Dotz do rule and make life oh so easy...grin

Dober

I totally agree!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Without even checking I can promise that that A-frame has a cruddy BC.

Next time I'm field dressing an Elk, I'm gonna ask that Elk if he cares about B.C. numbers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Going retro here but if the fella went with the old 3" high @ 100 he'd be right on @ 300, then 8" down @ 400 and 23" down @ 500. This is @ 45 degree and 7500'.

Pretty easy to sort on an elk. It's the way I did it for years pre dotz.

Dober

Yea, this worked for years and years-- and still works! I'm whining a bit here and I know it's a minor point (pun warning) but when you develop a bullet with the pointy end like the blunt end of a carrot, I'll probably go pick another for this application. I know, set it up with dots, a turret, or what have you, and you're fine, but your 7mm mag at 400 yds has become a 280 or 7mm-08 with a real pointy bullet in it which isnt all bad but You've given up something you initially went to the magnum for. Same was true with the old TBBC which now has grown a nice pointy plastic tip IIRC.

Oh, I know it will kill elk just fine but I'd take a hard look at the 140-gr TTSX or the 160-gr Nos Part for two examples.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot the 300gr SAF's from my .375 H&H and they shoot very well out to 300 yds (1.5"). Blew up a Cape Buffalo last summer in Zim. I love the bullet and think it will perform very well.

Are there better choices for long range accuracy? Yes. Will it matter out to 400 yds? No.

Now if you have aspirations for 500 plus yards then you may want to consider a higher BC bullet for the possible winds that you may encounter.

Good luck. You'll have fun

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Going retro here but if the fella went with the old 3" high @ 100 he'd be right on @ 300, then 8" down @ 400 and 23" down @ 500. This is @ 45 degree and 7500'.

Pretty easy to sort on an elk. It's the way I did it for years pre dotz.

Dober

Yea, this worked for years and years-- and still works! I'm whining a bit here and I know it's a minor point (pun warning) but when you develop a bullet with the pointy end like the blunt end of a carrot, I'll probably go pick another for this application. I know, set it up with dots, a turret, or what have you, and you're fine, but your 7mm mag at 400 yds has become a 280 or 7mm-08 with a real pointy bullet in it which isnt all bad but You've given up something you initially went to the magnum for. Same was true with the old TBBC which now has grown a nice pointy plastic tip IIRC.

Oh, I know it will kill elk just fine but I'd take a hard look at the 140-gr TTSX or the 160-gr Nos Part for two examples.

That's a better way of putting it than my ham-fisted typing <g>. That's all I'm saying. Hobbling a 7STW with a .325 BC bullet just seems wrong to me when there's no real reason to do so.

BUT, if the hunting is ~400 yds or closer, then I must concede that there's no reason NOT to, either! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait till I tell you about the time I ran round nose Horns in my Mashburn... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol... sounds like forming loads I used one time to get usable brass for my 300WM... flat-nose 150's I bought to load in a 30-30!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/06/11.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I once bought 3 boxes of old 200 Horn flat point 338's for my .340 and man were they accurate! And they were adequate on the chucks as well...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't there a man-law about 7-mags getting pointy bullets? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'..........

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol... look at my Levi's brand sandbag in the picture there... and I'm bustin' balls over BC... whistle

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
163-bc, I used a Swift A Frames in a 7mm magnum model 70 rifle that my wife and I have both shot while hunting big game. I have used the 140 grn bullet on mule deer and it was a good bullet. However, I liked the 160 grn bullet better for bull elk and the wind out West. The Swift A-Frame is the #1 big game bullet in my eyes you betcha!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I should add that I think the Swift-A and TBBC bullets are fine premium bullets; I did my own penetration test in the early 90's with most of the premiums available then and the Swift did well almost matching but not quite the same weight Nos Part out of a 340 but with a bigger "mushroom".

I just didn't like the truncated nose; again not that they aren't just fine. Just my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lol... look at my Levi's brand sandbag in the picture there... and I'm bustin' balls over BC... whistle

The B.C. of an A-Frame won�t matter much until you get a ways out there � further than I�ve ever attempted a shot. I figure its about like the Grand Slams I used for 20+ years and their �poor� B.C. never cost me an animal.

