Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I want to buy a very good set of dies for the 45 70.

I have now a set of dillon dies and the lee FCD die.
Set up worked fine for cranking out fun target ammo for a lever gun. Back when I only owned a dillon press.

I now have a single stage press and a shiloh sharps on the way.
My purpose is still fun target shooting.
But the gun is going to be a lot more accurate.

Should I change up the dies?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Nope. Dillon dies are very capable of making accurate ammo.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I can't think of any reason you would need anything fancy for a plain jane vanilla straight wall cartridge like that. Too many people give credit to the dies for making their gun accurate....it's really the other way around. Wait till you get your new gun.....if it's made right you won't need anything more than what you have.
BTW--do you have a concentricity gauge? I'm thinking the only way your dies could make inaccurate ammo is if it was not straight. Usually straight wall stuff turns out great with standard dies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're planning to load long cast bullets, RCBS makes the better expander die, at least of the three brands I own: RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady. For seating somewhat pointy bullets though, Hornady has the better seater stem (and RCBS, though they sent me two additional types gratis, still does not seat bullets like the Barnes 400 semi-spitzer soft point, at least not in slightly compressed loads, without flattening the bullet tip.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I use the RCBS cowboy dies for loading cast bullets, they don't size quite as much as their standard dies, and the expanding dies seem to work better for cast bullets, but I'm not sure why. very smooth to work with and very accurate. I shoot the Lyman 457122 gould bullet out of my 1886 Extra-lightweight.

IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Sounds like you have a good combo to me. I have a set of Hornady dies and am looking to replace the seat die. Too much slop and I get non-concentric ammo. Got suckered into the free bullet offer when I bought the dies. I have a set of Lyman dies coming my way to compare against. The Lyman M-die is reported to be the best expander design on the market.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started out with a set of Hornady New Dimension dies for my 45/70 - never could get tightly gripped bullets due to the fixed nature of the expanding die. Bought a set of the standard Redding three die set for the 45/70 and have had perfect performance with both lead and jacketed bullets ever since.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Standard RCBS 45-70 dies will work just fine. At least, mine have for years.

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The one additonal die you might consider for your straight-walled .45/70 cartridge case is a RCBS CARBIDE re-sizing die IF such a die is available (and I believe it is).

With a CARBIDE re-sizing die, you do NOT have to LUBRICATE the case prior to re-sizing it which takes a lot of the effort and mess outta reloading the cartridge.

The carbide die not only re-sizes the case with greater ease, it actually "polishes" the case as well... and since there is no messy lub to wipe off the case after re-sizing, it speeds up the reloading process a considerable amount and makes the whole process easier and considerably faster.

The carbide re-sizing die is available as part of a new set for most straight-walled cases... or as an individual die alone.

Jus' my 2 cents... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Woops I actually have Hornady New Dimension dies.
Dillon does not make 45 70. My mistake.

Do guys neck size only for the 45 70???

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ron_T
The one additonal die you might consider for your straight-walled .45/70 cartridge case is a RCBS CARBIDE re-sizing die IF such a die is available (and I believe it is).

With a CARBIDE re-sizing die, you do NOT have to LUBRICATE the case prior to re-sizing it which takes a lot of the effort and mess outta reloading the cartridge.

The carbide die not only re-sizes the case with greater ease, it actually "polishes" the case as well... and since there is no messy lub to wipe off the case after re-sizing, it speeds up the reloading process a considerable amount and makes the whole process easier and considerably faster.

The carbide re-sizing die is available as part of a new set for most straight-walled cases... or as an individual die alone.

Jus' my 2 cents... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

The 45-70 is NOT a straight walled case, although I could see how one may come to that conclusion. If you look carefully at a case, you'll see what I'm talking about. There are no carbide 45-70 dies on the market and for that reason. You can buy neck sizing dies for the 45-70. In fact, I have one made by Redding.

Everything else you said about carbide dies is true...

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My mistake... thanx for the correction. It sure looks "straight-walled" to me... but I don't have a 45/70 and have never reloaded for a .45/70 during the almost 50 years I've been reloading. Sorry for the mis-information. frown

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a bunch of good .45-70 dies out there, but there are differences. Lately I have been having my best luck with Redding Competition dies.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Jus' my 2 cents... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

The 45-70 is NOT a straight walled case, although I could see how one may come to that conclusion. If you look carefully at a case, you'll see what I'm talking about. There are no carbide 45-70 dies on the market and for that reason. You can buy neck sizing dies for the 45-70. In fact, I have one made by Redding.

DF

Can't think of a die set for carbide that IS for a straight walled case; just about all of them have some taper.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
If you're planning to load long cast bullets, RCBS makes the better expander die, at least of the three brands I own: RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady. For seating somewhat pointy bullets though, Hornady has the better seater stem (and RCBS, though they sent me two additional types gratis, still does not seat bullets like the Barnes 400 semi-spitzer soft point, at least not in slightly compressed loads, without flattening the bullet tip.

UniqueTek has a 'tip' for using a glue gun to make a custom bullet seating stem. You can get it from their website-they have a kind of funky process though. You send them an email requesting the tip and they email it back to you. Not sure why they do it that way, but that's what's required. If that's a problem, PM me and I'll try to email you a Word document with the tip.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Jus' my 2 cents... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

DF

Can't think of a die set for carbide that IS for a straight walled case; just about all of them have some taper.

You are right. Even the straight walled cases have some taper. Otherwise, they'd be hard to load and extract. But, as you well know, cases like the .357, .44's, .45's, etc., are referred to as "straight walled". The 45-70 looks kinda like that, but isn't.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I use steel dies for all of those too!

I have used RCBS dies for 45/70 and have to agree, the seater plugs fit RCBS moulds and bullets well, be not a lot of the customs of other makes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.