
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Depends. Older Remington 700BDL stocks literaly hurt me to tears in any caliber over .25-06. Similar style stocks (Winchester, CZ and others) do not have the same effect on me. Overall, I like the monte carlo style a bit better than the classic for recoil. I am 6'3" and 170.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.