-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for your reply! My brother's Monarch is a sharp light wt. binocular. The fellow at work that had the 10x42 Monarch with the china sticker on it wasn't as good, I really didn't have time to check it out much it was very early in the morning and I was supposed to be working wink. I noticed looking at the night sky there was a definite circle around the middle sweet spot that was darker, I have never seen that in a binocular before. I never told that fellow what I saw, he seemed to like the binocular.

Regards,Steve
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I should probably just stay out of this as the China thing gets chased around the fire here every time the inexpensive optics subject comes up. Don't mistake me, I don't like it (Made in China)any more than anybody else. Farmboy1 said a simple truth. In today's optics, almost anything $500 or less is at high probability (or near certainty) of being Chinese. I will add another one. Just because the label says "Made in Japan" does not mean much, if anything. John Barsness had a post the other day somewhere here when this subject was on the front burner that said sort of the same thing, but he added the observation that some companies even lie about the origin. Pay attention, he knows what he is talking about. Just because the label of the Olympus Magellan says "Made in Japan" does not mean much. It may be the truth. It may not be. For the price, I for one would be more surprised than not to find it really was "Made in Japan". I really don't know, but you need more information than the label on the binocular and the name of a Japanese company as proof. I have some idea of some stuff that people think is Japanese that is not. I can't prove that, so that's all I'll say. Fact is that ALL of the Japanese optics companies have major presence in China, most owning their own facilities there. Nikon and the entire Monarch line is a prime example. Monarchs are Chinese made. There is even a large German company with a very large optical facility in China as well.

It would maybe be a good deal to know what is really made where and how much of what is made where. However, you have to be more closely related to Sherlock Holmes than I am to figure that convoluted business out. I tend to evaluate the optic and in my opinion, folks here are smart enough to figure out for themselves what they want to do with Chinese manufacture. I sort of think bitching about Chinese optics is like taking aspirin for a headache and doing nothing about why you have the headache in the first place. Made in China is not the problem. The problem is WHY it is made in China.

The argument is also sort of lost out of the gate when the main argument comes down to "cheap Chicom crap". Sure a lot of it is, just look at Barska, BSA, et. al. But anybody who has looked a a $130 Zen Ray Vista knows he is not looking at crap, at least form an object quality point. From a political and cultural perspective, yes, but keep the argument there, because the root of the problem is political.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, the Olympus Magellan 10x42 EXWP 1 is Made in Japan.

Their high-index BaK-4 prisms and fully multi-coated lenses deliver crisp, clear images while waterproof, fogproof and dirtproof features help to ensure a great viewing experience under a variety of weather-related conditions. Additionally, long-eye relief capability and the binoculars� twist up/down eyecups make them more comfortable to use over extended periods of time.

Features:

*High-index BaK-4 prisms for bright, crisp images
*Fully multi-coated lenses
*Hermetically sealed and Nitrogen-filled for waterproof, fogproof and dirtproof performance
*Phase and UV coating
*Long Eye-Relief with Twist Up/Down Eyecups
*Large center-focus knob for fast, easy focusing
*Built-in dioptic correction adjusts to individual eyesight
*Internal focusing system

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by SteveC99
I should probably just stay out of this as the China thing gets chased around the fire here every time the inexpensive optics subject comes up. Don't mistake me, I don't like it (Made in China)any more than anybody else. Farmboy1 said a simple truth. In today's optics, almost anything $500 or less is at high probability (or near certainty) of being Chinese. I will add another one. Just because the label says "Made in Japan" does not mean much, if anything. John Barsness had a post the other day somewhere here when this subject was on the front burner that said sort of the same thing, but he added the observation that some companies even lie about the origin. Pay attention, he knows what he is talking about. Just because the label of the Olympus Magellan says "Made in Japan" does not mean much. It may be the truth. It may not be. For the price, I for one would be more surprised than not to find it really was "Made in Japan". I really don't know, but you need more information than the label on the binocular and the name of a Japanese company as proof. I have some idea of some stuff that people think is Japanese that is not. I can't prove that, so that's all I'll say. Fact is that ALL of the Japanese optics companies have major presence in China, most owning their own facilities there. Nikon and the entire Monarch line is a prime example. Monarchs are Chinese made. There is even a large German company with a very large optical facility in China as well.

It would maybe be a good deal to know what is really made where and how much of what is made where. However, you have to be more closely related to Sherlock Holmes than I am to figure that convoluted business out. I tend to evaluate the optic and in my opinion, folks here are smart enough to figure out for themselves what they want to do with Chinese manufacture. I sort of think bitching about Chinese optics is like taking aspirin for a headache and doing nothing about why you have the headache in the first place. Made in China is not the problem. The problem is WHY it is made in China.

The argument is also sort of lost out of the gate when the main argument comes down to "cheap Chicom crap". Sure a lot of it is, just look at Barska, BSA, et. al. But anybody who has looked a a $130 Zen Ray Vista knows he is not looking at crap, at least form an object quality point. From a political and cultural perspective, yes, but keep the argument there, because the root of the problem is political.

