Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's really funny!

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swampman700
That's really funny!

That isn't fiction. 700 cannot run with a T3. Maybe if you spend 1k on a new barrel and blueprint you might might might come close.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And here is another Swamp hijack...

To the poster: I don't own a Tikka T3, but your post makes me want to go get one and see what it is capable of. Can't be any worse than the last 700 I worked on for 3 months before it would finally shoot MOA.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More fiction...

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
They can do amazing things with plastic these days.
Yeah, Remingtons the champ when it comes to making guns out of plastic. In fact they were a pioneer in making one almost completely of plastic with their junk nylon 66/76/77 series rimfires. Then it was on to such as plastic vent ribs, trigger guards,floor plates, sights, barrel shrouds and magazines on the 600,660, 788, 580/581/582/591/592, 552 viper and 597. Oh and lets not forget the plastic action port cover on the 7600, the plastic trigger guard/fire control unit on the 870 express and the mostly plastic junk 710 and 770. Yeah, Remington's a winner alright ! Pull your head out of your a$$ swampy, it's [bleep]' dark in there !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They can do amazing things with plastic these days.

Alright Swampy, here is a challenge for you. You bring the out of the box 700 of your choice up to the range and shoot it against my out of the box Tikka T3 at any range and target of your choice.

If your 700 out shoots or even shoots as good as my Tikka. I will give you the Tikka plus repay the purchase price of your 700.

Put up or shut up.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hillbillybear - I'll pick you up and pay the gas to get there and watch. I'd love to see a Rem to Tikka match in the same caliber. And if through some miracle that Rem outshoots the Tikka - I'll buy the Tikka back from Swampy on the spot!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
Hillbillybear - I'll pick you up and pay the gas to get there and watch. I'd love to see a Rem to Tikka match in the same caliber. And if through some miracle that Rem outshoots the Tikka - I'll buy the Tikka back from Swampy on the spot!

Its a deal but methinks Swampy won't rise to the challenge grin

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't give $10.00 for one, and I wouldn't cross the street to shoot against one. It may be accurate but it's plastic.

A plastic pistol is one thing, but a plastic deer rifle is something else. Just buy a Remington 710 they are highly accurate....and plastic......

Here's a good review...

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-211246.html

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't give $10.00 for one, and I wouldn't cross the street to shoot against one. It may be accurate but it's plastic.

A plastic pistol is one thing, but a plastic deer rifle is something else. Just buy a Remington 710 they are highly accurate....and plastic......

Here's a good review...

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-211246.html

About the response I expected. Face it, you are a know-nothing, do-nothing azzhat who just likes to troll the Internet spreading your Dumbphuckery.

Citing a Chuck Hawks, another Internet Dumphuck of the first order, review is not exactly what I call cutting edge or compelling evidence.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 05/07/11.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cheap plastic rifles are remarkable. They can even be accurate as you have shown.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cheap plastic rifles are remarkable. They can even be accurate as you have shown.

You decry the "plastic rifles." Have you ever tried one? I have tried many of the allegedly far superior blue steel and walnut guns and they are fine rifles but not nearly as practical for my purposes in the field.

For example, I have a full custom .300 H&H that was built around 1940. Its on a 1917 Enfield action that has all sorts of gunsmithing work done to it to slick it up. It has a 26 inch high polish blue barrel and a nice walnut stock. It will shoot around 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards. It also weighs 11 pounds field ready.

Conversely, this Tikka .243 weighs 7.25lbs field ready, shoots better at all distances, and the stainless steel barreled action and synthetic stock are near impervious to all weather conditions. The 22 inch barrel is also a lot handier in a thicket.

Its just a better mousetrap for the steep mountain ridges I hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The reason many gunmakers and other manufacturers are incorporating more "plastic" into their designs is because that modern composite materials are often STRONGER than steel or other metals. In addition, these modern composites are less likely to have integrity issues when exposed to elements such as moisture or other things like sodium.

Aircraft manufacturers and manufacturers of armored military vehicles are trading metal for composites- often composites re-inforced by ceramic- to lighten and strengthen them.

Education on such things is paramount. Polymers can cheapen a product, but they can often make sense and add value when used effectively.

