Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M7300SAUM
I give up. What is a "faux ti" that I keep reading on this thread? Thanks for the enlightening.

Here's the original Faux Ti from Remington, some people make up their own though from similar components

http://www.remington.com/products/f...re/model-700-mtn-ss-guidespecialrun.aspx

Mountain Rifle Contour barrel in a 1st Generation Ti Stock, falls within about 1/4 lb of the 1st generation Ti Rifles.

Life is just one damned thing after another
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one in 7-08 with a 6x42 Leupy. It's a great combo, and it shoots.

[Linked Image]

These are shots 3,4 & 5 with plain ole Rem CL's, IIRC, when I first was playing with it and sighting it in.

[Linked Image]

It has shot everything sub moa so far - Fusions and a couple of hand loads developed for other rifles.

If I didn't have a Montana in 7-08, I'd probably grab this one nearly every time I headed to the pasture with the idea of killing something.

DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I have are field photos with the Faux Ti 243...grin.

[Linked Image]

It shoots as good as the 7-08, and is deadly way beyond most folks comprehension with an 85 TSX. Busted both shoulders on this big Axis with one, and killed him in under 100 yards.

DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
The way I'd go is buy a 700 Youth, it comes with a 20" standard contour barrel. Find a youth to give the handle to and then find a Ti take off handle to stick on it.

Add Talley's, and a 3-9 Burris with BP and rock on.

And lastly, a stash of R17 and 87 Bergers...grin then go forth and fill up some arks!!

Dober

Here's a version of almost exactly what Dober recommends - except I went with a stainless sporter contour since Dicks had them on special for about what a Youth blued 700 would have cost. I cut it to 21" instead of 20". It still balances and handles really nice, even though this one will be a tick heavier with a hair more beef in the barrel than Dober's, but it's mighty close with maybe a little less muzzle blast than a 20" barrel might provide. I put a Leupy on this one since I set it up for my son and wanted a tick more eye relief.

[Linked Image]

My son is getting along with it real well, and he really likes it. This is kind of a crummy cell phone pic, but it was all I had when he killed this hog.

[Linked Image]

DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice set up, that a 2-8 vx3? Conetrol? Stock?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually a 3-9x40 VXII in a set of Gentry rings that I picked up a couple of years ago.

These Gentry's are about as nice as they come.

I run Talley LW's on everything, but would take as many as I could find of the Gentry's if I could get them for what I paid for these.

I've got the other pair on the 7-08 Faux Ti in the first picture.

They are super slick and very light. I think they were outrageously expensive new from Dave Gentry before he died, but this used pair was about what new Talleys cost, and I sure have liked them.

Stock is a Ti takeoff cut down to 12.75 or 13 LOP that I picked up off the 'Fire, as well.

Perfect for the young 'uns.

DJ

Last edited by DJTex; 06/01/11.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DJTex
All I have are field photos with the Faux Ti 243...grin.

[Linked Image]

DJ

You've cost me a LOT of money posting pics of those Faux Tis...

And you can quit posting that Axis...ultimately thats gonna cost me too...... whistle

I WANT one.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just fanning the flames a little...grin.

I think this Axis thing is not cured with just one, though...

I'm really wanting to chase another one or two. Keep wishing they'd show up again.

My little girl let this one have it with the Faux Ti 243, as well. Best eating critter going, IMHO.

[Linked Image]

It was quartering toward us, and she whacked it on the point of the shoulder with another 85 TSX.

[Linked Image]

Exited and knocked a pretty good hole through behind the off shoulder, and left a blood trail that I let the her and her brother (he was helping me guide...grin) work out through the prickly pear and mesquites.

Didn't take them long...

[Linked Image]

Of course, your 223AI with the blazin' little TSX's would kill one just fine, but I really think you need a Faux Ti 243 or 7-08 of some kind for this Axis hunt...

So, buy you another rifle and book your hunt!! Regret will not be an issue with either decision, IMHO...grin.

DJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You did notice how handy the back cape can be off these bad boys, didn't you??

Rifle could have easily scuffed up my favorite chair without it...

[Linked Image]

I'm just trying to help you out, is all...grin.

DJ

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You suck.......

laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are friends for?

Grin....

DJ

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe

I WANT one.... grin

You should get a friend in Texas...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm working on it.....one of these days....the .223AI needs to carve a path of destruction down there.... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count me in. I'll bring a Mtn Guide as well...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat sounds like phun...now all I need is time, and money! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
dat's right - BTW who needs an invitation? not us...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd help if I could, boys. Our little low fence place seems to have them pass through about 3 days a year.

Although I killed that big one in a drought about like the one we're in now - of course it was end of summer, not end of spring.

I shudder to think what things are going to be like in late August...

Pray for rain.

DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DJTex
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
The way I'd go is buy a 700 Youth, it comes with a 20" standard contour barrel. Find a youth to give the handle to and then find a Ti take off handle to stick on it.

Add Talley's, and a 3-9 Burris with BP and rock on.

And lastly, a stash of R17 and 87 Bergers...grin then go forth and fill up some arks!!

Dober

Here's a version of almost exactly what Dober recommends - except I went with a stainless sporter contour since Dicks had them on special for about what a Youth blued 700 would have cost. I cut it to 21" instead of 20". It still balances and handles really nice, even though this one will be a tick heavier with a hair more beef in the barrel than Dober's, but it's mighty close with maybe a little less muzzle blast than a 20" barrel might provide. I put a Leupy on this one since I set it up for my son and wanted a tick more eye relief.

[Linked Image]

My son is getting along with it real well, and he really likes it. This is kind of a crummy cell phone pic, but it was all I had when he killed this hog.

[Linked Image]

DJ

That rig is model perfecto, the barrel I like is standard contour and going your way I could get the 21" that I want as well. Probably even AI it while I was at it..grin

How painted that bad boy?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Mark.

Rick painted it.

Fosteology had it originally I think, and then Phasmid, and I'm not sure which of them had Rick paint it, but one of them did.

I wasn't sure how we'd get along with it, but when it arrived my son and I knew it was going to be just fine.

Funny how well it blends in - like a camo pattern when we get out in the brush with it.

I wasn't sure how short to cut it when I took it to my 'Smith, but he was going to have to go to some extra trouble with the way his lathe was set up to cut it less than 21", and I knew we could cut a little more off if we needed to, so we started there and it was perfect.

DJ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DJ, great pic of the kids, and great seeing you having that action open, rare to see that, good mentor on safety.

Thanks for the info, and I too like Talley's, but the Gentry as Conetrol sure are slick looking....

Oh, consider me a friend - esp. should you ever need a partner to help you down your way smile

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,937
Posts18,498,866
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.