For what it is worth, all of what you said is quite redundant. What it amounts to is a big conspiracy on the part of all optics companies to label some of their optics as made in Japan and others made in China, which ever they think would do the best from the labeling based on their performance. I have dealt with optics in form or another for quite sometime and am fully aware of all you have stated. I evaluate every optic I look at regardless of country of origin, but in the end do not prefer to purchase Chicom products. There is a standard and reputable companies like Olympus and Nikon are not going to risk their reputations and money by intentionally mislabeling their products country of origin with respect to where they were manufactured. I have owned other Olympus binos where they stated they were made in China as well as several digital SLRs. In cased you missed it, I also posted a website where objective testing was performed so that the original poster and others can view and compare the performance of the Olympus and Minox with other binoculars. While I am confident that the Zen Ray product is good based on the recommendations and reviews, while I have never looked through any, I always like to have objective data to look at when recommending products to others in order to validate my recommendation and the fact that it is not only "good to my eyes." Chicom products are well known to suffer from poor quality control issues regardless of the price of the item. And while all Japanese optics manufactures have ties in China, so do all American optics companies, power equipment makers and so on. That does not mean we have to buy their Chicom made products. I try to buy Taiwanese made power and bench tools. So it is up to each individual to buy Chicom optics and I will say crap if they wish and support a country that wants to take us over economically.

Last edited by Dolphin; 04/18/11.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
FWIW, the Olympus Magellan 10x42 EXWP 1 is Made in Japan.

Their high-index BaK-4 prisms and fully multi-coated lenses deliver crisp, clear images while waterproof, fogproof and dirtproof features help to ensure a great viewing experience under a variety of weather-related conditions. Additionally, long-eye relief capability and the binoculars� twist up/down eyecups make them more comfortable to use over extended periods of time.

Features:

*High-index BaK-4 prisms for bright, crisp images
*Fully multi-coated lenses
*Hermetically sealed and Nitrogen-filled for waterproof, fogproof and dirtproof performance
*Phase and UV coating
*Long Eye-Relief with Twist Up/Down Eyecups
*Large center-focus knob for fast, easy focusing
*Built-in dioptic correction adjusts to individual eyesight
*Internal focusing system

Thanks Doug for the validation. These are some of the finest binoculars I have ever used regardless of the price. I cannot believe that more hunters have not found them "yet." www.allbinos.com objective rating system scores them very high and while they are ranked in a different magnification category than some expensive European brands, scored very close. By the way Doug has these for:

Olympus Magellan 10x42 EXWP 1
Price: $249.99

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How much do they ( Olympus Magellan 10x42 EXWP 1 ) weigh ?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 10 weighs 23.3 oz. with 15mm ER, 6� angle of view and the 8 weighs 22.9 oz. with 19mm ER, 6.3� angle of view. The 8 is not a wide field of view binocular

Regards,Steve
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by SteveWM
The 10 weighs 23.3 oz. with 15mm ER, 6� angle of view and the 8 weighs 22.9 oz. with 19mm ER, 6.3� angle of view. The 8 is not a wide field of view binocular

However, it should be noted that while the Olympus 8x42 has a FOV of 360.7 feet at 1000 yards compared to the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 of 390 feet which is only slightly less, the Olympus 10x42 EXWP1 binoculars exceed by a slight margin the FOV of the Swarovski El 10x42 binoculars (344.3 feet at 1000 yards for the Olympus versus 330 for the Swavorski.) So all in all the Olympus binoculars are in good company even considering that the Swarovski has a magnification of 8.5x versus 8x for the Olympus. Overall, at 1000 yards the FOVs are only slightly different for the two sets of binoculars.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dolphin

Thanks Doug for the validation. These are some of the finest binoculars I have ever used regardless of the price. I cannot believe that more hunters have not found them "yet." www.allbinos.com objective rating system scores them very high and while they are ranked in a different magnification category than some expensive European brands, scored very close. By the way Doug has these for:

Because it has "Olympus" on it would be my guess. Not exactly a name synonymous with hunting IMO. Is there any track record of durability or performance with hunters? The Burris Signature Select is fantastic, but I've never seen one being used in the field either.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would really like to know how the Olympus 10x42 EXWP1 compares optically to a Zen-Ray 10x43 ED. They're similarly priced.

Anybody?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm redundant? Dolphin, either you have no idea what that means or you think that is one of those things that does not apply to you. Do you have any idea of how much you have used cheap Chicom crap here? You are a broken record, repeating the same basic post over and over. You can't get past that and have the temerity to tell us how you objectively evaluate glass. I think you have zero ability to objectively evaluate anything that you know up front is Chinese, that just ain't happening as far as I can see. In the optics evaluation arena, your blinders are getting in your way.

The Allbinos site is not news to anybody who has an optics hobby. There are some technical dificulties there that have been hashed out in other optics forums, which if you were there, you'd know about too. There is a reason why it is not more widely quoted, although it can indeed be a useful reference.

Since I stand accused of redundancy, let me repeat myself, I do not like "Made in China" any more than you do. There, I will now cease being redundant and stop repeating myself.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Dolphin

Because it has "Olympus" on it would be my guess. Not exactly a name synonymous with hunting IMO. Is there any track record of durability or performance with hunters? The Burris Signature Select is fantastic, but I've never seen one being used in the field either.

