Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guess I'm not. blush Never was in doubt anyway. grin

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704810504576307192623476856.html

By JUSTIN SCHECK
ALBANY, Tex.�Late last month, Mike Huston crouched in a prickly pear patch. His blood-stained quiver�sewn from the hide of a deer he killed�was full of arrows fashioned from turkey feathers, wild plants and sharpened stones.

Nearby, a half dozen feral hogs grunted through the West Texas dust. When they drew within a few yards, Mr. Huston laid an arrow against a bow of rough wood and deer sinew, pulling it taut. The black boar was oblivious until it heard the thwack of Mr. Huston's bowstring.

Mr. Huston, who goes by "Hawk," is at the forefront of a backward movement in the U.S.: Hunters are increasingly devolving, favoring crude hand-wrought weapons made with ancient methods.

As for high-powered modern guns and pricey carbon-fiber bows? "People are tired of that," says Randy Rifenburgh, a longtime primitive hunter who goes by "Rattlin' Randy" in his hunting-instruction videos. "Technology has made it too easy for the real hunters."

Some use flint-tipped arrows for deer and coyotes, while others fell wild boar and alligators with rudimentary spears. With weapons of his own design, Mr. Huston, 41, has targeted elk and deer and impaled stingrays in the Gulf of Mexico "They taste like scallops," he says.

Interest in the stone-age lifestyle has been growing. In recent years, archaeology buffs started arrowhead-making groups in places like Portland, Ore., and Pasadena, Calif. Other die-hards have adopted meat-heavy "paleo" diets, eating like traditional hunter-gatherers.

While there has long been a cult of hunters who use old-style rifles and bows, "bowhunting has picked up pretty tremendously across the country," says Mike Moore, chief executive of Primitive Archer magazine. The publication's circulation is up 25% over the past five years, to roughly 30,000, he says.

Prehistoric hunts are back partly because technology has made hunting a bit of a yawner, say some of the sport's aficionados. The proliferation of gear like high-powered sniper rifles and "compound bows"�which use carbon fiber, metal wire and a set of pulleys to fling an arrow almost as fast as a bullet�took much of the sport out of hunting, they say.

As a result, more people now want to hunt with "a piece of handcrafted artwork that's functional," says Ted Fry, the owner of Raptor Archery in Hood River, Ore.

Some states are curbing how far hunters may go. Massachusetts only allows spear hunting for eels, carp and sucker fish. Other states prohibit stone-tipped projectiles. In Montana, a state bill to legalize spear hunting died in committee after Gov. Brian Schweitzer in March called it "kooky."

Wayne Pacelle, the president of the Humane Society of the United States, says he worries about both ultra-modern and ultra-primitive hunting methods. High-tech gear, he says, can give the hunter an unfair advantage over prey. On the other hand, he says "archery equipment is very problematic" since animals are sometimes injured but don't die.

Hunters like Perri Smith, a 52-year-old factory worker, say they take care to kill animals quickly. He recounts having "a normal outdoor upbringing" in Danville, Ind., shooting small game with guns.

He later moved on to a 19th-century-type muzzleloader, which requires a hunter to pack old-fashioned gun powder and bullets through the nose of the rifle, and a compound bow.

About five years ago, he took a class on "flint knapping"�using a rock to shape and sharpen the edges of a smaller stone. He made arrowheads and knife blades that he lashed to bone handles.

Mr. Smith in February took one of those knives to Texas, where he chased and killed a wild hog.

Mr. Huston has been using ancient tactics to take wild game since his childhood in Montana, when family friends, one of them a Lakota Indian, taught him to make arrows and stalk game. Recently, he has been working as a car crusher for a steel-recycling company in Texas. In his spare time, he pursues wild hogs with his friend Mr. Rifenburgh. Mr. Huston says he only kills animals for food.

Mr. Rifenburgh is the gamekeeper of the Newell Ranch�a 20,000-acre property near the tiny oil town of Albany, Texas. As part of his job, Mr. Rifenburgh must keep the ranch's deer well-fed. That means controlling the feral hogs that eat deer food. Texas has no hunting limit on nonnative pigs, so the 50-year-old has honed his skills stalking them through the brush.

