Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Hello all,

I have had the FA 97 44 special for a couple days and just got back from the range. Needless to say it is my new favorite. This guns has a custom barrel length at 4 3/4, trigger job, micarta grips along with the original laminated grips, over travel screw and fluted cylinder.

I shot it along with my NM Ruger Flat Top 44 Special. The first thing I noticed was the weight difference. I'm not sure of the specs but there is a significant difference, maybe 8 oz. The Freedom arms seemed to have less felt recoil which is due to the grip design. I shot 7 gr. of Unique under a 250 grain Mt. Baldy Keith bullet. I will try to give more of a report later when I take some targets to the range.

ddj

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just curious. Did you forget to take targets to the range with you on this trip?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Two beautiful revolvers! I'm looking forward to hearing how the new FA shoots.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Doubletap - I was shooting rocks and pieces of clay pigeons at the "range". Its an old gravel pit that the county turned into a range.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Looks nice!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Frogman and Darrell

Went back to the range today with targets. I was able to shoot 2" groups offhand at 25 yards. I was still shooting the 7 gr. of Unique under the 250 gr. Mt. Baldy Keith bullet. The barrel does jump but rocks back in the hand very well. Felt recoil is low. The tollerances on these guns are extremely tight. I had 2 rounds where I didn't have primer seated deep enough (I think) and the cylinder wouldn't cycle. I had to take the cylinder out to remove them. I could load them fine in the Blackhawk. I am truely impressed with this gun.

ddj

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My new Lipsey's Ruger Flattop Bisley should arrive tomorrow and am looking forward to some rang time with it. I have some 240 hardcast SWC loaded over 7gr of Unique, and some old 200 gr XTP JHP's to start with as well.

That FA 97 is one fine looking revolver....one of those in .45 Colt would be deadly on medium sized game....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have the .45 Colt with the extra ACP cylinder. My gun has a 5.5 inch barrel. It is correct that the recoil is felt less than in other guns and I also believe it is due to the design of the grip.
A very well made and "tightly" put together gun. With so many folks complaining about the quality of some of the new American made guns it is a real pleasure to me to see a firearm that is made in the USA and built "right".
I also shoot the same 7 grains of Unique with a 250 grain lead bullet and it is a pleasure. This 97 Freedom Arms has become a "favorite" also.

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I debated long and hard between a 44 Special and .45 Colt. The cylinders on the 97's aren't long so it is hard to get the best from a .45 with heavy bullets but not so with the 44 special. The overall length is short enough to load the heaviest bullets. I also decided if the 44 Special was good enough for Elmer and Sketter, it was good enough for me. wink

ddj

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Very nice.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Great looking guns

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks guys,

This Freedom Arms 97 is really something special. YOu can feel the quality both with fit and function. It is truely a work of art. In my opinion they are worth every penny.

ddj

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Very nice ddj. I have looked at freedom Arms hard and long. Presently am having fun with a Ruger RH .45 Colt; it's been completely tuned by Hamilton Bowen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Such a nice side arm needs a good carry. I'd suggest Dave Johnston in Chugiak,AK. He makes one of the best shoulder rigs going. You can google Diamond 'D' Leather but it's Chugiak--there are several Dia Ds. Course you might have many other choices being a righty. His are good whatever side you use.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Goodnews - I will send a pm.

ddj

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I debated long and hard between a 44 Special and .45 Colt. The cylinders on the 97's aren't long so it is hard to get the best from a .45 with heavy bullets but not so with the 44 special. The overall length is short enough to load the heaviest bullets. I also decided if the 44 Special was good enough for Elmer and Sketter, it was good enough for me. wink

ddj

True - but they didn't have the Freedom gun, they liked 44's for their thick cylinder walls. Strength isn't an issue with the Model 97 in 45.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

ddj

True - but they didn't have the Freedom gun, they liked 44's for their thick cylinder walls. Strength isn't an issue with the Model 97 in 45.

Your right. Its not the thickness of the cylinder it is the length with the 45. Many of my favorite cast bullets won't fit in the Freedom Arms 45.

ddj

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shorten the cases to match the crimp groove and work up loads. There will still be lots of room for powder in a 45 "Special Shortened Colt".

You of course have your 44 and that is very cool. But, there isn't any real handicap for the 45.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Shorten the cases to match the crimp groove and work up loads. There will still be lots of room for powder in a 45 "Special Shortened Colt".

You of course have your 44 and that is very cool. But, there isn't any real handicap for the 45.

Plus 1.

There have been many comments on different forums about how the .45 Colt is handicapped by the short cylinder on the FA97. This really isn't the case if you are a handloader. You can use bullets with dual crimp groves, trim cases, crimp over the front drive band or above the crimp grove. Tim Sundles, of Buffalo bore, wrote about using .45 Schofield cases to create some pretty stout loads.

The above is not conjecture, as I have done all of the above except I haven't used .45 Schofield cases. I have used 340gr LWNGCs at 1,100+ fps in a 3 1/2" FA97 -- good tight neck tension and a crimp applied above the crimp grove held the bullets just fine. My standard load, uses the RCBS 270gr SAA crimped over the front drive band (just too lazy to trim a bunch of cases). This load is quite accurate in both .45Colt and .454 W/.45 Colt cylinder.

This post is not ment to disparage the .44 Special -- I have a FA97 so chambered, and it is an absolute joy -- but there are no flies on the .45Colt either.

Anyway, if you are a handloader, and like the idea of the M97 in .45 Colt, don't let the short cyl comments turn you off.

These are two of my most used handguns -- both .45 Colt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paul

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm not trying to give a negative perception to the 45 in a FA 97. I think the only times the cylinder length matters is with heavier cast bullets, such as the popular Keith bullets. That is one of the reasons I went with the 44 special.

ddj

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (01Foreman400, 2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 39 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,501
Posts18,472,222
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.