Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A "Montague" split bamboo fly rod, that my Dad built for me from a kit... Still got it.... A great blue gill rig!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Mine was about a foot long piece of bamboo. Depending on the day, it was a sword, a rifle, a guitar or a spear.

And in later years, a bong. wink

I collected Matchbox cars. Wish I still had some of them...some are quite valuable. Also, many of the kids in the neighborhood had Flexies. We didn't get much snow where we lived in California, so our sleds had wheels instead of runners. I'm sure I hit terminal velocity more than a couple of times on that thing.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
strike anywhere matches and blackcats!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wasn't much of a indoor toy kid, didn't have TV but Shetland pony with old saddle a Red Rider BB gun tied on took me on many mile rain/snow/sleet/hail. Haven't been without a horse very often since then.

Looking back I'm surprised my folks didn't worry more about a 6 year old saddling up his horse after school to go for a ride. More than once I got home after dusk but always found my dinner in the oven keeping warm.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
most of all my slingshot. Killed a chit load of birds, bullfrogs and rabbits with the slingshot and gravels i picked up off the dirt roads where i lived . There where hardy any paved roads in the late 50's and 60's

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
LEGOS..!

Had a TON of em. Don't know how many hundreds of them got sucked into the vacuum cleaner.

My little boy heard one of his Legos go up the vacuum sweeper yesterday. He was on the verge of tears until Momma calmed him down and explained that she'd dig it out of the cannister before she dumped it. Nothing finds stray legos like a vacuum, except for maybe bare feet. frown

Legos were my favorite. I kept them in my dads old shop vac.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A small (18") working fire truck, hoses and all.

Christmas time, out in the back yard, starting grass fires so I could put them out.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Daisy BB gun and my Camillus Stockman pocket knife.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
a rock, and a stick.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Melanie.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wtxj
A small (18") working fire truck, hoses and all.

Christmas time, out in the back yard, starting grass fires so I could put them out.

There was one of those at the local five-and-ten that I wanted so badly I could taste it. I didn't get it and it has haunted me ever since. I used to look on ebay and saw that they were selling for quite a bit of money. I would have bought one if I had ever seen one that was complete and in good working order.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
we ran a rope with stick handles on each end between the forks of two tress in the backyard and hooked the middle under the footstep of our homemade stilts sitting bottom up and angled on a couple of milk crates. On the count of three we could get a very nice flight out of them......until we sent one through the roof of the neighbor's garage.

I would still be running but...

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For me it was GI Joe, little plastic army men (WWII Germans vs USA), toy guns, and the like. I also had a great little frontier army fort with cowboy and Indian figures that I spent a lot of time with.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kathy.

Little green army men. Can't believe no one has mentioned those. I spent thousands of hours spitting and sputtering and creating artillery explosions with a sharp rap to a kitchen knife stuck in the dirt at a 45 degree angle.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still have mine....and it's never out of reach.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Glenfield model 60.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While we had a few traditional "toys", I can't really remember playing with any of them past the age of 7 or 8. We lived out in the country....five miles from the nearest neighbor and 8 from any of my friends.

Most of my time was spent in the woods and along the creek with a .22 rifle and spinning rod. I constantly had a trap line or string of set hooks in the creek and ran it every day. My mode of transportation was a bicycle and I made a 5-mile "run" every other day with a tow sack tied to the handlebars to collect coke bottles for the deposit (had to have some way to buy ammo for the .22).

I remember I almost always shot .22 shorts instead of .22 LR because the shorts were almost half the price. In those days an 8 year old kid could ride into town with a rifle strapped to his back, go into the hardware store and buy whatever ammo he wanted.....and no one thought anything about it. That store would actually sell shotgun shells one at a time.....or however many you could afford. many a time I'd pile my bottle deposit money on the counter and tell him I wanted a box of Shorts and however many shotgun shells this will buy.

When a gruop of kids did get together (and we weren't hunting or fishing or camping), we'd play whatever ball game someone had a ball for.....baseball, football, basketball. We were mostly cousins and played ball together from the age of 5 or 6. Maybe that's why we dominated high school sports (even though we were one of the smallest schools in the state) once we got to high school (three State Championships and multiple district/regional championship teams).

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I remember the Creepy Crawlers where you'd melt rubber/plastic compound and cast your own "creatures". Can't imagine parents stday turning a half dozen 7 and 8 year olds loose with moltent plastic.....but somehow we all survived.

While the creations were sort of OK.....we soon discovered that if you put a hook and small weight in the Crawles.....bass and bream couldn't resist. Mny a plastic worm, bug and crawfish were sacrificaed for a fish dinner.

I remember the first time I saw a commercial plastic worm (a Creme worm with the dual hook rig inside) I thought...."They stole our idea".....not knowing the Creme company had been making those baits for years. I still thought our baits worked better rigged on a small jig head. Tickles me when I see Bass pros winning tournaments today with the "amazing" Craw-worms and a jig......and I tink, "We were doing that in the mid-60's.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Melanie.

My favorite "patients " were Jackie and Jamie.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
the Green Machine (after wearing out 2 Big Wheels)

Who is John Galt?
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.