Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
It definitely has me intrigued! I can't wait to get it in my hands to find out exactly what I have bought.

Last edited by pacecars; 05/29/11.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
HR IC

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Oh my...

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I just wish it was a 7x64

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I just wish I could find a 7x64... smile

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Me too. I would also love to have one in 6.5x57. Here is a 7x64 for sale and the price isn't too bad. Not sure why that scope is on there though:
http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Gun-Library--Fine-Rifles%7C--pc--103792680--c--103796280--Steyr-Mannlicher-Model-M-Professional-7x64--1226016.uts.shtml

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Jagdmatch is the one I was thinking of with the laminated stock. Here is one in .308
http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8863284.0

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Jagt match were made if i recall well in 222Rem (SL receiver) 243 and 308. The stock was made in hard wood sort of laminated finish.
They are good rifles to the boot.

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wow! Look at that! And in my own back yard, too... I was just down there 3 or 4 weeks ago, and didn't see that. blush I just might have to go check that out a bit closer... smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I like the Warne QD mounts on it too. I wish the M-III had iron sights

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
pacecars...the folks at Steyr service told me they can install factory iron sights on my Mk3 - got another with iron sights so never had it done but you have the option available.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Talked to GSI today and they never had a stainlesss or silver coated Model M of any kind. it has to be some kind of aftermarket finish. I will find out when it arrives I guess

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
pacecars,

I didn't think so... smile I looked back on my original post on this subject, and realized I didn't make myself very clear.... blush

What I meant was that I didn't think that Steyr ever made stainless rifles prior to the SBS incarnation... I knew they made the SBS in SS, but I had forgotton it... My bad! frown

I wonder why GSI dropped the importation of the Steyrs... ?

GH

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I knew what you meant. I am going to keep it anyway. GSI still has the magazines for $63.00 too. Why did Steyr go to the SBS actions?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
Why did Steyr go to the SBS actions?

I haven't a clue... blush I suppose the on-going debate about safeties locking the bolt likely had something to do with. And perhaps the fact that EVERYONE knows that rear locking lug bolts aren't supposed to be accurate...

Right!

I'm curious to see what you think of the coating on the rifle in question... smile My gunsmith tells me that it is VERY hard... That one can barely scratch it with a file... I have at least two rifles that have been coated with Metalife . One thing I forgot to mention... It's a permanent coating... It doesn't come off! (Or so I've been told...) smile

GH

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
re: why SBS system came about, it is cheaper to make, not as labor intensive. The standard M and similar SSG series have rear bolt locking lugs so making the receiver is harder as far as casting/forging and final finishing of the inside of the receiver..

The L,M,S bolt is more complicated as well. I do find with hotter loads bolt lift is a little sticky compared to the camming aspect of a M70, Mauser or 700 action. I've heard the same said for other multi-lug actions, even Weatherby's.

The SBS receiver has no locking lugs, it is an insert pressed into the barrel after forging and chamber finishing. I read somewhere that the locking lug insert was tested at twice the pressures without failure.

I too have read that rear locking lugs bolt guns are not as accurate and maybe this is the case for those who need ultra accurate rifles.

For my use, Steyr's are plenty accurate and offer slick round chambering as a bonus.The SSG versions are accurate enough for .308 competition and snipers, I'm sure they chose wisely.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I think the Remington 788 helped to shoot holes in that theory too. They are a lot more accurate than they should be. Everyone that I have ever let shoot my Steyrs have always said they though they were ugly....until they shot it. I have always loved the classic American stock and the classic British express rifle stock but I have yet to find a stock that fits me better for off hand shooting than the M Professional does.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by pacecars
Everyone that I have ever let shoot my Steyrs have always said they thought they were ugly....until they shot it. I have always loved the classic American stock and the classic British express rifle stock but I have yet to find a stock that fits me better for off hand shooting than the M Professional does.

My own experience with my 6.5x57 almsot exactly mirrors that statement.

When I purchased the rifle, I mounted a 6x42 Leupold and took it to the range. I worked up my test loads, and when the rifle was sighted and and I was done, I had 4 rounds left over. Since I hate to leave those few rounds in a box, I thought I'd just fire them off. Our range is also a NRA approved silhouette range and there are permanent silhouette swingers set up. So, I stood up 'on my hind legs and shot like a man'... Out of the four rounds, I hit the chicken 3 times. (200 yds) AFAIC, that stock sure is ugly, but it fits me like a glove. I believe it's the easiest rifle to shoot offhand that I own... smile

GH

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Grasshopper ... I am interested in the extra stock you mentioned - PM in your mailbox. Let me know where and cost. Best Regards ...grvj

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I picked up the rifle yesterday and the finish is very smooth and even on every part. I will try to get some closeup pics this evening. I must say that I like it a lot.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Here are some pics I took real quick today while waiting for a crap load of girls to arrive (It is my daughter's 16th birthday party) so I still need to get some good closeups. There is a slightly different coloration inside the ejection port.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/pacecars/DSC_0031.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/pacecars/DSC_0030.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/pacecars/DSC_0027.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/pacecars/DSC_0034.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 68 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.