On a recent Friday evening, Mr. Rifenburgh, dressed in deerskin-fringed camouflage, jumped into his five-seater Toyota pickup with Mr. Huston, Mr. Huston's wife Stacey and their son Tyler, 19. "Let's get going so we can shoot some stuff," Mr. Rifenburgh said.

The hunt began when a pack of pigs came into sight�and well within range of a modern compound bow. But the hogs spooked before they could be reached with the primitive bows shaped by Mr. Rifenburgh.

As dusk approached, they spotted another pack. The hunters crept from the truck. Mr. Huston, throwing a piece of grass into the breeze, said a prayer for a successful hunt, giving thanks to the animals. Then the group stepped over a cactus and crouched under a bush.

Six hogs approached slowly, snorting. Mr. Huston drew back. His arrow flew over a young pig, hitting a large black one in the side. The swine scattered; the hunters sprang up, fanning into the mesquite brush to find the injured animal.

Mr. Rifenburgh spotted the boar in a dry streambed. It ran into the trees. Darkness descending, the men looked into the brush. "There it is," Mr. Rifenburgh said, pointing to a lump about 50 feet in the distance. When the hog took off again, the men drove four more arrows into it.

The men crouched over the felled pig, gutted it and said another prayer before dragging the roughly 150-pound carcass back to the truck to transport it to Mr. Rifenburgh's meat cooler. "It's not pretty, but it's primitive," said Mr. Rifenburgh.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd like to see a video of that! It sure sounds like fun.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The men crouched over the felled pig, gutted it and said another prayer before dragging the roughly 150-pound carcass back to the truck to transport it to Mr. Rifenburgh's meat cooler. "It's not pretty, but it's primitive," said Mr. Rifenburgh.

If he really wanted to go stone age he'd not use a pickup or cooler. Guess it's all where you draw the line

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The guy interviewed Wayne Pacelle for an article on "real hunters?"

Gimme a break. Pacelle believes all hunting should be illegal.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
where can I get me one of them bows he says will throw an arrow near as fast as a bullet?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
where can I get me one of them bows he says will throw an arrow near as fast as a bullet?

Where can I get me a bullet throwing bow?

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tred Barta effect...

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"high-powered sniper rifles" eek

"dressed in deerskin-fringed camouflage"

"old-fashioned gun powder and bullets through the nose of the rifle"

Yep, that's me. I'm a real hunter. laugh laugh laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why not an atlatl? They are legal for hunting in Montana.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt with a crude weapon.....A Ruger all-weather.... grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! What a dumb article.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude

They were made legal here in Pa a couple years ago for deer.

I can understand a fella getting tired of technology and wanting more of a challenge. Hell sometimes I feel like that. But this whole 'you're not a hunter unless you do it like us' thing really rubs a nerve.

Just hunt however you want and enjoy whatever makes you happy.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
A .25 acp lumbers out at about 750 fps (50grain) and bows are obviously 315 fpsish now so there you go. It's a perfectly reasonable statement for that 'real hunter' to make. grin

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heck I just use rocks to kill them with. He is too modern for my tastes using a bow and all... whistle

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by derby_dude

And Missouri. Last season, a young kid killed a doe with one. I think he was the first in the state to do so.
It's something the guys on missouriwhitetails.com have taken up, a few of them have gotten interested in it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess a 1896 iron sighted rifle is too new?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If that sort of thing turns your crank, well good for you. Just don't try to tell me that you're a "real" hunter and I'm not. That ain't gonna fly bubba.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Guess I need to become more familiar with my rifles. I don't know where the nose is on any of them.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty sure I'm a real hunter. I like gettin' any way I can.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they've got the front half covered

I got the back half

i.e. not unusual to haul a sheep out 12-20 mile on shanks mare

if they'd have butchered that pig up and done the same they'd have my admiration

but they're driving around in a rice burner lookin to play Indian.

still gonna use a rifle to kill a sheep, though I do admire a good bow hunter, but ime there's about 25 arrow slingers to every bow hunter I've met

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.