Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Since you already run a Ruger and are used to it, you wouldn't go too far wrong running a Ruger Ultralight itself in 308. It'll get the job done without much trouble, not quite as light as some though.

+1

The Ruger Hawkeye Ultralight is a dandy little rifle and certainly a contender.
Gus

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big8
Just food for thought..

Why not pick up a little youth .308 rem 700(or 7??) and put it in a TI take off??

A wise member once told me to do so, and the rig is unbelievably light..6.25 with talley LW rings/bases, a belly full of dumby rounds(less the powder) and my little lightweight synthetic sling..

May not be Montana light, but I have a rifle scoped and ready to rock for less cash.

With that being said, I often lust over the little Montanas just the same..grins

The 700 Youth route with a Ti take off is an awesome way to go. It'll weigh a bit more than the Montana but it has the weight where it should be (out front) and it's my way of thinking that it helps a ton in terms of making it accurate.

Other very good option is a T3 Lite in 308. Scope either one with a 6x36 Leo with dotz and you're ready to rock to 500.

Both will weigh a bit more than the Montana but for me, for me...it's totally worth it to tote a bit more weight to have the kind of accuracy I find acceptable.

Lots of weighs to skin this cat.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Kimber 84M Classic
or
Browning BLR Lightweight with Pistol Grip

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Tikka T3 Lite .308, trimmed back to 20"s, weighs 5#s 13.5 ounces, according to the local post office scale, before glass.

Glass is a Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NPR2. It shoots like a typical Tikka.

Phenomenal little gun for my style of hunting and terrain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Tikka T3 Lite .308, trimmed back to 20"s, weighs 5#s 13.5 ounces, according to the local post office scale, before glass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love the fence post picture cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Campfire Tradition don'tcha know!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
With Leupold 2.5-8x36 in Low Talley Lwt's is 5lb's 15oz's.

Brad--is that weight "all up??" grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Lots of weighs to skin this cat.. wink

Dober

grin Brilliant, laugh of the day! grin

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have the same rifle albeit with Leup 2.5-8x VXIII and standard barrel length. (I'm skeered to mess with anything that shoots that well) It's pretty much taken over all the deer hunting duties.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lot's of great suggestions here.

I went with a LVSF .308 in a TI w/ 2.5X8 Leupold.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Not a super light weight, but it balances very well.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is a cool one! I just picked up a TI in 7mm-08. Didn't really need it, but I couldn't pass it up for the price.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Weatherby MK V Ultralight in whatever get's your clock ticking and you won't be disappointed. Though they can be found in .280 if you look around....

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've got a few lighter rifles. What I've learned is that you need to be very careful to get something you can shoot well in the weight of rifle that you choose. You particularly want to avoid anything that is muzzle light.
I find about 7-7.5 lbs. w/o cartriages or a shooting sling works best for me. Other find that 6 lbs. works well. I've shot some of those too and can see why they are liked. All of them, however had neutral or slightly muzzle heavy balance.
Going from a really heavy rifle to a much lighter one can be a bit frustrating when it comes to shooting them from a field position. They don't steady down as quickly and are fussier to shoot from the bench. But it can be learned.
I've found a shooting sling helps alot. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I've got a few lighter rifles. What I've learned is that you need to be very careful to get something you can shoot well in the weight of rifle that you choose. You particularly want to avoid anything that is muzzle light.
I find about 7-7.5 lbs. w/o cartriages or a shooting sling works best for me. Other find that 6 lbs. works well. I've shot some of those too and can see why they are liked. All of them, however had neutral or slightly muzzle heavy balance.
Going from a really heavy rifle to a much lighter one can be a bit frustrating when it comes to shooting them from a field position. They don't steady down as quickly and are fussier to shoot from the bench. But it can be learned.
I've found a shooting sling helps alot. E

This is an excellent point!

Especially coming from as heavy of a rifle as you are...I personally cannot get the "feel" for the "ultralights", I simply cannot steady them well.
This is even worse if out of breath or excited, the rifle just seems to bounce all around.

What I've found for me is I STRONGLY prefer a slightly muzzle heavy, barrel with a moderate contour and length....the snub nosed pencil tubes, other than carrying them, simply don't cut it for me.

Almost anything will be light in comparison to your present stick. wink

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have owned 5 Kimber Montana's 2 .308's, 2 .243's, and a .223. I kept buying them and then I would turn around and sell or trade them away.

They are great rifles to carry and very accurate off the bench. But, as others have said I found them difficult to steady in some field positions.

My idea of the ultimate lightweight .308 would be the Sako 85 Finnlight, not too light, not too heavy, perfect balance, deadly accurate.

In fact it's going to be my next rifle purchase. I had one in .243 and should never have sold it.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
i have two marlin xs7 in 308 and am shocked at how well they shoot , especially factoring in the price. One of them is a legitimate sub moa performer and I woudl not hesitate to take it in the field on a high priced hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a Ruger 1A or AB???

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 39 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.