Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Do people actually hunt with a rifle or shotgun that has a high grade walnut or other type of wood stock? All of my top dollar rifles have McMillian. To me it would be like taking a fine piece of wood furniture out in the woods? Your thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A coat of Johnson's paste wax protects from the environment. A modicum of respect handles the rest.
Of course, some folks are just careless, and could screw up a ball bearing.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've yet to own a rifle/stock that cost more than my truck, and I have zero problems take it out everyday. Hell, I don't own anything more valuable than me and I go out in the [bleep].

Still, I'd rather run a McMillan, not for fear of scratches/dent, but because they are a better mousetrap.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you fins a McMillan for that 99 of yours?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No such critter.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt mine. That's what they were made for.

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several friends with whole cabinets of guns with beautiful wood..can't knock em for their looks but that's where they stay..not my cup of tea.If I buy em with nice wood they go to the field that way.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nothing Like Character Marks... Mine Has Several, But Like Most Their On Mcmillans..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All of my rifles wear MPI stocks except for my 17HMR(saving for a MPI thumbhole for that one) Yes, wood is "warmer" then fiberglass and the beauty of a fine walnut stock is unparallelled, but, you just have less to worry about with glass stocks. There have been long and detailed threads written about how to seal and care for a wood stock so that it won't warp or swell under inclamate weather conditions. I just don't see the reason to worry about that for myself. Different strokes for different folks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Do people actually hunt with a rifle or shotgun that has a high grade walnut or other type of wood stock?

Yes. I have.....That's what they were built for. They ain't Chipendale China.... smile

We think nothing of taking a factory hunk of wood on a Ruger,Rem, or Winchester afield.....stocks don't get more fragile just because they are pretty.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
And, in fact, most beautiful wood stocks made by good stockmakers will be much tougher than a factory wood stock: better finish, better sealant, and of much higher quality, denser, wood.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The stock is very easily fixed,it's the sleet on the blueing that causes concern.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do people actually hunt with a rifle or shotgun that has a high grade walnut or other type of wood stock?

Absolutely I hunt with my fine wood stocked rifles. As a friend of mine is fond of saying: "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun". I put a lot of love and effort into my rifle projects - which makes it all the more rewarding to hunt with them. With my custom M70 below has taken an 8 1/2' brown bear, 30" aoudad, and a 185 whitetail - all last year. And it will be getting another hard season this year. My rifles are tools and get used and shot a LOT. I dont treat them any differently than i would a tupperware stocked gun and my rifles have the battle scars to show for it. Last season my M70 spent 2 days in torrential downpour in Alaska and 3 days in MO in solid rain the entire time. After the hunt all that is needed is a thorough wiping and oiling and it is as good as new.

There is a satisfaction and joy of hunting with a rifle that I have put the effort into from selecting the perfect blank to developing loads for the finished project that cant be matched with an off the shelf or tupperware stocked rifle.

I have a classy little full stocked Mauser in 7x57 project int he works and already have plans for it that will likely guarantee battle scars and I am really looking forward to it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats a beauty!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How about all the time spent finding just the right 3 color swirl for a rifle, figuring out right barrel contour and twist and load work up?

Let the masturbatory fantasies fly.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Indeed I do. It adds a lot to the hunting experience for me. I have beautiful stocks by the Biesens and Jim Kobe. I try to be careful, but don't go to pieces if and when one picks up a character mark.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty rifle. Looks brand new.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If I have it and it's functional, I'll hunt with it. That being said, those that perform best for me in the areas I deem most important get hunted the most.

All of these....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I killed with this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But there are those that I hunt with more...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have better than average wood on ALL of my hunting rifles, most of it custom. Hunt them, and hunt them hard. Attractive wood stocks add to the hunting experience for me. Dings are a good thing if honestly earned and when I need to or want to re-finishing ain't that big of a deal. My Walnut stocked rifles have been in the wet of SE ALaska, the cold of the Alskan pennisula in Oct, and drug through all kinds of thornbrush in Africa as well as atop horses, ATV's, up and down mountains here and I do not see myself changing from that M.0.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the look of a nicely done wood stocked rifle with deep rich bluing as much as the next guy. I think what I'm seeing here and probably else where are the photo's of these rifles taken after delivery cause I haven't seen a mark on them. The stock on my Husky (McMillan) looks like crap with all the chips and all and I can just imagine what it would look like if it wore a handsome stick of walnut. Like I said to BobinNH not long ago, a Porsche is meant to be driven hard and can take it as well, but they look like [bleep] with door dents.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,627
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.