-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think my Tyson comment came across wrong. Although I think he's kind of a freak now, I didn't mind watching his 2 minutes fights at first. For whatever reason, before he came along, it seemed to me that boxing was different and legendary. It's no different than basketball for me. Back then, I liked watching the Celtics as I grew up in New England. I remember the classic days of Bird, McHale, Ainge, Perish etc and others around the league. After that era, I lost interest completely. It's weird, it seems sports before and after the late 80s were different. Maybe there got to be too much showboating, and the me me me mentality. I don't know.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the berto ortiz fight the other night was damn good.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I remember watching that fight live with a couple of Navy friends and our girl friends. It was a very active fight but I was left disappointed as well. Ray landed more light shots but every one of Marvin's was twice the power. I was always a fan of the Marvelous one and was sad to see him go out that way.

Leonard would spend 2 minutes and 30 seconds of each round running away, and in the last thirty seconds would flurry with pitter patter punches that didn't even get Marvin's attention. To the idiot judges, that rendered Marvin's work each round as irrelvant, as Leonard "finnished strong".

Makes my head hurt just to think about it.

Brian.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Larry Holmes was also a good boxer in his day . Norton vs Holmes was a good match.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
the berto ortiz fight the other night was damn good.

Berto finally ran into somebody who could exploit his weaknesses. Suprised it took so long for someone to finally capitalize on it.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
Larry Holmes was also a good boxer in his day . Norton vs Holmes was a good match.

Norton vs. Holmes is probably my favorite boxing match ever, next to The Thrilla In Manilla. Norton and Holmes are two of the most under rated heavyweights in boxing history. Both those guys were absolutley fantastic.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You're probably right. The best 3 rounds of action ever seen in professional boxing. But for my money, the fight that defined heavy weight boxing was "The Thrilla, in Manila" Ali- Frazier #3. Both fighters poured their whole career into that one foght. Neither were the same after. Two amazing warriors. Both lost, and won, in my opinion. Two amazing individuals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread is very depressing to me as I see/realize that fight, which I also watched with my dad, was twenty six years ago?!?! To me THAT has always been and will always be the best fight ever.

I stopped watching boxing in the 80s as well and have never found MMA or any variations entertaining, at all.

For all Tyson's disgusting and pathetic personal failings and faults I will never forget the first time I watched one of his 'fights'. I'm one year older than Tyson. He was probably 18 at the time I saw his first fight. It was a late night broadcast and he was still pretty unkown. I had never heard of him before. Not even sure if his fight was the lead on the card. In any event, at the time he had apparently never gone beyond the third round in a fight and was undefeated, all by TKO. The commentators made some comments just prior to the fight that there was some doubt about whether or not he had the stamina to go beyond three rounds. I heard all that and thought, "I need to watch this guy". For four rounds I kept thinking to myself, "What in the world is so great about this guy?" I mean he was doing nothing impressive at all. The bell rang for the fifth and he walked across the ring with a decidely different demeanor. When he reached his poor unsuspecting opponent, he hit him so hard and so fast, it literally put fear in MY heart. And I was watching the fight on TV!! The second to last punch was a body shot that had his opponent bend over and his last punch was an upper cut. The guys nose literally exploded! The way he hit the ground I honestly thought he was dead. I remember thinking, "My God, I just watched an animal beat the life out of a human." Tyson, who wasn't even winded during the post fight interview said in that painfully distinctive voice something along the lines of "People were saying I couldn't go more than 3 rounds. So I told myself I'd let it go 5 and show them I could."
I made sure the doors were locked that night.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Holmes was tough. I think he was stuck in an era of mixed up fans and he was always trying to win over the fan base. Holmes was the bad guy-especially after he beat a washed up Ali. The crowd still wanted the showmanship of Ali and the toughness of Foreman. Holmes peaked at a bad time - immediately following legends and nobody wanted to accept his contenders. After Tex Cobb lost to Norton (questionably) and lasted with Dokes, I thought he had a chance against Holmes. Wrong! That was a classic beating and I actually wanted Cobb to go down and stop the beating.

Hagler was the first "cool" athlete with a bald head that I can remember. Jordan gets the credit for paving the road, but Hagler set the stage. I wonder what Larry Bird (my favorite pro athlete of all time) would have looked like bald?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tommyd53
But for my money, the fight that defined heavy weight boxing was "The Thrilla, in Manila" Ali- Frazier #3. Both fighters poured their whole career into that one foght. Neither were the same after. Two amazing warriors. Both lost, and won, in my opinion. Two amazing individuals.

That fight was the most spectacular display of willpower, perservierence and plain old guts that you will ever see. I can't think of another fight that's anywhere close to as exciting, or as violent. Both those guys sustained life altering amounts of punishment in that fight. They both should have retired after that fight. Ali keeping on for years after that is what directly lead to his current state.

Brian.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree Brian
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by tommyd53
But for my money, the fight that defined heavy weight boxing was "The Thrilla, in Manila" Ali- Frazier #3. Both fighters poured their whole career into that one foght. Neither were the same after. Two amazing warriors. Both lost, and won, in my opinion. Two amazing individuals.

