Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I would find it hard to buy a stock that cost more than my gun...

Get rid of those cheap Rem 700s and spend the money to get a Winchester M70. Then you will have a rifle worth putting a McMillan on.

INCOMING!!! grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bloodworks
Still looking for one that has knowledgeable employees regarding anything not [bleep] "tactical."

LMAO! That is sooooooooo money.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt

Get rid of those cheap Rem 700s and spend the money to get a Winchester M70. Then you will have a rifle worth putting a McMillan on.

INCOMING!!! grin

You're preaching to the choir...

A pre-64 custom 6.5-284 is my main deer rifle. An Ed Brown Damara in .300 Win Mag is my other "go to" rifle. My 700's have custom barrels in varmint calibers.

Hope ole Swampy doesn't see what you just said about 700's...

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/11/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Swampy may favor Remingtons, but he knows the truth when he sees it. He just likes Remingtons because he's "frugal".
grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
because he's "frugal".
grin

I guess that's one of the kinder things I've heard spoken over Swampy...

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
He's a very intelligent man; he just understands that others are intimidated by his knowledge so he tries to not start controversial exchanges. Very modest.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JMR40
There are 3 reasons to choose a synthetic stock.

Greater strength
Better consistency in changing environmental conditions.
Weight reduction.

Even the cheapest tupperware stocks will meet the first two criteria. When choosing an aftermarket stock it really comes down to weight, at least for me. I have no interest in any stock with a metal block molded into the stock to give it strength. If I want a stock that heavy I'll save even more money and go with laminated wood. If Stockade and B&C were truly building a good stock, they wouldn't need the aluminum blocks in them.

I've had good luck with High-Tech, Brown Precision and McMillan. McMillan ain't the cheapest, but they do offer a good stock that meets my criteria. They offer the most options, and in my experience are the one most likely to bolt right on the gun out of the box with the fewest problems.

WOW you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
This is a one-man shop, and took my friend for a dummy ,which he is when it comes to reloading. He told him that his rifle would "blow up" eventually, and that he needed a big company to sue when it did. I guess he wanted to sell him some factory ammo...whatever.

Sounds like your buddy ran into a real genius behind the gun counter.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Or an ingenious ammo salesman.....

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
He's a very intelligent man; he just understands that others are intimidated by his knowledge so he tries to not start controversial exchanges. Very modest.

Bulletbutt,

That's a good one...!

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
whistle

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
Originally Posted by JMR40
There are 3 reasons to choose a synthetic stock.

Greater strength
Better consistency in changing environmental conditions.
Weight reduction.

Even the cheapest tupperware stocks will meet the first two criteria. When choosing an aftermarket stock it really comes down to weight, at least for me. I have no interest in any stock with a metal block molded into the stock to give it strength. If I want a stock that heavy I'll save even more money and go with laminated wood. If Stockade and B&C were truly building a good stock, they wouldn't need the aluminum blocks in them.

I've had good luck with High-Tech, Brown Precision and McMillan. McMillan ain't the cheapest, but they do offer a good stock that meets my criteria. They offer the most options, and in my experience are the one most likely to bolt right on the gun out of the box with the fewest problems.

WOW you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about

Been using synthetics for 30 years now. I've owned most all of them. I've got a pretty good idea what works and what don't. I've never said anything was junk, but for my uses I don't want an aftermarket stock unless it reduces the weight of the rifle. Every stock I've ever weighed with an aluminum block in it weighed as much, or more than wood. Often much more. I can't see the logic of spending $200-$300 on a stock that offers me no advantages over the stock that came on my rifle. Stocks such as Brown Precision, High-Tech and McMillan sure ain't cheap, but they have all reduced the weight of the rifles they are on by as much as a full pound with no loss of performance.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Whats' a "Stockade"?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

INCOMING!!! grin

If you want accuracy build a 700 if you want a hunting rifle build a Model 70

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Whats' a "Stockade"?

They are the name of a synthetic stock made by Kevin Rayhill primarily for Savage rifles.

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My hunting weight pre-64 Model 70 in 6.5-284 has shot three shot groups in the teens. Now, I can't always pull it off, but the gun is able. Now, it's wearing a Krieger SS match grade bbl., action blueprinted with Borden's Bumps. It's pillared, torqued, glassed and free floated. But, it's still a M-70, with a few "modifications".

Just messing with you. I know what you're saying. The round bodied 700 is the most popular action for multiple custom applications. And, I have a few of those, too.

I like the M-70 safety. One can retrofit a 700 with the three piece, striker restraining safety. Never heard of a M-70 being fitted with a 700 safety and never heard of a M-70 "trigger lawsuit". So, +1 for the M-70 for a hunting rifle. Although I've never personally seen the 700 clip extractor fail, the controlled feed, large extractor on the M-70 is a confidence builder. It just looks better to me if I'm gunning for something that may want to eat me or stomp me in the ground...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've dealt with Kevin several times in the past. And the he is pretty much as described. You can be on the phone for HOURS.

I've had 2 of his stocks I think? They were OK to Good. But it seemed they were much different than a McMillan.

As a lefty, it's hard to get lefty stuff. The Stockade was available in all models in a lefty.

Honestly, I would like to see McMillan get some competition. Only half the Manners stocks are available in LH.

Having gone the Savage route with multiple rifles, I just can't warm up to them any longer.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Whats' a "Stockade"?

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bea/nsaquam: Thanks....never heard of them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What IS that odd looking bench gun they have pictured on their website? ([b][color:#000099]Stockade Stocks[/color][/b]) It looks to have an externally adjustable scope that sits about a foot above the bore. In fact, it looks rather odd, and I wonder what the application of that rifle might be...?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 450yukon, 264mag, 19 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,889
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.