Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
YEP! Still love my ancient Mauser .375 H&H - but see no reason not to go try a Ruger .375

Terry

GB1

375 Ruger ~$750-$1000 Rifle Alaskan or African

375 H&H ~$1250 starting price

The Ruger can be built via standard and not magnum--saving cost and weight. This is the niche that Ruger went after. To say they are better then the H&H---well, 100 years from now, the agruements will continue. For me, Ruger Alaskan has served me well with out breaking the bank. Saved enough for a couple of trophy fees!!!!! New & "Better" calibers will come and go--just like yogurt, TP, candy bars, beer . . . . . That's a fact we can not stop!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the comments.

I really like the Ruger African. Rugers have always fit me well, the African is no different.

Good advice on the Ruger vs H+H variety. I like the Ruger case better than the H+H simply because doesn't require a mag length action. I'm also not fond of belts on any cartridge.

A consideration for you guys: Lets say I buy the H+H variety and lose my shells before hitting camp. Do most PH's carry enough 375 ammo to re-sight my rifle for their ammo? I can't see simply using loads not developed for my rifle without first shooting enough of them to ensure I can hit what I'm shooting at.

Another consideration: assume their is no back-up rifle in camp. Can the answer be as simple as going into town and buying a new rifle? That has always been my back-up plan when I'm on an out of state hunt.

BTW: My first choice would be a Winchester Classic in 375 but they don't come much cheaper than ~ $1300.

Of the 3 (Ruger, CZ, Winchester) which is the better choice for a 375?

Thanks again.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You wont be buying a new rifle in Africa very easy and it if you do, getting out of the country will be complicated but do-able. Getting into the USA when you did not buy it here will be a freaking complicated mess. So if you did buy one you would likely make it a "donation" that nobody could take from you! They must have a permit which takes months for each gun they own. So bottom line, not a likely solution.

PH's will have 375HH ammo or in most cases know where there is a bunch, it's never in short supply and you will not struggle to get a 375HH rifles or ammo to use from anyplace you would likely hunt. It's one of the standards in southern Africa, much like the .223/308/30-06/7mag are in the USA.

Any of them are fine 375 foundations. The Ruger is a hell for stout product that has the best safety ever designed into a rifle.

The Winchester is likely the most "in demand" action for DG by many PH's. However the CZ may be the most commonly used in Southern Africa. Mine is a Model 70, and I would not want anything other then this.

Of the three the Ruger has the least smooth CRF design. I think it will capture the case with some "tuning" but of those I've seen and used ( I own two) they seem to push feed the case rather far into the action before the claw actually grabs the case. The Winchester and the CZ ( and all other true CRF guns) have the case slide under the claw right from the Magazine.

Jorge said that he thinks some of the Hawkeyes do this flawless from the factory, but none I have seen work as well as the mod-70 and the CZ or any other true CRF rifle. There is something odd about the feed from the magazine to the claw with the Ruger action. It's a CRF design but needs some tuning to get that rim under the extractor right from the magazine. All of them I have seen have a timing issue that makes them push feed almost the whole way to the chamber.

I have a .223 hawkeye that is absolutely a push feed to the chamber, it's the same action just smaller. I have a 25/06 hawkeye that only gets the rim under the claw within 1/2" of the chamber. The clients that have hunted with me using there rifles all had the exact same timing condition as well.

Just something to check before you decide. I'm not sure most users recognize this until pointed out. A true CRF captures the case from the instant it leaves the magazine until it's in the chamber and then until it's ejected from the action. I have never seen the Ruger work like this on probably more then 50 rifles inspected. They all engage the rim someplace along the way, but not always as it leaves the magazine.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
Thanks for all the comments.

I really like the Ruger African. Rugers have always fit me well, the African is no different.

Good advice on the Ruger vs H+H variety. I like the Ruger case better than the H+H simply because doesn't require a mag length action. I'm also not fond of belts on any cartridge.

A consideration for you guys: Lets say I buy the H+H variety and lose my shells before hitting camp. Do most PH's carry enough 375 ammo to re-sight my rifle for their ammo? I can't see simply using loads not developed for my rifle without first shooting enough of them to ensure I can hit what I'm shooting at.

