Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My chrono set-up features an Oehler 33 w/ 4' spacings and a Chrony positioned exactly in the middle. This way, I get 2 machines reading every shot, which really cuts down on lost readings due to error messages.

In bright, glaring sunshine, the 2 chronos will occasionally give readings as much as 100 fps apart, and rarely, much more. Could it be due to bullet "glint", as some writers have theorized? But on overcast days, they agree almost exactly.

If I can help it, I prefer to NOT waste bullets on bright, sun-shiny days.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WEll I see no one from the Pacific NW has chimed in...

using a chrony in overcast environments, WELCOME to Oregon...

I have the basic shooting chrony... and believe it or not, I use it without the screens when it is overcast during the winter most of the time... and have less error readings...

but during overcast, the readings with or without the screens are the same...so I actually prefer to chronograph loads on cloudy days...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I used to get readings that were different depending on the weather(sunny or cloudy). Tried bigger diffusers and shading apparatus with mixed results, then read an article by J.B. on chrony's and he suggested putting a piece of cellophane tape over each sensor. I did that, threw away the diffusers and have had consistant readings ever since no matter what the weather, I just use the rods for line of sight. The article was 3-5 yrs ago I think, mabye some one here will have a link to it.

Originally Posted by rifletom
mod7rem, I remember that article and did the same with the tape. Kept the diffusers tho, but JB's tape idea works.

I would be very interested in this article (linky please anyone).
Anybody care to post a post a photo of how the tape is used.
I dislike dealing with those dang diffusers!!

Thanks,
Claybreaker
aka Wally

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have 2 Pacts and don't have any problems on sunny or cloudy day.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I use anymore are Chronys of one version or another. I almost never use the screens at this always-low-sun latitude. But the units work most reliably when the sky isn't perfectly clear. The single time I've ever had real problems catching speeds was when the sky was perfectly clear on a crisp fall evening; the sun was bright and low. Only by laying the unit sideways toward the light and using screens could I pick up some shots, very frustrating.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Is there an easy way to calibrate or even find out if your chrony is accurate? I don't know if my Beta master Chrony is reading high or low. Seems some get higher reading with their meters.

Daisy Red Ryder or your favorite 22lr.... Mark the cord that leads to the display at 10' with a piece of tape to make sure it's the same distance from the muzzle each time you set up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 52 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.