-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been watching the storms on the News over here and my heart goes out to the South....

Not been able to post of late due to PC problems, but have been thinking of all the folks affected, and I hope those that need it get all the help possible..

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Poor Bama got slammed. The Natl. WX service office, for this region is in Huntsville. They lost power to their doppler radar site in Jackson Co. AL. just across the state line from Franklin Co. TN. I'ld of thought that the radar site would of had a Diesel gen. for a backup power source. I believe the death toll in this state was five. I was up in N'ville today, i noticed electric co. service trucks heading South on I-65, probably towards the Bham area.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here are a couple of pictures snapped from an office building in Birmingham. Amazing and scary! Best wishes to all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Folks,

In no way is this meant to be disrespectful, but why, when an area is known for tornado's, are so many residential buildings made from wood???

The media here is showing streets which have been basically turned to match sticks...Surely brick or concrete block structures would fair better? I can still imagine them needing to re roof, but I would think the basic structure would survive?

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 04/28/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Here are a couple of pictures snapped from an office building in Birmingham. Amazing and scary! Best wishes to all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Taken from the Regions Bank building looking up 19th?

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E
Folks,

In no way is this meant to be disrespectful, but why, when an area is known for tornado's, are so many residential buildings made from wood???

The media here is showing streets which have been basically turned to match sticks...Surely brick or concrete block structures would fair better? I can still imagine them needing to re roof, but I would think the basic structure would survive?

Regards,

Peter

Peter, nothing hit directly by that could survive. I levels brick buildings. You couldn't afford to build a building to withstand that for normal business or living.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by .280Rem

I don't know the building name, but it is at 1901 6th Ave. North.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got word this evening one of my daughters in law lost her brother and his wife in Arkansas. The found them in the remains of their home.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Regions-Harbert Plaza

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Regions-Harbert Plaza

It hit all over N.AL. Sand Mtn. towns and counties bordering TN. also. The Huntsville TV station was showing pictures of AL. residents coming into TN. to buy gas and other items.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Folks,

Regards,

Peter

Pete,

There's a brick home about five miles from me that was leveled, they go maybe a half second longer than a wood home in a tornado. Concrete block structures get leveled also but they'll last longer than wood or brick, the disadvantage is that in our heat and humidity they sweat making them uncomfortable and hard to heat/cool, plus they're unattractive. We don't have much stone in the south so that's out as a building material, plus it has the same disadvantages much like your old castles in the UK, damp, cold and hard to heat.

What a lot of people around me have are storm pits, hardened shelters dug in to the ground. The water table's high here so not many have basements. I'm in a rural area and I'd say more homes than not have storm pits outside. I spent many a summer afternoon in my youth sitting in our storm pit, my mother wasn't much for storms. Most of your newer built suburban subdivisions aren't going to have storm pits, no place to put them and they're too expensive to build. Suburbs with their cookie cutter frame homes are ripe to be leveled by a tornado.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Folks,

Regards,

Peter

.280 Rem is correct.

[b][color:#3333FF]Hurricanes,[/color][/b] which I'm sure you're familiar with, top out at Cat 5 with sustained winds at or above 250 km/hr. You've seen the destruction that a Cat 5 hurricane can lay down.

These [color:#3333FF][b]tornado winds[/b][/color] , very focused when compared to a hurricane, are in the F3-F5 class of tornado range. They have winds ranging from 254km/hr to over 500 km/hr.

In [b][color:#3333FF]1999 in Moore, OK[/color][/b] an F5 touched down and tore up alot of the town, 36 people were killed. This storm had estimated top end wind speeds between 452 and 517 km/hr according to doppler radar.

They're BAD DUDES and not many structures that are built on a reasonable amount of $$$ will make it once hit.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone on the 24hcf hit by this storm?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bush must somehow be at fault.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Folks,

Regards,

Peter

If it's poured concrete & rebar maybe. But if you get in the 200 mph and up range a residential structure, from what I've seen, has no chance. I would consider it Divine Intervention if a basic block and brick structure made it thru a direct hit by this type storm.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
anyone have any links to provide relief?

I know we've got some stuff laying around we need to get rid of, including a bit of cash and some prayers.

feel for those folks down there

will say I'm very glad to hear our Mickey is okay, tks for updating us on that Lynn, tis appreciated.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't have direct links for relief but later today as work permits I will call 4 churches I know of in the area to see if they are actively working on disaster relief. For those that are I will give the correct information for those who would like to donate. From experience working after the 1998 F5 in this area I can tell you that simple things like water and ready to eat food were never turned down by the victims.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Omg cnn reports more than 300 killed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tks shootem

perhaps a new thread so that info when ascertained doesn't get buried in this thread.

always amazed me the power of multiplication, figure if 2000 or 20000 send a couple of cases of bottled water and couple of cases of RTE food, you can make a dent in hard times.

our nation is populated by a generous people

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2
Were any of the tornados near Mickey Coleman's place? Anyone heard from him?

My secretary's daughter lives in Tuscaloosa, and a friend of her's is missing.

She was found, right after they found her dog, both dead...about 200 yards from where the closet used to be that she'd been huddled in with her Labrador Retriever.

War Damn Eagle!

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 41 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,176
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.