L
Gotcha! Makes sense.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Leave me alone,....I'm still trying to cypher his post
He said he went fishing but didnt catch any and the boat sunk on the way home.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Leave me alone,....I'm still trying to cypher his post
He said he went fishing but didnt catch any and the boat sunk on the way home.

I dunno for sure how you got boat out of that message, but it could be due to the repeated references to "personal flotation devices." That seems to be the most I could get out of it.

You may be right. More study is needed, however.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Gotta read between the wording.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
in the interest of civility on the internet, and group cohesiveness i have edited the post that seemed to create so much dissonance.

obviously i could have chosen better wording than i did.

and no, the fireant killer doesn't bother me, i have used plenty of diazinon as an insecticide over the years.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+ .001

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by djs
Whatever you do, don't piss then off; be sure to kill them.

Just curious as to why?

If I put the Amdro on the mound it seems to take a couple of days before all the little orange pieces are gone into the mound. Stirring them up a bit has it gone within 30 minutes in most cases. They are taking the stuff somewhere into the mound and the mound dies in half the time.

YMMV.

Fire ants wall off the queen and move her, when they think the mound is under attack. All you do messing with it, is get the infantry stirred up, but send the high command off somewhere else in the yard.

Even with orthene, you should try to not disrupt the mound, that way they will bring the Amdro (food) or the Orthene attached to their bodies to the ants that protect the queen and kill all of them.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Originally Posted by Gus

just keep machine-gunning the Gooks, T_Lee. you won't receive any repentance from that sorely poor episode.

killing humans at the request of Pres. Johnson. what a sore practice of loyalty you possessed, or was possessed by.

pray for forgiveness, and move on.

gus, what a low life POS you are. mad

You should be thankful that men and women have defended our country when they were called upon to do so. FOAD Schitball.

Don't know who Gus is (or WHAT it is), but somehow his 'contribution' on this thread seems appropriate. You know, a pesky, irritating low form of life that needs, uummmm, controlling.

CHAS - RVN 1970-1971

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus
in the interest of civility on the internet, and group cohesiveness i have edited the post that seemed to create so much dissonance.

and no, the fireant killer doesn't bother me, i have used plenty of diazinon as an insecticide over the years.

You should be a [bleep] politician now that you have mastered the non-apology apology. Obviously, what you said about Terry was wrong and until you say THAT, you can stick your "edits" and your fake concerns about civility.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gus

Fold your tent now & go away. You've shown your colors and its evident that you're a sorry excuse for an azzhole.

Last edited by badger; 05/14/11.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gus

In the interest of "Group Cohesiveness" why don't you just [bleep] right off,......and take that smart mouth of yours with you.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice try, ya farking prick........

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I assume that was directed at dickhead & not me? smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I assume that was directed at dickhead & not me? smile

Yep!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Gentlemen and Ladies,

Fire Ants became a real PITA Monday night, I found them coming into the garage and subsequent storage room. Sprayed household bug spray on them, and swept them out of the inside area. I then proceeded to Lowes to purchase Ortho Fire Ant Killer for the front and backyard. I applied the killer granules, I did everything according to instructions:

1. Gently sprinkle � cup of product over, and 2 feet around, each mound.

2. To maximize product performance, slowly and gently water-in 1 to 2 gallons of water to limt run-off from the mound and to reduce the chance of disturbing the ants

Ortho says ants are destroyed in about 12 hours. Still some in front yard, but will take care of them tomorrow morning early.

Now my questions:

Is there anything else I can do to destroy them ? Or stop/repel them from wanting to camp out in the yard ?

When can the dog safely return to the yard after applications of the Fire Ant Killer Granules ?

Sorry about the questions, but we don't have these little buggers in Canada and I am basically relying on what I see on TV and read on line to try to stop/squash the problem.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn

ML,

There is one application that works and has for me for ~ 40yrs. It is called Mercaptan, the "skunk" smell that is put into natural gas so that you can detect it. It is injected into the normally odorless gas for safety reasons and can be detected by humans in pp/b (parts per billion).

IF you know someone in the Gas Utilities or Gas Pipeline businesses you might want to try to get a glass bottle of it (wrap it in padding and secure w/Gorilla tape). Using a disposable plastic syringe with a longish needle, simply apply one, single drop on each ant hill. Suggest you 1st mark the ant hills and then apply this on a windy night. Jus sayin. You'll never have them again.

Now, for obvious reasons, this liquid is regulated, thus best "to know someone", if you get my meaning. Good luck and stay sweet!

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Been living with fire ants so long I hardly notice 'em.

A couple of years back the drought knocked even them back around here... whereupon the whole neighborhood developed a dog tick problem beyond belief, like 20 on the dog whenever she came in from out in the yard.

Spraying our yard didn't help, the neighbors didn't spray theirs.

2010 the rains came and so did the fire ants dogs tick dropped off of the radar.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Using a hand push spreader with Telstar will hold them back for a long while. Ain't cheap but does work for several yrs.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back to the original post. I use the AMDRO and have since it came out. Just sprinkle it around the perimeter of the mound and the mound is usually dead the next day.

When we could still get chlordane we would dust the whole yard twice a year and be bug free all year.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gus

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ain't no thing Cross, you have to belong to a group to have cohesiveness, Gus has no group here so is irrelevant.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (21, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 2,095 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.