Another consideration: assume their is no back-up rifle in camp. Can the answer be as simple as going into town and buying a new rifle? That has always been my back-up plan when I'm on an out of state hunt.

BTW: My first choice would be a Winchester Classic in 375 but they don't come much cheaper than ~ $1300.

Of the 3 (Ruger, CZ, Winchester) which is the better choice for a 375?

Thanks again.
.....Winters............The Ruger imo, is the best choice for a DG rifle. Good planning always helps. I assume that any PH you use, just might have an email address for contact? A simple solution would be to ask him if he has any back-up rifles. Besides and to begin with, I wouldn`t use a PH unless he had some back up rifles.

So regardless of which 375 cartridge you choose, the H&H or the Ruger, there are always going to be easily solved solutions justifying adding a 375 Ruger to your inventory. All this ammo availabilty business concerning the what if this` or the what if thats or the lack thereof when it comes to the 375 Ruger in Africa, is really quite overblown imo.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I were buying the rifle strictly for use in Africa, I would go with a rifle chambered for the H&H. This is based on my experience in Africa (Zim) with missing ammo for an H&H and replacement ammo was located in no time flat. Replacement ammo for a 7mm Rem Mag was a different story as there was none to be found. This jives with JJ's statements that finding H&H ammo is relatively easy. I know other people have used the .375 Ruger successfully in Africa and a few rifles are surely floating around over there being used, but at this point in time and in the foreseeable future I don't think the ammo for it will be very commonly available. Thus my choice for the H&H.

In terms of rifles, I would personnally spend the money for a M70 Classic in .375 H&H and put my worries away. I would always pick the M70 over the CZ (too heavy for a .375 and I like the safety on the M70 better) and the Ruger (not chambered for what I want).

That's just my 2 cents. That all being said, if I were you and found one rifle fit me better or felt better in my hand over the others, I'd choose that one and not worry too much about weight, safety style or chambering and just go with it. Even if you choose the Ruger and loose your ammo, its a certainty that there will be another rifle in camp that you can borrow and in most instances, your ammo and/or rifle will show up in a few days so there really isn't a need to get too worried about it all. It does suck when you can't use the rifle that you've been planning on using and practicing with, but such is life and you'll deal with it just like hunters are continuously dealing with the unexpected everywhere they go.

Best of luck to you in what ever you choose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In regard to which factory/off the shelf .375 H&H to buy, I wholeheartedly agree with choosing the M70. Less needs to be done (and less $$ in the big picture) to get it Africa ready.

Another option (if you can find one for a good price) is the Whitworth (not to be confused with the Mark X) that was imported by Interarms. A damn fine rifle that balances and shoulders beautifully.

The CZ 550 while a good rifle, is simply too heavy for my tastes. Not only that, but the wood stock feels like a thick, heavy, unbalanced/unwieldy club. Takes some time and effort to get the action smooth as well.

I purchased a CZ 550 Safari .300WM for my first Safari in 2005. The action was the Magnum sized action (same used for the BIG bores). I couldn't get rid of it fast enough upon my return from Namibia!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The CZ is a better rifle and the H&H is far more established, the choice is simple IMO.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would go the 375 H&H if I could get a trim rifle. The CZ is definately too heavy for the caliber and I was most disappointed when I shouldered one of the new FN M70 Safari Expresses in 375 H&H.

They have used the same barrel profile for the 458, 416 and the 375 and whilst its not too bad in the 458 in the 375 its like shouldering a truck axle.

Just such a shame they did not profile the new Safari Experess on the pre 64.......

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The real issue here is how available is and will be 375 Ruger ammo in Africa. The PH's aren't going to run out and buy a new Ruger to replace their 375 H&H.

But more Americans will be coming to Africa with a 375 Ruger rifle. Ergo, the demand for 375 Ruger ammo will be there.

Seems to me a PH may want to buy a box of 375 Ruger ammo to keep on hand for present and future clients.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes Mr. Hack the model 70 is one great rifle! One can not own enough of them in my humble opinion. Sort of like good hunting dogs one is nice but a dozen is a dream come true, especially if they are top bred German Shorthair Pointers.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You cannot possess ammo for a rifle which you do not have a permit. PH's and outfitters will not be stocking ammo for firearms they do not have permits for. Nor can they even buy it for you ahead of time, or accept it thru the mail or by any other means. They cannot have it in their possession! The risk is jail time and loss of all gun permits for them......forever more!