Much more important to me is the construction. While I only load the 120g in my Bob and have never taken game with it, I have used North Fork quite a bit and my hunting buddy has used Trophy Bonded. All are similar in that they have a bonded core up front. The North Forks and Trophy Bonded have performed without any issues.

In 2007 I switched from 160g North Fork in my 7mm RM to the 140g version. One of the 140�s went from the lower right ham to the sternum on a forkhorn mulie. That kind of penetration I can live with and I wouldn�t hesitate to use that bullet on an elk � same with the Trophy Bonded or A-Frame bullets.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/08/11. Reason: Replaced "B.C. of a TBBC" with "B.C. of an A-Frame"

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to imagine many, or any, reasonable big game situations that an A Frame would be a bad choice.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The trophy bonded bear claws were a great bullet, but Speer acted like they were selling gold, and didn't seem to want anyone to use them!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[bleep], I'd use that bullet/cartridge combo on a grizzly bear if I crossed paths with one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The B.C. of an A-Frame won�t matter much until you get a ways out there � further than I�ve ever attempted a shot. I figure its about like the Grand Slams I used for 20+ years and their �poor� B.C. never cost me an animal.

Much more important to me is the construction. While I only load the 120g in my Bob and have never taken game with it, I have used North Fork quite a bit and my hunting buddy has used Trophy Bonded. All are similar in that they have a bonded core up front. The North Forks and Trophy Bonded have performed without any issues.

In 2007 I switched from 160g North Fork in my 7mm RM to the 140g version. One of the 140�s went from the lower right ham to the sternum on a forkhorn mulie. That kind of penetration I can live with and I wouldn�t hesitate to use that bullet on an elk � same with the Trophy Bonded or A-Frame bullets.

Yeah.

It's just... it's a 7 STW, ya know? A .325 BC bullet in a big 7 mag just hits me wrong.

I'm sure it hammers chit like a big dog, within it's limitations. The limitations bug me though. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'm sure it hammers chit like a big dog, within it's limitations. The limitations bug me though. smile

Jeff the limitations are really few,if they exist at all......and likely beyond the distances most should be wailing away.I'd expect to see a dead elk to 500-600 yards,if the guy knew the rifle and how to manage it.

There are a couple of good reasons for using the Swift, or similar bullets (tough premiums)in a fast cartridge, and not all of them have to do with just flight characteristics.Of course one is flatter trajectory,and IME a SAF stays with a Nosler Partition to 400 yards.

One other thing I have noticed with such bullets is that the faster you drive them, the better they expand to provide that tissue crushing action that goes with a good sized frontal area,and the higher velocity and rpm's help them expand more fully to distance.If they are at all like a BBC in this regard(reliable people with lot of experience say they are,including Bill Steigers)they should be wicked killers.

Been corresponding with a knowledgeable guy from Down Dnder who has sent some photos of recovered Barnes bullets driven at 3500+ from a 300 Weatherby and they look like a whole different animal from those I see here, driven from standard cartridges.

In short, speed kills.Any handicap with a Swift Aframe is hard to imagine in the real world.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, as a simple statement of fact I could hit better/more consistently with an equally accurate bullet of much higher BC than this A-frame. A .325 BC really is getting into the realm of where (I think) BC can be said to become relevant even just for the more casual intermediate-range hunter.

Hell, I can see this shooting 140 NBT's and 162 Amax's from my 7-08 on the same day- like I did yesterday and today. And the 140 NBT has a BC of up around .470 if memory serves. It just has a considerably bigger "dispersion cone" in variable conditions. More error. You've seen this, right?

But let me add, a guy with a big 7 running very accurate 140 SAF's would have one wicked killing machine in his hands- that's for certain! I see the appeal. Sort of a precise, blunt tool <grin>.

It's been perfect shooting conditions here... Mid-60's and calm...

Last edited by Jeff_O; 06/11/11.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You make it sound like shooting an Aframe is like throwing rocks..... grin

Got a picture somewhere,of a group fired a few months ago with a 7 mag...at 300 yards(yes, rock throwing distance),4 shots...3 of them with a 140AB...and the 4th,cold barrel,with a 140 Bitterroot,into the same group.Same/same.

This truly is all I need to know....the other crap at further distance has already been worked out.....I'd substitute a 140 Swift AF,check zero, and go hunting. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/11/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 36 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.