Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is the furriest damn badger I have ever seen. You gotta get him stuffed Brad.

Gold fur to boot, must be one of Turner's badgers.....grin

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Last week I fixed a bunch of snow breaks in some barb wire fence. Walked up to a bad spot and here was a fresh badger hole about 6 feet away.

Circled and kept an eye out of that bastard....grin

Plan was to whack him with the fence stretcher and take off runnin'.

Good plan, Sam. Sounds a lot like "Hold my beer and watch this" with similsr results. Video when it happens, please.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by rattler
things are doing ok here but i dont farm like Sam so what works for me doesnt necessarily work for him.....im just waiting for the river to slow down enough to give fishing a serious start, likely by next weekend or a lil after, Sam has more worries than i do with our spring weather.....

River slow down? If you have burbot in it, fishing is hot when you have to reel in to save your tackle from the ice flows coming down. Or so I learned on the Missouri and Knife Rivers in NoDak as a boy. Didn't get out (yet anyway) to nail any of those ugly SOB's on the Lower Noatak this spring, and probably won't, but next year.... Them things is good eating!

That is indeed a unique-looking Badge. I'd have it mounted...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would at least have a rug made, I was debating a life size mount or a rug...the rug won! You have a very unique looking badger! Congrats!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
things are doing ok here but i dont farm like Sam so what works for me doesnt necessarily work for him.....im just waiting for the river to slow down enough to give fishing a serious start, likely by next weekend or a lil after, Sam has more worries than i do with our spring weather.....

River slow down? If you have burbot in it, fishing is hot when you have to reel in to save your tackle from the ice flows coming down. Or so I learned on the Missouri and Knife Rivers in NoDak as a boy. Didn't get out (yet anyway) to nail any of those ugly SOB's on the Lower Noatak this spring, and probably won't, but next year.... Them things is good eating!

That is indeed a unique-looking Badge. I'd have it mounted...

i know that but my new fishing spot(this one does not require sliding down a 25 foot near vertical bank) is on a bit of a flat making shore fishing interesting until it drops some....ice has been gone for several weeks, its just high due to melt now as scenershooter's is upstream from me all his flood waters come my direction....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=Brad]Never seen one this color... don't normally shoot them but he was tearing up a prized pasture:
If he was tearing up a pasture, he was after p-dogs that will do a lot more damage than a badger ever could. Badgers only dig holes. They don't eat grass.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have only ever seen 2 live badgers in my life... About 30 road killed but only seen two. One was on a road with my grandpa, and I called the other one in.

They sure are pretty bastids and tough as nails. I had to pop this one twice with my 22-250. Very pretty in December/Janurary here in the desert (and make an awesome rug too!)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rug Casey!

Looks to be about average size for our Montana bruins taken...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I though you had somehow run across one of these:

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Pero, that was a big ole female for out here. Interesting to watch her come in. As soon as I put down the call to get the rifle ready she turned around to leave.

BTW, that rug was done by our own Rost495

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mathman: Yes, he had me going with the subject line too. Couldn't envision a true honey badger turning up in the wild.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Mathman: Yes, he had me going with the subject line too. Couldn't envision a true honey badger turning up in the wild.

At least "the wild" outside of Africa.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Used to release the ones that weren't prime. Put a cable around their neck and let them out of the trap and marched em over to the tailgate, got up on it and let em out. They would usually run about 50 feet, turn and snarl at you as if to say they can't be intimidated. They do have one of the prettiest of all furs, IMO, tough pelt too.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I saw a honey badger on some nature show do battle with a hollow log full of killer bees. It didn't quit until it ran off the bees and got the honey. True hardass attitude!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[quote=Brad]Never seen one this color... don't normally shoot them but he was tearing up a prized pasture:
If he was tearing up a pasture, he was after p-dogs that will do a lot more damage than a badger ever could. Badgers only dig holes. They don't eat grass.

Thanks for stating the obvious. cool

If you'd read we shot gophers as well... actually in the 100's as well as two other Badgers.

β€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Brad, you got it right when you said they can tear the hell out of a pasture...here's one I trapped on a big ranch near Ringling, Montana back in the mid 80's. The guy that owned this place gave me coyote trapping permission, only if I promised to trap as many badgers as I could first....it was worth it and by the end of February I had 28 badgers and 81 coyotes.

[Linked Image]

I did more shoveling the first couple weeks than setting traps...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Always amazed me how they could dig a stadium and seldom dig themselves out.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff there Pat!

β€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
dig a stadium

That's a great way to put it.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
evil [bleep].....tend to leave them alone unless someone wants them out of their cow pasture......or the mean SOB's tree me in the back of my truck.....

Oh, there's SO a story there...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.