Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What about that hard right Shavers caught Holmes with? That punch would have 10 counted all but the very best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cutNshoot
What about that hard right Shavers caught Holmes with? That punch would have 10 counted all but the very best.

There's a reason why Holmes, Lyle and Ali all said that Shavers was the hardest puncher they ever ran up against. You can't teach that kind of power. Shavers had a God given gift. Heck, I bet he still hits like a freight train.

And yes, just about anyone other than Holmes would have stayed on the mat from that punch. Holmes said that punch was the hardest he had ever taken in his career, and he said that after he had fought Mike Tyson in his absolute prime.

Brian.

PS- when Mike Tyson was just starting to get popular, they wanted to match him up with Shavers. Tyson turned the bout down flat, for obvious reasons.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Local boy done good. Marvelous Marvin, representing the Shoe, AKA Brockton MA. And as others have said, that's one for the ages. I loved watching him fight then, and still do. And he's one of the nicest guys you could meet.

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I knew if I posted a boxing thread I'd bring WCB out of the woodwork to provide us all with great fights and even better analysis and commentary.

I succeeded!

Thanks WCB!!!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My pleasure.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Funny I cant name a single MMA fighter.I think you could take any 3 rounds out of the Mickey Ward vs Arturo Gatti trilogy and name them top 3 rounds

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxing use to be a family affair for us. Everyone getting together to watch a Sat night fight, eat good food and listen to the grown ups argue back and forth over who would win. Some of my best childhood memories.

Anyways, this is one of the finest fights I've ever seen.

Pryor vs Arguello
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O39psaFgk_U

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
IMO, the best moment in MMA history:

I LOVED seeing that live! Hendo kept lifting his left foot to load up that right and then finally saw the green light opening and threw it. And then how Hendo put his entire body weight behind the coup de grace when Bisping was on the mat! I can't imagine how it must have felt to receive those two shots!

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 04/30/11.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Brian,
Remember how Ali always made up a "nick-name" for his opponents? Shavers was "The Acorn" right?
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by cutNshoot

There's a reason why Holmes, Lyle and Ali all said that Shavers was the hardest puncher they ever ran up against. You can't teach that kind of power. Shavers had a God given gift. Heck, I bet he still hits like a freight train.

And yes, just about anyone other than Holmes would have stayed on the mat from that punch. Holmes said that punch was the hardest he had ever taken in his career, and he said that after he had fought Mike Tyson in his absolute prime.

Brian.

PS- when Mike Tyson was just starting to get popular, they wanted to match him up with Shavers. Tyson turned the bout down flat, for obvious reasons.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Holmes vs Holyfied would have a joy the watch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holmes was a legit heavyweight champ, I think it would have been lopsided. I liked Evander, I wouldn't have wanted to see that. smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Think Holmes would have picked hit apart with jab?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It was painful to watch Holmes after growing up during the Ali/Frazier/Norton/Foreman years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It was painful to watch Holmes after growing up during the Ali/Frazier/Norton/Foreman years.

I hear that, he wasn't a thing of beauty, but he did have good hand speed, power, heart and plenty of nasty.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you want to talk about "what ifs",..Frazier vs Tyson would have been fun to watch when both were in their prime.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Liston take on the winner!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you want to talk about "what ifs",..Frazier vs Tyson would have been fun to watch when both were in their prime.

Train wreck that would have been. Tyson would have had to get Smokin Joe in round 1 or 2, after that it would be all Fraizer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I can't imagine how it must have felt to receive those two shots!

Expat

Neither can Bisping........

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tommyd53
Brian,
Remember how Ali always made up a "nick-name" for his opponents? Shavers was "The Acorn" right?

Yes, and after the fight Ali went up to him and said, "Earnie, you're a tough nut to crack."

Brian.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,662
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.