Very true, Olympus is not a brand normally sold at sporting goods stores or big internet gun related web stores and therefore the average hunter is not going to think to look for a pair. As far a durability, they should be just a durable as any other roof prism binocular as they are a very well constructed instrument with a solid feel that exudes precision as was found by the www.allbinos.com team and I see no reason that Olympus would build them to be a delicate piece. I searched them out because of my association with their photographic equipment dating back to the OM series of SLR cameras. I took a chance and I bought them sight unseen and got lucky. I have used them bear hunting many times on the coast of NC to include in the pouring rain and they have not failed me yet.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't like the idea of my purchases supporting a country who views us as their enemy either. Since my career is in manufacturing, I especially don't like the wholesale outsourcing of our manufacturing and the associated gradual loss of domestic manufacturing know-how that goes with it.

However, I don't think it's possible to totally avoid buying Chinese made stuff. I can tell you first-hand that the "made in ______" labels don't mean a whole lot. Quite often, they only mean final assembly occurred in the stated country, and has no bearing on the origin of parts content.

I would bet any amount of money that the glass in a high % of the "made in Japan" optics comes from suppliers in China. If you really break it down to include small parts like fasteners, o-rings, springs, I'm almost certain the majority of that stuff comes from China as well. Then, you have the accessories that come with the optics -- cases, neck straps, lens covers, etc. The majority of those items are, in fact, made in China.

There are very few optics companies who make everything in-house, and all of those are in Germany and Austria. Even the German and Austrian optics companies outsource some components of their products (if not entire product lines), and some of those outsourced parts undoubtedly come from China.

Bottom line... it might make you feel better to buy products that don't have a "made in China" label, but that doesn't mean your purchase isn't still directly supporting Chinese companies.

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dude:

So then what is your recommendation for an optic for under
$300.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wow.... thats about all I can say....wow....

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Dude:

So then what is your recommendation for an optic for under
$300.

Zen Ray ED 8X43...not the newer ED2, which exceeds the $300 limit.

Or, I'd get a used Zen ED2 8X43.

You might also be able to find a used or demo Swift Audubon 8.5X44 for $300.

I'm sure there are probably some decent porro prism binos for $300 or less. But I'm not a fan of the porro form factor, so I'm not up on current porro models and can't make a recommendation there.

Ted
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by RifleDude
I don't like the idea of my purchases supporting a country who views us as their enemy either. Since my career is in manufacturing, I especially don't like the wholesale outsourcing of our manufacturing and the associated gradual loss of domestic manufacturing know-how that goes with it.

However, I don't think it's possible to totally avoid buying Chinese made stuff. I can tell you first-hand that the "made in ______" labels don't mean a whole lot. Quite often, they only mean final assembly occurred in the stated country, and has no bearing on the origin of parts content.

I would bet any amount of money that the glass in a high % of the "made in Japan" optics comes from suppliers in China. If you really break it down to include small parts like fasteners, o-rings, springs, I'm almost certain the majority of that stuff comes from China as well. Then, you have the accessories that come with the optics -- cases, neck straps, lens covers, etc. The majority of those items are, in fact, made in China.

There are very few optics companies who make everything in-house, and all of those are in Germany and Austria. Even the German and Austrian optics companies outsource some components of their products (if not entire product lines), and some of those outsourced parts undoubtedly come from China.

Bottom line... it might make you feel better to buy products that don't have a "made in China" label, but that doesn't mean your purchase isn't still directly supporting Chinese companies.

Rifledude you are entirely correct that a lot of components that go into the manufacturing of an optic are sourced from China and unfortunately that is unavoidable. Very small pieces that are made in high volumes can be made at very low costs and when purchasing very from these makers cost saving can be made. I do not like that part either. But, at least when an optic is assembled in Japan or the USA I can be assured that a large percentage of the cost of the product is not going to a Communist country and that quality control issues are not at the usual low level, on average, found in China. I know a previous poster as mentioned my redundancy on this issue, but at some point someone has to take a stand and like I said, until we make a concerted effort to avoid as many Chinese made/assembled products as possible, then they will continue to grow and erode our economy and that of other non-communist nations and further erode our chance to produce quality optical products on a level playing field.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought my dad these for fathers day.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Optics/Binoculars|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104217480/Redfield174-Rebel8482-Binoculars/720962.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-optics-binoculars%2F_%2FN-1100245%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104217480%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104752080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104752080%3Bcat104217480

I've been VERY impressed with them The glass is very clear. I'm actually going to get some for myself. $150 and they are worth every penny.

"Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em."
Ted Nugent, rock star.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I was research a pair of Leupold Pinnacle binoculars, then came across the Zen-ray ZRS model. How is ZRS HD? I am mainly looking for clarity at 100-150 yards

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Was fortunate enough to spend and entire week with almost the complete Zen-Ray line, at the end of the week about all I could say was "WOW" very impressive

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,573
Posts18,473,304
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.