B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by BobinNH
.I found new respect for the 264 Win Mag that day grin
He he he he. grin

Tom: I gotta admit I don't know what the hell you'd feed a 270 to get to 1200 yards.... grin......

But I wouldn't squeeze a 264 into a light 22" barreled sporter either.....that said I did like John's rifle wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like a great time! Yet another of why I need to move back west.

Edit: for the LR gurus, how does a 6.5-284 shoot out to 1k in hunting conditions?

Last edited by prm; 05/02/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

One thing we all agreed on after day one was we would all limit our shots to about 500 meters in a hunting situation with that kind of wind.

That is for sure Pat ! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a hoot! Hope the weathers better for the next go around

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by prm
Looks like a great time! Yet another of why I need to move back west.

Edit: for the LR gurus, how does a 6.5-284 shoot out to 1k in hunting conditions?

My buddy has one and they are super accurate, not a barrel friendly round, but for a hunting round it should last a good while, one of the better 1000 yard cartridges!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
My lightweight GAP .308 shot spot on at 618 yards on a steel skunk target(155 scenars at 2950fps). It weighs 7.5 pounds.

We shot my three different .308's and all three shot as well as anything did out to that range(618)...no one will disagree with that. Even out to 830 yards it hung right in there. We had another steel target the size of a kill zone on an elk at 960 yards. It was there you could really see the higher BC bullets out shine the .308...especially in that high wind.

One thing we all agreed on after day one was we would all limit our shots to about 500 meters in a hunting situation with that kind of wind.

I wish it would have worked for me to come...I could have used a good lesson on wind shooting.

It doesn't really matter but I wonder how a 7-08 would have done as compared to the .308's? I had hoped to have mine done and maybe make it to the shoot but too many other things did not come together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just got back from the drive down from Montana.

First,

Hats off to Obama for uncaging a hard bunch of DevGrp shooters to give Osama Bin Laden the much deserved round to face he earned. I had to get that out.

Okay.

What a fun time in Glasgow.

I really have to take my hat off to Scenarshooter for putting this together. Shout out to the other guys who helped as everything was done when I got there except the shooting.

Scott, Jamie, Chip, Don, Allen, and Russell all helped and they to get my thanks. To set up steel targets from 300yds to 1790yds is a big undertaking. Just finding a good place to do this kind of shooting is hard at a level most will never understand.

Here are some pictures from day 2. The wind dropped off but if anything the �conditions� were worse. The rain and snow got the ground wet and made the really long stuff a real guessing game. We still put a major hurt (and I do mean major) on the steel out to 1000yds but the beyond 1000 was kind of pointless. Give me dry ground and high wind any day for really long range shooting on steel targets.

Here is a coyote�s worst nightmare. We make movies about Freddy Kruger and Jason from the Halloween Series, but if coyotes made horror movies here are 2 of the stars. Scenarshooter and �Allen�. Waiting for the crap to clear. I am hiding in my truck.
[Linked Image]

Seems to be some snow on the bench. What the heck, we just shot from the ground and got our nads wet.
[Linked Image]

A picture down range on day 2. It can�t snow forever in May, right?? Al Gore promised me some global warming and I am wondering where and when I will get warm??
[Linked Image]

Scenarshooter and I shot for the �24hrcampfire World Champion Crappy Weather Long Range Steel Hits only Count Championship� on this piece of steel. It is plain to see who won???? We each fired 6 rounds. Do you want to be an elk around 1000 yds even in �bad conditions�???
[Linked Image]

Lots of fun but as others have said you have to shoot in crap conditions to see how you will perform in crap conditions.

Hint, not any where as well as you did on the range when the sun was shining and it was still.

Side Note:
Seemed to be a distinct lack of guys from Paradise Alaska and guys shooting "Montuckeys" . Who would have imagined?? laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slg888
My truck is in the shop, can somebody pick me up in West Palm Beach on the way to Montana?

You cheap bastard, buy a Ford and you can go where ever you want.

I suppose you still live under that overpass so I will pick you up the next time we get together for a shoot. Make sure you have it cleared with your parole officer this time, OK.

I also don�t think comments about my color coordinated outfit or sunburn are really appropriate in this thread. You should see the cool jump suit I have that matches my pink AR-15.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well chit if yah wanted a Montuckey i woulda tried harder to find someone to go over with me and hauled the 260 grin never even tried to shoot at those ranges with mine though and doubt my hunting loads would be that good for 1000 yard plus shooting as what i have loaded are corelokts at the moment crazy

my kinda hunting is alot of sneaking seeing how close i can get and prefer not to pack a 10 pound all up rifle........but thats just my personal preference, dont care how anyone else hunts...think im gonna go kick my wife in the arse for bailing on me Saturday morning...sounds like i coulda learned a hell of alot....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My "wimpy" little .308 barely removed the red paint on that 1000 yarder....thats right, RED paint.....grin!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK, I admit that upper left hand corner hit is also mine....laffin!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Sendero_man
you are welcome. cool

Cinch and I are thinking of putting on a similar shoot later this summer. We will do some talking and figure out the possible location. Somewhere here in NE Wyoming though.

Hope to make it happen and maybe we can make the Montana and Wyoming shoots an annual event. cool

Count me in. When and where?

Brad
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes the hit in the red is Scenarshooters. Bastird got all serious and schit when I was giving him some crap between shots.

Stop and think about that for a second.

308 with the silly little 155gr at give or take 1000yds in totally schit conditions.

Seems maybe the shooter is more than the cartridge. Might be a good reason for all of us to practice more and worry about �magic cartridges� less.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The .308 I was using for our little shoot off is also my heaviest at 15+ pounds, complete with a 5-25 S&B. John was shooting his sub 10 pound .243 with a lot less scope. My hat is off to him...he knows how to shoot. It wont be the last time we get together and burn some powder...but I'll never "break" when he quizzes me down on where I hunt bears in Wyoming.....grin!

Last edited by scenarshooter; 05/02/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha

I stopped at a buddies on the way down and we have determined where you hunt bears in my home state. (And kill big Bears)

Secret is out and you will feel better just telling me, trust me Pat, you will feel better coming clean. (Western Wyoming is not an acceptable answer)

You�re Buddy John (Who is just looking out for you) laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow, John Burns hitting the steel at 1790 yards! Did the .338 or .375 ever touch the steel at 1790?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pat got the 338 to hit at 1790. We took a couple shots with the 375, but never connected. But in fairness, that was when the wind was at its worst and it was really fruitless to burn up that expensive ammo trying. We only put about 50 rounds downrange with the 375 all weekend.

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a hit with my 6mm Crusader too grin don't forget about little old me... Laffin'

Cinch is in the background digging out bullets from the rounds that barely missed.

found one of 105 amaxes in the dirt right in front of the steel.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sendero_man; 05/03/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by slg888
My truck is in the shop, can somebody pick me up in West Palm Beach on the way to Montana?

I suppose you still live under that overpass so I will pick you up the next time we get together for a shoot. Make sure you have it cleared with your parole officer this time, OK.

John, you've got it wrong - Stoney lives in a van, down by the river. laugh

Looks like a good time was had by all. Very cool to see the serious hardware on display in some of the picts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like fun even with the weather, at first I thought maybe Cinch was making a dirt hole set back there..

Pat, I'd say you did real well for putting this together for the first time. Great turnout with a bunch of great guys!

Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,569 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,482
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.