That fight was the most spectacular display of willpower, perservierence and plain old guts that you will ever see. I can't think of another fight that's anywhere close to as exciting, or as violent. Both those guys sustained life altering amounts of punishment in that fight. They both should have retired after that fight. Ali keeping on for years after that is what directly lead to his current state.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
For all Tyson's disgusting and pathetic personal failings and faults I will never forget the first time I watched one of his 'fights'. I'm one year older than Tyson. He was probably 18 at the time I saw his first fight. It was a late night broadcast and he was still pretty unkown. I had never heard of him before. Not even sure if his fight was the lead on the card. In any event, at the time he had apparently never gone beyond the third round in a fight and was undefeated, all by TKO. The commentators made some comments just prior to the fight that there was some doubt about whether or not he had the stamina to go beyond three rounds. I heard all that and thought, "I need to watch this guy". For four rounds I kept thinking to myself, "What in the world is so great about this guy?" I mean he was doing nothing impressive at all. The bell rang for the fifth and he walked across the ring with a decidely different demeanor. When he reached his poor unsuspecting opponent, he hit him so hard and so fast, it literally put fear in MY heart. And I was watching the fight on TV!! The second to last punch was a body shot that had his opponent bend over and his last punch was an upper cut. The guys nose literally exploded! The way he hit the ground I honestly thought he was dead. I remember thinking, "My God, I just watched an animal beat the life out of a human." Tyson, who wasn't even winded during the post fight interview said in that painfully distinctive voice something along the lines of "People were saying I couldn't go more than 3 rounds. So I told myself I'd let it go 5 and show them I could."
I made sure the doors were locked that night.

I've always found Tyson more interesting as a character study than as a boxer. It's a clear example that someone can attain all the wealth and fame in the world, and still be a walking train wreck. If you've never seen the documentary "Tyson", it's a must watch. Tyson is VERY open and candid about his personal problems, and you definetly come away with a better perspective on the man. It won't change your opinion of him, but it will help you understand how he became so screwed up in the first place.

For all his faults, Tyson was a beast in the ring. The beating he put on Michael Spinks was a masterpeice of violence.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Holmes was tough. I think he was stuck in an era of mixed up fans and he was always trying to win over the fan base. Holmes was the bad guy-especially after he beat a washed up Ali. The crowd still wanted the showmanship of Ali and the toughness of Foreman. Holmes peaked at a bad time - immediately following legends and nobody wanted to accept his contenders. After Tex Cobb lost to Norton (questionably) and lasted with Dokes, I thought he had a chance against Holmes. Wrong! That was a classic beating and I actually wanted Cobb to go down and stop the beating.

If Holmes had come 10 years earlier or 10 years later, he would have been a household name. Instead he picked up where Ali left off, and his every move was compared to Ali. Even beating Ali didn't make it go away - it just made it worse. Larry Holmes is the Rodney Dangerfield of boxing. Always has been, always will be.

Hagler was the first "cool" athlete with a bald head that I can remember.

C'mon dude - what about Ernie Shavers??

Brian.

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My father and I went to the local college auditorium for the closed circuit TV broadcast of the first Leonard vs. Duran fight.

My father is of Spanish descent and he and I were huge Duran fans.

I remember we were sitting next to a lady who was a hugely emotional Leonard fan. She would scream wildly whenever Leonard did anything and she would literally cry and wail when Leonard got hit.

We put up with it for quite some time but after a while all the Duran fans were being just as vocal as her.

That was a good fight and the outcome was very satisfying for us.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Professional boxing was ruined by Don King. End of story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
That does bring back memories. Remember when you could watch the big names fight on Saturday afternoon/night without paying big bucks? I'm only 40, but I remember watching Ali live. I watch that stuff on ESPN Classic now and my kids ask me if I was alive then!

What killed boxing was going to pay per view. Once they lost their presence on TV, they lost the bulk of the casual fans. One of the reasons why MMA took off so much is that they started showing a ton of stuff for free on TV. That way, people flipping through the channels would see it and stop and go, "Hey, that looks pretty cool, let's watch this." The UFC is even looking to put all but their biggest cards on broadcast TV - either NBC or ESPN. That's how you keep fan interest from getting stagnet and keep the money rolling in. The people who run boxing thought they could just put it all on PPV or premium channels like HBO and the interest would carry over. It didn't.

Now, unless Pacquiao or Mayweather are fighting, there isn't much interest in boxing among the general public. HBO won't even cover heavyweight fights anymore. It's that sad.

Brian.

Everything there is true, but what REALLY killed boxing is five different belts, and an unwillingness of top ranked fighters to fight each other unless it is for one of the five belts. Just think if there were only one champion for each weight like back in the day, and top ten contenders had to fight each other to earn a title shot. Now days it has become a choreographed dance. Thank you Bob Arum and Don King.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All of 'em...would have gotten their azzes kicked by this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Everything there is true, but what REALLY killed boxing is five different belts, and an unwillingness of top ranked fighters to fight each other unless it is for one of the five belts. Just think if there were only one champion for each weight like back in the day, and top ten contenders had to fight each other to earn a title shot. Now days it has become a choreographed dance. Thank you Bob Arum and Don King.

You're spot on. At one time, EVERYONE knew who the heavyweight champ of the world was. My mother knows who Ali and Tyson are to this day. Ask someone now who the heavyweight champion is, and they don't know. The fact that there are currently three guys holding heavyweight world titles doesn't make it any easier.

At this point, I'm pretty sure anyone on this forum could grab a pair of gloves and win an alphabet soup title. It's that preposterious.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
All of 'em...would have gotten their azzes kicked by this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

I love Rocky, but he would have gotten his brains beat out by the next generation of heavyweights that came after him.

Brian.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I could go a round or two before gassing out.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1beaver_shooter, 14idaho, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 16penny, 23 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,654
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.