It's not likely that the few gun shops there are would carry a selection of 375Ruger ammo without the strong demand from locals (not gonna happen) and when 99% of international sportsman bring ammo and never lose it, then why would they stock ammo for that minuscule fraction of visitors? The problem is, when you as a visitor fall into that "minuscule" category!

The 375Ruger as you say will not likely ever be an African cartridge because the installed base of HH's is so overwhelming. Since you cannot have ammo for the 375ruger unless you have an ownership permit for one...... well that is a hurdle of epic proportions to establish that cartridge outside of Alaska. Africans are not Americans. They buy a truck and put a million k's on it. They don't buy a new truck every few years. They buy a gun that is functional and ammo that works. The Gun shop owners have said for a while now that the Ruger version is a lost cause for Africans. " our hunters buy what works not what glitters" translated from Afrikaans is a frequent statement from the gun store owners.

Their view mirrors the South African gun owning population. Basic functional and long lasting is the way things are viewed in Africa. It's a long way to repair or buy new ammo. The latest and greatest stuff will be several decades old and proven elsewhere before it's use is considered normal here! One other issue is reloading. I would say from those gun owners I know, maybe 1 in 50 PH's or gun owners in general reload. Factory ammo for locals is almost 100% of the stuff we shoot. There are also a number of basement hand loaders that reload ammo for lots of PH's. They would still need to have the permits for the 375Ruger. They usually reload the common stuff only that they have permits for.

There will be the odd one here and there but the reality is it cannot overthrow 100 years of established seniority here in Africa. Not any more then the 8mm rem mag did. The Ruger Rifle is a great piece of hardware, the 375Ruger cartridge is the functional equal, at least that of the HH cartridge but not enough more that would be a deciding factor over the HH version.

There will not likely ever be a demand for a cartridge that does not provide any functional advantage over the HH, only the very big hurdle of available ammo. YMMV

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i dont know the situation on this caliber for africa but i can find it here in whitehorse ....

when i lived in africa it was a long time ago in the 80s and 90s the only calibers i was able to find and buy was the 7,62x39 and .45acp

i doubt that even today except in hunting camps in most of african countries you ll find a gunstore, a real gunsmith and /or official case of ammo. (maybe Zim, RSA, Namibia, zambia ?, bostwana ?) but what about Cameroon, CAR and a lot of others ???!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was going 375 H&H, I would also consider these Kimber rifles. They also are controlled round feed. I would probably choose the Talkeetna, but that's just my taste.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/caprivi

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/talkeetna

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ever since they've come out, I always figured the Talkeetna would be what I hauled to Africa.

If I ever get a chance to go is another story...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well for me an easy issue. I have a CZ in 9.3X62. Of the two rounds for Africa the 375H&H without question. There is a reason that the H&H is the standard others are compaired too. While the CZ is a bit heavy, in a heavier recoiling rifle about the last thing I would want is really light weight rifle.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I can't comment on the Ruger, but i've been impressed with the CZ 550. The ruger is a better set up from the factory for africa, but that also depends on what you want. Everyone i've talked to who have owned h&h's and then bought the rugers loved the rugers, more than the h&h's. my 2 cents

"I didn't get these scars falling over in church"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I strongly prefer the Hawkeye rifle to the CZ, but not the Ruger 375 cartridge. Best option is finding a used Hawkeye and rechamber/ rebarrel to the 375 HH cartridge.

That's a nice thought, but I don't think the H&H round will fit in the standard length Ruger action. Ruger made their magnum action for that round and larger.

I rarely read mention of the Ruger magnum rifle (M77RSM). Doesn't anybody here like them?

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I rarely read mention of the Ruger magnum rifle (M77RSM). Doesn't anybody here like them?

Probably because they're too heavy for a .375 H&H

By the time you add a scope, rings, ammo, and a sling it trips the scale between 11 1/2 to 12 pounds. eek

Nice rifles though. Especially with the quarter rib.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know they are big, heavy rifles. I always wanted one in 416 Rigby. Why, I don't know, but want one nonetheless.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 12,381 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,023
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.