Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Butch did Mike pee in your Cherrios or something? This is the second time recently you have ridiculed him and his methods. I dont own one of his rifles and readily admit I initially called BS, especially shooting factory ammo. Then I saw them shoot and walked away a bit more educated about the whole thing.

Why not hunt down an owner of one in your area and put some rounds through it yourself?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Why don't you point out in this thread where I ridiculed him. The questions that folks have is about the measurments he claims. Evidently you are not familiar with machining tolerances and measuring in the real world.I do question in my own mind, Mike's shooting claims. I did not state anywhere that he didn't build a decent rifle.
Butch

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Butch your absolutley right about not ridiculing him in this thread as well as my lack of experience in machining tolerances and measuring to that level. I guess when I see you posting a link to your benchrest.com thread that is a link to a snipercentral thread, it would appear your just trying to rock the boat.

Not that long ago you made it pretty clear in the thread here about 1/4moa guarantees how you felt about his work and claims. Someone like Mike Miller addresses owning a rifle and seeing a lot more of them they I have and you chose to argue with him and his experinces as well. I will not sit here and tell you what the measurements actually are or are not, I will simply state that what I have seen is that they are 1/4moa rifles.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe this is a good post on this subject from The Practical Machinest.

Hello,
To say that this thread, has been thought provoking, would be an under-statement. Can a person, purchase an indicator, with graduations of .00005"?
Yes. But in all of my 45 years of building precision tooling, the standard rule,
has always been that the measuring instruments, must be able to read to 10%, of the required accuracy. Now, to realize true, verifiable, accuracy, to
+/-.00005", you need another 0, after the decimal point.
I would be willing to state that the spindle bearings, of even a new, CNC turning center, would have more clearance, than that. A part turned, or bored
on most engine lathes, is not truely round, but close enough for the average
requirements.
The return on investment(ROI), has to enter this discussion, at some point.
The old statement, that declares, "We can do anything, the impossible, just takes longer.", might fit this situation. What price for perfection, that does not return a benefit, equal to the required investment?
What Kreiger says, may be different, than what can be proven, in a clean room environment.
Keep thinking,
Bob

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Actually I have visited with Mike Miller both with PMs and phone. I know his reputation as a shooter and He is a very nice guy.
Butch

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.