I'm going to look into a T3. Sounds like their barrels are made of the right metal and machined with care.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've had a Tikka model 595 chambered in .243 and a 695 chambered in .30-06 for 11 years now. Both are blued with walnut stocks and the only synthetic parts are the floorplate/tiggerguard unit, magazine and bolt shroud. These two rifles are absolutely, without doubt the most consistently accurate factory rifles I've ever owned. I haven't been able to find a factory load or handload that won't go into less than an inch in the .243 and good hanloads average in the .3's and .4's. The worst factorty loads in the .30-06 have hovered right at 1 1/4" but handlods with several different bullet weights print in the .5's and .6's and neither rifle required any dickin' around with bedding, recrowning, trigger work or replacement to get there. All I did was seal the wood up good in the checkering/inletting/under the buttplate and mount scopes on them and that was it. I've hunted these rifles alot over the years and neither has ever shifted point of impact or had anything break. In fact, both feed and function to perfection and are smoother in operation than any other rifle I've ever owned. I wouldn't trade either for anything Remington ever made period.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 what Blackheart said.....same story except mine is a Tikka model 695 in 270 Win. Easily one the most accurate and dependable rifles that I own.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Young fella that I hunt with and shoot with got a T3 in .270 for Christmas.

We've got an inexpensive 4X on it that's remarkably clear.

Tonight I had a few minutes b4 it was totally dark, actually used the lights of the F150 to help see the targ.

I had with me 3 groups of 140 Burgers to give a go. IMR 4831 went into .75", H4831 went into .89" and R17 went .59".

The triggers a bit rough but it still shoots.

A gun that averages .74" with 3 groups at dark in only the 2nd time to the ranges is good enough for me.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother used to be a gunsmith at a Beretta/Tikka/Sako/Remington warranty shop. He had one .25-06 T-3 come in that the guy had shot a .308 round through. He had to pick out pieces of brass from the bolt face that had been pressed in by the pressure that built up. Supposedly, the guy had actually hit the paper target at 100 yards with a very long re-sized bullet!

He replaced the extractor and the gun headspaced and worked just fine. There was another one with a similar story - wrong round in the gun. I am not as sure of the story on this one, but I think it was some form of larger diameter, shorter mag shot in a 7mm Rem. Same result - replaced the blown extractor and the gun worked fine. No barrel bulges, etc. In both cases, it was a result of shooting 2 different caliber rifles and leaving the ammo on the bench and not paying attention when grabbing a round.

That is one reason my brother owns 2 Tikkas and so do I. Accuracy and good triggers right out of the box are 2 more.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Young fella that I hunt with and shoot with got a T3 in .270 for Christmas.

We've got an inexpensive 4X on it that's remarkably clear.

Tonight I had a few minutes b4 it was totally dark, actually used the lights of the F150 to help see the targ.

I had with me 3 groups of 140 Burgers to give a go. IMR 4831 went into .75", H4831 went into .89" and R17 went .59".

The triggers a bit rough but it still shoots.

A gun that averages .74" with 3 groups at dark in only the 2nd time to the ranges is good enough for me.

Dober

That makes me want one in .270 grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calif. Hunter
My brother used to be a gunsmith at a Beretta/Tikka/Sako/Remington warranty shop. He had one .25-06 T-3 come in that the guy had shot a .308 round through. He had to pick out pieces of brass from the bolt face that had been pressed in by the pressure that built up. Supposedly, the guy had actually hit the paper target at 100 yards with a very long re-sized bullet!

He replaced the extractor and the gun headspaced and worked just fine. There was another one with a similar story - wrong round in the gun. I am not as sure of the story on this one, but I think it was some form of larger diameter, shorter mag shot in a 7mm Rem. Same result - replaced the blown extractor and the gun worked fine. No barrel bulges, etc. In both cases, it was a result of shooting 2 different caliber rifles and leaving the ammo on the bench and not paying attention when grabbing a round.

That is one reason my brother owns 2 Tikkas and so do I. Accuracy and good triggers right out of the box are 2 more.

Accurate and strong and tough. What's not to like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's not to like

Plastic

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,873 guests, and 1,426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,974
Posts18,480,751
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.