-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On the left is my 458 Win Mauser that I built and have used for the past twenty-nine years
and the other two are my kids 375 Rugers.
If I were starting again and on a tight budget like most guides, I probably would go with the factory Ruger - especially with todays bullets.
But I still feel that a properly set up Mauser is THE BEST way to go.
[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by bluesman
Redfield 2-7 scope.

Terry

Doooood.....we need to move this over to the optics forum and argue about optics... grin

1.5-5 Leupy....... wink

[Linked Image]

Nice buffalo! I've always wanted to hunt those.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dang, Phil. Your rifle get run through a combine? laugh

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jorge, agreed with the deep "V" for a factory built option. My peep was machined out of a solid block of steel and made for my rifle. I also have a "BIG" hole in the peep. I suppose it comes down to what you're used to, but for me the big peep was like magic to line up and shoot with. May not be for everyone, and certainly not as they come from some mass production Peep maker. I could drag my rifle through the dirt behind the cruiser and not get my sights out of whack, that Peep was a machined block of steel we fitted over many days at the range with trial and error shooting my handloads.

I do think your correct, and I completely agree with you. Unless your well seasoned with a peep of correct design, the V is the better option.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had heard that 458's rifle was the ugliest one ever on the innanet- seeing is believing. That rifle has some soul.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What stories 458's rifle could tell---
That is a handsome piece

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those have bayonette lugs from an M1 carbine to hold the light?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mauser 98..."A" model style, with the minor alterations needed to make it a .375 H&H..

Simple...

Next question? grin

More talk like that and people will think we're related. BTW, how is Mom?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great job guys. Awesome rifles.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jorge,

A ghost ring sight like JJ is referring to is damn fast and much more acurate than a V. Peeps are slow, but a ghost ring sight with a big aperture is just the ticket for a backup gun.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hatari
Mauser 98..."A" model style, with the minor alterations needed to make it a .375 H&H..

Simple...

Next question? grin

More talk like that and people will think we're related. BTW, how is Mom?

Not so good......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More than one way to get there as has already been demonstrated in this thread.

For myself, I had AHR build me a couple DGR.

.375 H&H
.458 Lott

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I really don't want to know what goes bump in the night by Phil's place, in that he needs a flashlight on his .458. I'm thinking taking out the trash is something done in the daylight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I just picked a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger and am having the action and barrel channel glass-bedded, a second cross-bolt added, trigger tweaked by Roger Ferrel and calling it good. Have had a 416, 458 Lott, and H&H. Enough to know the Ruger will be enough for me.

Optics will be a 2.5x if i ever get across The Pond again or a 4x if i take it after elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
On the left is my 458 Win Mauser that I built and have used for the past twenty-nine years
and the other two are my kids 375 Rugers.
If I were starting again and on a tight budget like most guides, I probably would go with the factory Ruger - especially with todays bullets.
But I still feel that a properly set up Mauser is THE BEST way to go.
[Linked Image]

HARDCORE & INSPIRATIONAL!!!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I was gonna stay out of this..... But, just so I can catch schmittt from you guys.... My son and I are taking Ruger no. 1s to Zim, this summer. Both are 375 H&H. We are hunting cpe buff, tuskless ele, and hippo. I'll let you know later, how we get along. But I'm not worried.....grin

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maddog
Well, I was gonna stay out of this..... But, just so I can catch schmittt from you guys.... My son and I are taking Ruger no. 1s to Zim, this summer. Both are 375 H&H. We are hunting cpe buff, tuskless ele, and hippo. I'll let you know later, how we get along. But I'm not worried.....grin

maddog

nice knowing ya laugh

i've heard of it being done, it's not for me personally...

your PH will love it grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by colorado
If we're talking big bores, don't they start at 500 ?

[Linked Image]

If you're shooting any 500 bigger than a 500 S&W off the bench, you're more of a man than me....

Just kiddin, figured I fire up the thread a bit more ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bluesman
Redfield 2-7 scope.

Terry

Doooood.....we need to move this over to the optics forum and argue about optics... grin

1.5-5 Leupy....... wink

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
There you go again dangling that buff in front of me. There is something about him that stirs me up. I have my CZ in shape, and am working to get my knee back to African walkable. I am back to work in a work hardening 6 week program to see if I am able to do the job. Lots of pain, but progress is being made.

CZ 550 with NEGC aperture rear, feeds without flaw, shoots well with the original express sites but I will try the aperture and see if that works more better. If not I will have to go with the Vari X 3 1.75x6. To me it just seems wrong to scope a DG rifle, but many have done so wth great success.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Randy...depending on where you are going to hunt, you may get in a LOT of walking after buffalo...we were in a sparse area buffalo-wise and logged up an easy 7 to 12 miles a day, and finally got a decent opportunity at that bull in the last 20 minutes of a 14 day hunt....
You learn quickly that you hunt buffalo not for the trophy...but to have hunted buffalo.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 18 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,677
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.