Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Gentlemen and Ladies,

Fire Ants became a real PITA Monday night, I found them coming into the garage and subsequent storage room. Sprayed household bug spray on them, and swept them out of the inside area. I then proceeded to Lowes to purchase Ortho Fire Ant Killer for the front and backyard. I applied the killer granules, I did everything according to instructions:

1. Gently sprinkle � cup of product over, and 2 feet around, each mound.

2. To maximize product performance, slowly and gently water-in 1 to 2 gallons of water to limt run-off from the mound and to reduce the chance of disturbing the ants

Ortho says ants are destroyed in about 12 hours. Still some in front yard, but will take care of them tomorrow morning early.

Now my questions:

Is there anything else I can do to destroy them ? Or stop/repel them from wanting to camp out in the yard ?

When can the dog safely return to the yard after applications of the Fire Ant Killer Granules ?

Sorry about the questions, but we don't have these little buggers in Canada and I am basically relying on what I see on TV and read on line to try to stop/squash the problem.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hate to be the one with bad news but....you can't really kill fire ants with chemicals that are legal today.

The best you can hope for is to apply enough poison to run them to your neighbor's yard.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AMDRO is your friend in the battle with fireants. It is the most effective killer you can legally buy.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Lynn
I have used a product called Over and Out for the last two years. It's a granule, and it has truly worked for me. One application lasts all summer here. Only fire ant product I've used that works as advertised
MC

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by T LEE
AMDRO is your friend in the battle with fireants. It is the most effective killer you can legally buy.

Im 99% sure that's the stuff my old man uses when he's in Florida. It's a lot better than the Ortho he used to use.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
fire ants are a serious subject. i think they devour the ticks and fleas in the yard.

beyond that, they're not much fun. there was a time that diazinon was a preventative. it's illegal now, i think. there was stuff known as Dursban that was somewhat effective. i think it's illegal now. Chlordane is out of the question also.

i've been bitten by fireants so many timees it's not even funny.

Mirax was an effective preventative. once upon a time we had the fireants stopped at the river (the Chattahoochee), but the gov't blinked in the face of the environmentalists, and the fireants swept into the communities.

now adays, just remember, the chemical companies don't want to find a 100 percent cure for fire ant infestations. it would destroy their market for fire ant control.

live with them, they're your friend. grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I switch off between Amdro and Ortho Orthene every other application. Both work well, but I figure by switching back and forth, they won't as easily build a tolerance etc.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The bites aren't bad, But the STING can get infected and can scar.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just be careful using it around pets.I use Ortho Orthene around mounds but not in area where my dogs are.I sprinkle Ortho Block around fences and foundation of my house once a month,that helps me keep them out of the yard and in the house.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like the Amdro over Ortho. Ortho smells like a bad fart. Totally against the instructions, I kick the mound and sprinkle some on. That really pizzes off the ants and they take that stuff right on down to the queen to brag about their conquest.

Dust your yard pretty good with some Diatomaceous Earth and it will give the remaining ants knee problems.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Get a water hose.... turn up your water heater to max temp. Take the hose out, handle with care, attach to hot water line faucet, run HOT water boiling is even better, by the gallons, think 5 gallon bucket on each mound.

Has worked for us very well most of the time.

Beyond that, Amdro and be a bit patient with amdro.

DIatomaceous earth was going to be another guess on my part, as it does well with fleas and other critters, never thought to run it for fire ants but suspect if put all over yard it SHOULD dent them pretty good.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use Amdro out here for the red,black ants.
My mother-in-law is allergic to them.It really keeps working.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try one of these.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Hate to be the one with bad news but....you can't really kill fire ants with chemicals that are legal today.

The best you can hope for is to apply enough poison to run them to your neighbor's yard.

WORD!!

best you can hope to do is drive them somewhere else.

Sam......

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lynn,

The active ingredient in AMDRO is hydramethylnon which is relatively tame if you aren't an ant. It's a slow acting pesticide intended to give the ants time to harvest the bait and distribute it throughout the colony - it can take a few days to kill the colony. Your dog could walk in the stuff without worry, just don't let the dog eat it.

Fact Sheet

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
well, there it is. we want to control the fireants, not eradicate them.

kinda like kudzu, i guess.

they're an invasive exotic. kinda like hogs gone wild.

or kudzu.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Try Splenda.
http://ecofriendlyhealth.tumblr.com...kill-ants-are-you-seriously-going-to-put

Splenda was �discovered� accidentally in a lab back in 1975 while trying to create a new insecticide (Ewww�who decided it was safe for human consumption? Oh yeah the FDA did back in 1998).
Whole Foods or Trader Joe�s will not sell Splenda or any product that contains �sucralose� because it does not fit within their code of ethics of selling �real food�. (Thank you Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe�s)
Sucralose, the made-up name by the manufacturer of Splenda, contains chlorinated compounds. (Ohhh�Splenda made up the name sucralose�because anything that ends on �ose� makes it sound like yummy sugar)
Chlorine is toxic and is not found in any food or table salt even though the manufacturer of Splenda will tell you it is fine. However there is chloride present in food and table salt, which is non-toxic. (Very sneaky Splenda makers)
Chlorine, (which we now know is in Splenda), has caused so much damage to human health that Greenpeace has launched a Chlorine-Free Campaign, calling for a worldwide ban on chlorine. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) also maintains a strong anti-chlorine stance. (Did you know that cancer patients have high levels of chlorine in their bodies?)
If you really want some motivation for staying away from Splenda and anything that contains it (example: Weight Watchers, Atkins and South Beach, flavored waters, Crystal Light, diet drinks anything �diet� or labeled as �sugar-free�, �low in sugar� or no sugar� typically contains it. Yes, this includes your kids� favorite �no-sugar� Hawaiian Punch) and if you are a future mother, read all about baby boys being born with shortened male anatomy due to chlorine passed to them in the womb. (and we want to do this to our unborn children, why?)
Studies show that people that consumed diet drinks were 41% more likely to be overweight than those who did not. (so diet drinks and foods are sabatoging our weight loss efforts? Seems like an oxymoron to me)
Reblogged from Healthier Ever

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by fish head
Try one of these.

[Linked Image]

They are fire ants after all

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gus
well, there it is. we want to control the fireants, not eradicate them.

kinda like kudzu, i guess.

they're an invasive exotic. kinda like hogs gone wild.

or kudzu.

What's this "We" chit,......?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Move to Antartica it is the only place that is safe from fire ants , until the fire ants get fur parkas that is.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (163bc, 1lesfox, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 980 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,032
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.