Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
It's John Barsness's book, "The Hunter's Book of the Elk."
Has some really dramatic pictures of them as well. Those were taken by Michael Francis.
It isn't a "how to sneak up on an elk" book. It assumes the hunter knows how to hunt.
It isn't a "rifles and cartriages for elk" book. There are lots of other books for that and, of course, this site has lots of experienced elk hunters who can answer those questions.
This book tells you what being an elk is like. How they live. What they deal with and how they deal with these issues. Including hunters.
It is done alot like some of "The Deer of North Amercia" by LaRue. He takes you through a year in the life of an elk, particularly bulls, to see how they live.... and die.
Compared to what we spend on elk hunting, this is the best bargain I've ever seen. E

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I second your assertion....great book. I got him to autograph a copy to me and read it cover to cover. It really covers a lot of info regarding elk...from the elk's point of view....like you said.."what being an elk is like".

Take care and have a great fall.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, much as I enjoy reading J.B.'s work, I'll have to disagree with you. Best elk books ever written (a series) are the Elk Hunter and Elk Tactics by Don Laubach. Don lives in Gardiner Montana and it's obvious from reading his books that he really knows elk. The history of elk hunting in the Gardiner area, that he tells in his books make for a fascinating read.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't read JB's book, but I used to send Laubach's Elk Hunter to all my clients so they would really know what to expect. It's the best I've ever read, and one I still recommend.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Every year I just get closer. But so fore it is a tier jerker.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Don's books are great!

Mine was written for a very different purpose. The North American Hunting Club decided to publish a series of books about the biology of different big game animals, all focused on how that knowledge might help a hunter. The series was suggested by Mike Francis, a superb photographer. Each book assigned to a different writer, with Mike' photos illustrating each volume.

A few of the people that purchased my book have mentioned that it's a good complement to Don's book. There are a number of very good elk-hunting books out there, and I'm glad that so many people have liked the Francis/Barsness edition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got Dons' elk video using a diaphram call. Lot of close encounters. The other great series of books/videos was from Mike Lapinski.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/22/11.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Sam Curtis,wrote a very good book on elk hunting,I have read the book,but the name of it escapes me right now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sam's was "The Complete Book of Elk Hunting" It's a good read but I'm still voting for Laubach's "The Elk Hunter"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.