Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
I was fortunate to have a dad who was a regional manager of a five and dime store chain so my brother and I always had some cool toys around ...... one of my favorites was my Johnny 7 OMA (one man army), army men, tons of hot wheels and johnny lighting cars and miles of track, creepy crawly maker machine, 007 toys, batman utility belt, evil Knievel toys, Arnold Palmer golf course game, wrist rocket, red ryder, cox dune buggy, dragster and planes, estes rockets, slide show projector, chemistry set, old train set, slot car race track, model cars air planes and boats, slinkys, duncan tops and yo yo's, M-80's and black cats, sassafras whistles, june bugs and some thread, tinker toys, view master, snoopy snow cone machine,
man was I blessed... truth be told, Dad never had much in the way of toys growing up so he was just as big a kid as we were .... thanks Mom and Dad for a glorious childhood.

Now we know where tacti-cool actually started smile

Otto is my co-pilot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah I meant to mention the plastic pistols that shot the little yellow bbs. Great wars with those. Most got vaccummed up after the battle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A carbide cannon, like this one:

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Favorite ... toy ? ? ?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was a plastic little green man with moving arms and legs.

I don't know where I got him, but I got real attatched to him. He saw lots of action with all my treasured army men (toy soldiers).

'Playing' hard took a toll on him, he even lost a leg below the knee joint - so I white taped the stump and fitted him with a small blue plastic 'crutch' (from a polio fund drive?) and so extended his longevity.

When I got older, losing interest in my toys, it bothered me what to do with him. I couldnt just cast him aside, but he was getting creepy.

So one night in mad desperation I ...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cox remote controlled dune buggy.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not too many toys needed when a kid had a Wham O slingshot. Going from rubber strips to rubber tubing represented a great technological advance, increased velocity and greatly flatter trajectory. I took all the nuts from the old man's tub of machine screws which turned out to be great monometal projectiles. They whizzed like bees when shot and made the annoying neighbor kid descend from trees rather quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
her name was xxxxx( should really say the name), kinda a older childhood toy, still kids though, she was my favorite,

Still have my Sheridan pellet gun I mowed lawns and bought and a wrist rocket with new surgical rubber, not sure what happened to the bikes that took me places. Still have a solid glass Shakespeare fishing rod I picked fruit and bought. It caught a lot of fish over the years but has not been used in 40 years at least.

Last edited by 700LH; 06/06/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many of them. Probably several forgotten toy guns and knives. I remember getting a "Johnny Eagle" replica of a Colt SAA and Winchester that fired plastic cartridges. Johnny West, Chief Cherokee, Geronimo and Capt. Maddox were all well-used. I had two GI Joes, one of which I still have. A litany of plastic cowboys and Indians and a plastic frontier fort. Baseball glove and baseballs. Finally broke my bat. Worn out footballs and baseballs.

Probably GI Joe if I had to pick one. It's like picking one gun.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by gt50

What was your favorite childhood toy?

My Daisy Model 80 BB gun and my Marty Marion baseball glove.

Sadly I don't have either one now. cry

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Quite a few come to mind. Leggos and erector sets. My Crossman bolt action CO2 pelet gun. (I had the .22 cal.- not those whimpy .177 play toys!) Squirt guns were always a hit in the summer. And then there were the slingshots. 'Saved up my money and got the Whamo Wrist Rocket. Every squirrel in the neighborhood feared me, for they knew death and destruction was only a pocket full of rocks away. My first pocket knife was a special occasion too. A little two blade Barlow, which I still have to this day. That little knife's got more stories behind it than you can shake a stick at. 'Even gutted a deer with it one time when I forgot my bigger knife. 'Can't even beging to count how many fish, muskrats and beavers that little clip blade has dealt with over the years.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I remember the Creepy Crawlers where you'd melt rubber/plastic compound and cast your own "creatures". Can't imagine parents stday turning a half dozen 7 and 8 year olds loose with moltent plastic.....but somehow we all survived.
Yep. Same. Still vivid in my memory. Like it was last week. Can see the molds and all in vivid detail. I've often wondered what toxins we were exposing ourselves to as well.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe_redux
A Daisy, a baseball and glove, and a fishing rod.
Those are tools, not toys, fun though they are.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by doubletap
A hammer. I would use it to smash all my toys flat. My dad made me a solid, cast, indestructible car. When I learned that I couldn't smash it, I threw it away.
laugh

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Without question, it was my Daisy B B gun. If I had a dollar for every B B shot thru it, I would be a millionaire. A good developmental toy-tool.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.