Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I just picked up a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. I have been wanting one for a long time and finally found what looks to be a nice one. I have plenty of .30 Carbine ammo to feed my several M1 Carbines but do wonder if I should load up some rounds specifically for the revolver. I would think that a 7.5 inch barrel on a revolver would call for a different load than that which works best in a rifle. I know Hornady Manuals have .30 Carbine listed in the handgun section but seem to remember that it was mainly for TC shooters. Any suggestions, not necessarily specific loads, concerning reloading for the revolver are welcome.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whatever loads you shoot in it, wear ear plugs AND muffs - always! These things have to hold some sort of record for loud. Neat and fun guns, though.

A buddy of mine ruined his when, on a bet from a local Sherrif that it would not penetrate as well as his new S&W 41 Magnum (dating myslef a bit here, eh?) He loaded a case FULL of Bullseye under a solid stell ball bearing. Traded himself the cost of a new cylinder for a case of beer and the satisfaction of winning a bet with a loud mouthed Sherrif.

Always thought the 110gr plastic tipped varmint style bullets and the 110gr TSX would be fun to try next time I come into one of these. Neither were out there when I last had one. Fun pistola's, for sure. Fast and flat by revolver standards.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have to go look it up but the Hornady 90 grain bullet made for the 7.62x25 with H110 powder shoots great and expands well. I've also used the Speer 100 grain "Plinker" and the 110 grain .308 Varmint.

Have not loaded much for the gun...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by safariman
Whatever loads you shoot in it, wear ear plugs AND muffs - always! These things have to hold some sort of record for loud. Neat and fun guns, though.

A buddy of mine ruined his when, on a bet from a local Sherrif that it would not penetrate as well as his new S&W 41 Magnum (dating myslef a bit here, eh?) He loaded a case FULL of Bullseye under a solid stell ball bearing. Traded himself the cost of a new cylinder for a case of beer and the satisfaction of winning a bet with a loud mouthed Sherrif.

Always thought the 110gr plastic tipped varmint style bullets and the 110gr TSX would be fun to try next time I come into one of these. Neither were out there when I last had one. Fun pistola's, for sure. Fast and flat by revolver standards.
Wow. Educational story. Thanks for sharing. Bullseye must account for like 3/4 of the blowups extant.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..I think you are right.... That powder was made just for wadcutter ammo...nice deep seated bullet that takes up most of the powder space.

Between the possibility of a double charge or not enough powder in the case casing a flashover I never liked the stuff... Think I bought one can back in the 1970s and that was the end for me.

I like to use a powder that fills at least 1/2 the case with a normal charge...that way if I screw up and double charge a case the bullet won't seat or the powder spills and I can see the problem...

Bob

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RJM
..I think you are right.... That powder was made just for wadcutter ammo...nice deep seated bullet that takes up most of the powder space.

Between the possibility of a double charge or not enough powder in the case casing a flashover I never liked the stuff... Think I bought one can back in the 1970s and that was the end for me.

I like to use a powder that fills at least 1/2 the case with a normal charge...that way if I screw up and double charge a case the bullet won't seat or the powder spills and I can see the problem...

Bob

I'm working on using up what should be my last can of it right now. Stuff takes a long time to use up though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I worked up a load using the 110 VMAX for my .30Carbine blackhawk. I know it was H110, but I can't recall more I haven't messed with it for over a year. I will try and find the notes tonight when I get home.

It shot great and was really flat. I was zeroed for 200 yards and had little trouble ringing steel with it at 300.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I have heard several comments about how loud it is. I have not yet shot it so I don't know. I would think that loads intended for a longer barrel would have a large blast from unburned powder. Couldn't the use of powder regularly used in handguns reduce the blast? (That being said, I often use H110 in .30 Carbine loads for my rifles.) Would it be dangerous to look at 32-20 data in order to get a fair idea about a starting point for working up a load with fast-burning powder that would do well in a revolver?

I noticed the owner's manual advised against using lead bullets in a .30 Carbine Blackhawk due to lead shaving on the shoulder of the chamber. Have any of you had a problem with this?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For whatever reason, and I am sure there is one, the smaller the bore the higher the frequency of the blast. The same happens with the .22 Jet in the S&W M53. It uses less powder than a .357 Magnum but the blast is just more....

Once can use most any pistol powder for mid-range loads...just don't try for Hot or you will end up sticking cases.

As to 32-20 load data...here is something of interest on the subject.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=424769&sid=a06a64d45b208a98b69cc439c224e852

Bob

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
RJM, That is an interesting thread. Thanks. I have also noticed that the smaller bores seem to be louder than the big ones if the loads are similar. A full power .357 Magnum seems sharper and louder to me than does a full power .44 Magnum.

I have no experience with the really humongous handgun rounds but assume they would be quite loud even if they have large bores. Someone was shooting a monster revolver the other day at the range that was louder than any handgun I have ever heard. Flames were coming out all over the place and the recoil was setting him back a step or two each time he fired.

I will try the .30 Carbine Friday for the first time. I will certainly double up on the hearing protection.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found my load data, and I was incorrect. It was not H110 that I was running with the 110gr VMAX it was in fact Viht N110
Giving 1900fps.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I shot some 110 grain JSP behind 10.0 grains of 2400 today and got around 1,100 f/s with a rather pleasant blast. Plugs and muffs, as suggested, sure helped. I also tried some of my rifle loads with max charges of H110. They were loud and shot a large fire ball. They were going around 1,300 f/s. I think I am going to enjoy this revolver.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
H110 powder is hard to beat but in the Handgun and the 30 MI round you had better wear hearing protection because this combination will defiantly ring the ears. I have owned a couple and they are loud.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have been shooting 115gr. hard cast 32-20 bullets resized to .309 over 4.8 gr. Unique @ 987fps. and haven't had any problem with lead shaving in my Blackhawk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I should note the 1900fps was longer contender barrel.

I never chrono'd the load from my blackhawk, but would expect it would have been 1400fps or around there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,533
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.